PDA

View Full Version : Murray portrait WIP

rmc
09-22-2006, 03:00 AM
Yes - it's me again :wave: - another portrait :lol: - this is my husband - who when I first said I might try some painting said "oh yeah, how about you paint me' ....I replied 'darling - wait a couple of years until I learn", but as you can see sometimes we can't learn a thing....
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Sep-2006/83066-murray3.jpg
and this is the poor man I have done this to
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Sep-2006/83066-murray4.jpg
I increased sat and contrast to compensate for flash washout - he is never home in daylight - so hopefully can come up with something respectable.
As always your eyes and advice are my inspiration to try harder and learn. Thanks friends:clap:

Lulu
09-22-2006, 03:36 AM
You're really on a roll Ruth! What an inspiration you are.
Great work here too, just suspect that his right side of face (our left) is a tad too wide?

3chaway9
09-22-2006, 05:37 AM
Your doing well Ruth....excellent...check the bottom of his nose and eyebrows..looking good.:thumbsup: :clap:

rmc
09-22-2006, 06:52 AM
Thanks for those eyes, Carrie and Lulu - I've adjusted the corner of his jaw - and brought the eyebrows down a bit plus lots of other little fiddles. I think I am getting close to cololur layers unless anyone see anything wrong.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Sep-2006/83066-murray5.jpg
My husband is actually, dare I say this, impressed, but it's not over yet.....

LisaArt
09-22-2006, 07:19 AM
Hi Ruth..Great adjustment..looking great...you did a super job on his lips and eyes...
He is very handsome your hubby! :)

rmc
09-22-2006, 08:29 AM
Thanks Lisa - you are too kind ..... he's looking at the rugby out of the corner of his eye - no wonder he looks a bit worried!
An update while I wait for the first colour layer to dry... oops can see I have deformed the nose - will correct that with next layer
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Sep-2006/83066-murray6.jpg

rmc
09-22-2006, 10:36 AM
This is it for the night - will check in the morning and correct where needed
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Sep-2006/83066-murray7.jpg

dreamz
09-22-2006, 12:38 PM
Your realy kicking these portraits out!! looking good so far

valchina612
09-22-2006, 12:38 PM
This is looking GREAT Ruth, and may I say your husband is a really good-looker. :clap: :clap: :thumbsup:

Val. :wave:

TxAggieDarlin
09-22-2006, 01:01 PM
Man, this gets better every time I see an update........you are doing a fantastic job.

rmc
09-22-2006, 08:43 PM
Oh this is interesting - I went to post an update, but named the photo the same as prev and WC has already installed it - the wonders of technology!!!
Thanks Doc, the only way to learn is keep doing it ---I hate not being able to do something - stubborn eh.
Thanks for looking in Val, I have xposted to portraits to hear from the professionals!!! You are always so encouraging
Thanks Aggie, you are very kind
Hope I am not being too boring with all these postings - helps to while away the tedium while I wait for the washes to dry, but at this stage this is going on the shelf..... until I spot something to correct!

Lady Carol
09-22-2006, 09:44 PM
Awesome work, Ruth. You can certainly knock out a portrait, superbly.

rmc
09-23-2006, 06:35 AM
Thanks Carol - I can see lots of details that need fixing - there is a slight cromagnon look about it which disturbs me - I hope I can improve it.

rmc
09-23-2006, 09:04 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Sep-2006/83066-murray8.jpg
I've fiddled a bit and improved head contour and expression - happier for now

objectivistartist
09-23-2006, 12:07 PM
wow

Robert

www.visioneerwindows.blogspot.com

dreamz
09-23-2006, 01:32 PM
I can hardly wait for your next one... People are going to be clammering for your work

:clap: :clap: paint ME ruth, paint ME Ruth :clap: :clap:

so dort
09-23-2006, 05:36 PM
I didn't think that the original looked that much like the photo with the problems already stated. Now as you put the color on and reaaranged him a little, he's a changed man! You do have the talent for the right colors in the right places. Great .:thumbsup: :) He is indeed a handsome man>:)

rmc
09-23-2006, 05:51 PM
Thanks So Dort - I think I will continue working in layers as it lets me see mistakes and keep trying until I get closer to a likeness - it's all a journey and I don't have any real talent - just very careful assessing!!!
Dreamz - what can I say -----I can't really for laughing so hard ---you have such a sense of fun.

Lulu
09-23-2006, 09:07 PM
Ruth, Ruth...........you have ENORMOUS talent!!! this is looking so good.
I know you use w/c paper, do you use the acrylic like waterc (i.e. watered down) or do you use as full-bodied acrylics? Just wondering how you can correct, as for me it would not be possible to fiddle a lot if I was doing it watercolour style.

Love his expression - was it a tense game???:D

rmc
09-23-2006, 09:55 PM
Hi Lulu, you are too kind - I'm discovering that accuracy only comes with lots of measuring. I use the acrylics like w/c - believe me lots of very watery brushstrokes that I then often wash off again if they don't look like I expected - I use so little actual paint it is ridiculous - (it is a problem if I have painted a mayor defect) - but the adjustments are so minute that make the difference between being close or being dreadful - I also have to do a really careful study/ sketch with tonal values before hand - and then I rub it all out so only very faint lines remain to guide me and finally I get to bore everyone with endless postings because I see all my mistakes on w/c - blind to them just on my normal screen
So what does that tell you - not talent just sheer determination to not screw it up too much

rmc
09-24-2006, 04:42 PM
I've been studying and thinking why he looks 'wrong' and realized he is too 2D - the old grey scale of the painting has come to my aid- I have darkened the shadows to set the side of his face back and make it less 2 dimensional - this has rescued his face from the shadows!!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Sep-2006/83066-Murray8.jpg

yayamama
09-24-2006, 06:27 PM
You have really captured him. I hope he is pleased with the portrait.
Nice work

Yayamama

Fingerpaint
09-25-2006, 05:30 PM
That is a lovely job you've done there. Portraiture really escapes me, so when I see something as natural and lovely as this it's nothing short of inspirational....ah, maybe one day!

BullyInNZ
09-25-2006, 05:45 PM
Wow Ruth!! Amazing Job!! your colouring is awesome,looks so real! Has given me the urge ive been lacking to pick my brushes up again! All the Best....Tony

Margaret 59
09-25-2006, 06:01 PM
Ditto what Bully said, Ruth. Great job!

rmc
09-25-2006, 06:16 PM
Hey Margaret and Tony, lovely of you to pop in - nice to see kiwis- maybe one day we might even meet up!! Thanks for your encouragement - I've got a couple of commissions to do (friends and family of course) - lots still to learn and improve though.
Thanks Fingerpaint - looks like you already have a complete gift for wildlife....

Lulu
09-25-2006, 07:10 PM
Great finish Ruth. A few years ago we had a wetcanvas gathering at our home when we were on the farm, had one member (Ivyleaf) visiting from America. One member came from the Sth Island too. Was a great get-together.:)