PDA

View Full Version : Richard McKinley - examples of art in progress?

artist_pw
09-20-2006, 11:21 PM
Hi:

I thought I saw an article somewhere about how Richard McKinley does his pastels. Does anyone have examples photos or know of an article somewhere with a series of progressive images? I'm just curious because I like being able to see how particular artists work, and I really like the overall look of his paintings. Thanks for any info.

Lance562
09-21-2006, 10:24 AM
He has written some articles for the Pastel Journal, but I'm not sure if any of them have WIPs. I get the feeling that his method of working is similar to that of Albert Handell... pastel over watercolor, allowing some of the watercolor to show through. He has a DVD coming out soon. I'm looking forward to it.

sundiver
09-21-2006, 01:40 PM
He has a book out on plein air that apparently shows his steps.

Lance562
09-21-2006, 01:52 PM
He has a book out on plein air that apparently shows his steps.

Wendy,
I think you may be thinking of Richard McDaniel who recently published the book "Plein Air Painting in Pastel", which I highly recommend.

According to McKinley's website (http://www.mckinleystudio.com) these are his published articles:

Included in:

"A Painters Guide to Design and Composition", North Light Books, Jan.,2006 by Margot Schulzke
"Pure Color, the Best of Pastel", North Light Books, Fall 2005
Pastel Journal, December 2005, "From the Master's Hand", by Loraine Crouch
Cover, Pastel Journal, Nov. / Dec. 2003, "Broken Top Evening"
Focus Santa Fe, Aug. / Sept. 2003, "The Profound Wonder of Simple Places" by Wolfgang Mabry

Articles written by Richard McKinley:

Pastel Journal, October 2005, "Overcoming Obstacles"
Pastel Journal, December 2004, "Winter: An Unexpected Bounty of Inspiration"
Pastel Journal, August 2004, "Destination Painting"
Pastel Journal, February 2004, "Right Before Your Eyes"
Pastel Journal, Nov. / Dec. 2003, "Am I Done Yet?"
Pastel Journal, Sept. / Oct. 2003, "Pushing the Medium"
Pastel Journal, July / Aug. 2003, ""Go Ahead, Break the Rules"
Pastel Journal, May / June 2003, "Becoming Your Own Editor"
Pastel Journal, March / April 2003, "From Plein Air to Studio Work"

His DVD should soon be available from Artist Productions (http://www.artistproductions.net/artvideos.htm). I have several of their DVDs that they have produced and they are always well done.

artist_pw
09-21-2006, 03:46 PM
Hi:

I did see McKinley's website, but since my Pastel Journals aren't organized, and he has had some workshops where I thought someone may have taken photos, I thought I'd ask if anyone had seen a progression. I know his work is somewhat similar to Handell's, but I was particularly interested in McKinley's. Anyway, thanks for the info.

artist_pw
09-28-2006, 09:04 PM
Hi:

Voila! I found a partial stash of my old Pastel Journals, and found one that had what I was looking for. It was the Sept/OCt 2003 issue, that had the topic 'Surfaces and Underpainting' and the article 'Pushing the Medium with Creative Surfaces and Underpainting' by Richard McKinley. That was the one I remember seeing. Thanks for all the tips.

Bobbie
10-02-2006, 12:15 PM
I love Richard McKinley's work - he's one of my favorites. Wish he would come to our "Hurricane State" :) to give a workshop - I would be there in a heartbeat.