PDA

View Full Version : Please help with Labeling

kjsspot
03-23-2002, 05:23 PM
Hey ya'll! Please help me out before I revamp my site. (dreamPleaseweaver coming in a few days)

WHAT should I call this section of art? I did not think ahead of time that Conceptual Art usually refers to art that is not a painting. However I don't know where this style of art would fit and I'm trying to divide things up into sections for easier viewing and greater consistency.

http://www.kjmontoya.com/conceptual.html

Second, I probably should have put Contemporary Art or Abstract art on this section instead of Modern Art. But I don't know if Abstract would apply to all that will eventually be in there. What if I do an Expressionistic piece. Or a cubist or surrealistic piece. Those are not Abstract per say, so in your opinion would Contemporary Art fit better or do you have another suggestion?

http://www.kjmontoya.com/modern.html

AND lastly, (I think hee hee) on my home page, please vote for which way you prefer. I will be keeping the Featured Work on the home page. The link/thumbnails to my other pages is what I am questioning.

http://www.kjmontoya.com

As is with thumbnails?
Buttons like on other pages and no thumbnails?
No button, but simple links?

THANK you all for your time and assistance!! =)

Pit
03-23-2002, 05:48 PM
Hi kjsspot,

at first , sorry for my bad english, it could take some mistakes.

You wrote:

> As is with thumbnails?
> Buttons like on other pages and no thumbnails?
> No button, but simple links?

I think at first you could change the design at all, is crudely. I am an Designer, hobying in Watercolor, friend of the open source community, and so i offerate you a cost-free redesign of your sites only for an remark "made by" and my company (only on the page "impressum", or such).

To your Question: better would be art-changed thumbnails and an other user inteface.

cu Peter

kjsspot
03-23-2002, 06:07 PM
Thank you for your reply Peter. I will have to politely turn down your offer though as this is my baby and it will stay as my baby. =) I also do not find my site crude at all. Perhaps you would be clearer in stating specifically what you find as crude.

And I apologize, but I do not understand what you mean by "better would be art-changed thumbnails and an other user inteface. "

If I am understanding you, my thumbnails are currently set up so that I can easily rotate the thumbnails with a monthly update. I do not have a CGI bin set up to do this yet. Is that what you are refering too?

As to the other user interface, I've only designed the page for PC users. 99% of my viewers are on windows. I am not yet ready to prepare for design for other user interfaces such as Mac, Unix, etc. Gradually, as I have more time I will address these issues, but not currently.

If I am not understanding you, please restate. Thanks!

Pit
03-23-2002, 07:00 PM
KJ,

it is not easy for me to speak in your language.

As a Designer in 2002 i find your your sites out of time, but this is my personal meaning; it is your baby, sorry, i could only say in german: 'ich wollte Dir nicht an den Karren fahren', in your language - it is a wrong translation by words, 'i would't hit your car.' - .

Sorry.

I mean with "art-changed thumbnails" the using of abstracted little signs, with a relevation on the subjects.

'user interface' is in german the possibility to go trough your sites, to navigate; the way to navigate.

Uff, i hate my bad english!!

Clearer what i ment?

So sorry to speaking to different languages,

cu Peter

kjsspot
03-23-2002, 07:13 PM
<<'i would't hit your car.>>

I understand perfectly. Thanks. ;) I enjoy learning and am an old tech head from awhile back, BUT I don't have as much time currently to keep up with the times.

<<I mean with "art-changed thumbnails" the using of abstracted little signs, with a relevation on the subjects. >>

OK. I get it. <g> But first I need to get my art labeling down before I would even attempt this. ;)

<<'user interface' is in German the possibility to go trough your sites, to navigate; the way to navigate. >>

Ah. OK. We would call that being user-friendly. Or simply say "making it easy to navigate"

<<So sorry to speaking to different languages, >>

Don't apologize for that! Knowing other languages is a commendable feat! Heck, your English is much better than my German! LoL

I'm sure my site will be changing once I get Dreamweaver. That should simplify my learning time. But first I need to get my categories straightened out for my different styles of art.

Thank you very much Peter for your comments. =)

Pit
03-23-2002, 07:24 PM
I am using Dreamweaver and Fireworks since two years as a professional - in the german version - dont`t by shy to ask.

Greetings Peter

Good luck to your sites

Pit
03-23-2002, 07:36 PM
Damn. not BY shy, be shy.

Anybody speaking german?

Spricht hier jemand deutsch?

cu peter

timelady
03-24-2002, 07:33 AM
I think it's a good first effort - you're clearly trying to have fun and learn the webstuff so it'll only get better. I think all your art falls into the category "contemporary" - I tend to associate 'modern' with a specific time period and it's not now. I think the modern period was back in the 50s? Not sure, but someone else probably knows (came before post-modern). You could then break up the work into figurative, abstract, landscape, etc. I wouldn't worry too much about abstract/expressionist etc. My work is expressionist but I also call it abstract (actually I call it near- or semi-abstract most of the time).

As for design, I think you're a bit confused. Remember that DESIGN has little to do with PLATFORM. It's mainly about browser. The important thing is to test your webpages on several browsers - open it in IE, Netscape, Opera, whatever you can get and make sure it looks okay. That's the most important thing to test for any web stuff ever, whether you're a beginner or expert. :) PC/Mac isn't really important at this stage for you. (Hey, Macs can run Windows - I have Win 98 on mine for running PC only applications.)

Looking good - I'd move the thumbnails section over slightly to the right as the buttons overlap that section sometimes in IE. Also, a tiny visual improvement would be to take out the visible borders on the tables. You might also want to cross-post this in the computer forum - you might get some additional input there. :)

Tina