PDA

View Full Version : Question: Winsor and Newton Galleria Paints

davidelliott
09-21-2006, 08:42 PM
I got a few tubes of primary colors, 2 blues, red and a yellow.

Is this cheap paint or something? I did a painting with another brand (Reeves - it was a starter set of mini-tubes)and had no problems covering the pencilled picture I put down on canvas. Now with the W&N acylics, I can see the pencils right through the paints! No matter how many coats I do, it's the same thing.

Since I'm new to this, I'm not sure if this is common with the W&N paints.

HELP! I don't wat to have to repaint the whole picture again and I hope I didn't waste my money on these 4 tubes of paint.

TIA, David

Lady Carol
09-21-2006, 10:21 PM
W&N Galleria are student grade paints and therefore they will not have the pigment load of W&N Finity. W&N Finity are the artist quality.

Although having said that some colours are transparent and will show the pencil marks, thus several layers of colour may be required to cover the lines.

dreamz
09-22-2006, 02:02 AM
read the back if they are transparent it doesnt matter what quality they are they wont cover the pencil lines w/o adding some white

LisaArt
09-22-2006, 03:04 AM
Hi...David...I use W&N galleria too sometimes...for under and thick coats and I always mix with some white to make it more opaque....as Dreamz said ...add a little white to the paint and cover and then do a second coat (wash) with the colour you want...without the white...

even the more expensive brand do not always cover the pencil lines entirely (if heavy) for a thin coat.

WaltWally
09-22-2006, 03:05 AM
As a professional cartoonist, I recommend, on future paintings, paint your black linework w/black acrylic. When it is COMPLETELY dry, erase your pencil lines with an art gum or vinyl eraser, making sure you brush off all the eraser crumbs. Then you may use opaque OR transparent paints.

davidelliott
09-22-2006, 04:54 AM
Thanks for al the replies and input!!

In thinking about it, I can actually do all the black lines and that should cover up the pencil on the red parts, the yellow parts I can mix with some white OR use some of the Reeves goldenrod yellow with white.

Thanks again!

RachelL
09-23-2006, 06:35 AM
I use Galleria paints and have the same trouble. Even when i think i have rubbed out a line as much as i can and paint over in white the lines still come through. If i'm painting from a photo i like to use a grid to keep scale. In the future i'm going to try sketching out in paint not pencil. When i have some money i may try the Infinity paints.

dreamz
09-23-2006, 02:48 PM
You can also try sketching in chalk, use the lightest color possible. I use either pale yellow or pale blue when sketching in over a background

Fingerpaint
09-24-2006, 04:39 PM
Good idea about sketching with chalks! The chalk should disintegrate rather than stay there like pencil.

I bought my first set of Infinitys and they are great, although I couldn't afford to use them to cover large areas of canvass. I was going to go for the Galleria next for the big areas, and a more expensive paint for the "select" areas.