PDA

View Full Version : ebay gallery pic problem

svrart
03-23-2002, 04:10 PM
Hi,

I have been selling on ebay for about 2 months now.

One of my problems is a very poor quality gallery image that ebay produces. The jpg looks good in the original size and looks quite acceptable during preview (just before you submit the sale). But when it comes up at the actual listing it looks bad. My paintings have a lot of black in them with only color outlines. Is there any thing I can do to solve this?

Thanks,
Sridhar

PS. If you want to look at the gallery images, you can do a search for svrart in Self Representing Artists. I am also attaching a thumbnail to show the amount of black in my paintings.

CarlyHardy
03-23-2002, 04:22 PM
Sridhar,
#1 you shouldn't rely completely on the ebay images to show off your artwork. Use an image hosting service and then add the link html into your description so that you will have another source for your images.

#2 you might try creating a white border around your artwork and then a thin black border to set off the darker image in the center. Just say in your description that the image is whatever size without mat or frame. If its a canvas painting, then just tell the size of the canvas.

#3 Be sure you always use a white background when you take a pic of your image if you use a digital camera. Other dark colors around a dark painting can create an even darker image.

carly

hairballsdotcom
03-23-2002, 07:08 PM
When I started out, I used the same picture for the gallery as I used for the auction page. I agree the quality is often not very good.
Now what I do is make a separate image 1.5" square, sharpen and adjust color so it looks good and save it in highest quality jpg -- when ebay uploads my thumbnail, it only reduces it slightly and converts it to a low res jpg, the quality is still quite good. Often I don't even include the WHOLE picture in the thumbnail -- instead I choose the most interesting colorful area that will look good in such a small image.
This method definately is more time and effort, but since I'm selling mostly prints, its worth it for me because I can use it over and over.

Sumafra
03-24-2002, 12:08 AM
SVRART, I looked at your auctions and didn't find your thumbnails that bad. They're not any better or worse that all the others. let's face it, they're all so small that they don't look that good. Only really bright colors look good in that section. Your fruit one actually looks quite nice because of the colors. The others could be brighter I suppose. Maybe try Hairballs's suggestion. That's quite a good idea.

svrart
03-25-2002, 10:32 AM
Hi all,

Thanks for the feedback.

I used the suggestions and created a 64x64 pixel file myself with a white border and am hosting the image from my site. The results seem better.

Sridhar

salmon
03-25-2002, 11:36 AM
svrart, I think you should make that 96 x 96 pixels for the
gallery pic. The 64 x 64 size is just used for the listing.
You may want to check this.

walden
04-17-2002, 11:46 AM
I did some searching on this topic, but didn't really find answers to these questions-- I'm sorry if they've been answered before-- please just direct me to the old thread. Thanks.

Questions:

1) When I take a digital photo, it is quite large in inches (like maybe 12 x 16 or something) at resolution of 72. Will the Ebay image uploader shrink it physically to fit on a page (as well as reducing resolution/file size for speed purposes)? I hate having to scroll an image-- I think it's much better to see the whole painting at once.

2) Does the first picture attached in the uploader become the gallery picture, the one that appears to the left in listings?

3) If you link separately to your images, does that mean you don't put anything in the Ebay images boxes? Do the images then appear in the description area only? If so, how do you get a gallery picture to appear on the listing?

svrart
04-18-2002, 08:25 AM
Hi Lisa,

I dont know the answer to Q1.

2. Yes

3. If you host your own images your don't upload any files from your machine. There is another entry for listing image.

I am still tweaking the image listing and am quite unhappy with what i get so far.

Also checked out your paintings. Like others have said, you should do well. Very interesting approach to color.

Sridhar

Originally posted by walden
I did some searching on this topic, but didn't really find answers to these questions-- I'm sorry if they've been answered before-- please just direct me to the old thread. Thanks.

Questions:

1) When I take a digital photo, it is quite large in inches (like maybe 12 x 16 or something) at resolution of 72. Will the Ebay image uploader shrink it physically to fit on a page (as well as reducing resolution/file size for speed purposes)? I hate having to scroll an image-- I think it's much better to see the whole painting at once.

2) Does the first picture attached in the uploader become the gallery picture, the one that appears to the left in listings?

3) If you link separately to your images, does that mean you don't put anything in the Ebay images boxes? Do the images then appear in the description area only? If so, how do you get a gallery picture to appear on the listing?

walden
04-18-2002, 09:02 AM
Thanks! I later found the answer to #1 on another thread-- carly said at 72 resolution a horizontal painting should be 7 inches wide, and a vertical painting should be 6 inches tall.

And, thanks for your comments on my art! People here are so supportive, and it really helps a lot. :)

CarlyHardy
04-18-2002, 10:55 AM
....and no, the ebay pic service does not resize your images in any way when you use it to upload.

If the image is too large and takes too long, it may time out and you won't be able to upload until you reduce the size of the file.

The worst part about having oversized images is the time it takes for a viewer's screen to open! I don't wait around if someone's art doesn't appear in 10 seconds or thereabouts. If you're on a cable connection...you are probably not getting the same time response to images that someone on a slower dial up connection is getting. Remember that when you upload images!
carly