PDA

View Full Version : My biggest challenge to date - portrait of my sister

rmc
09-19-2006, 11:46 PM
Now this has had me running scared - she has such defined features yet I didn't want to paint her with a lot of lines etc - aiming to keep this soft ---
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Sep-2006/83066-Janet6.jpg
Think this will sit on the shelf for a day or so while i think ...

gingery
09-20-2006, 01:49 AM
Obviously I don't know your sister, but I really like this!:thumbsup: The only thing that I can see that need a little attention is her ear. Other than that, it looks like you have another great portrait.:cool: Way to go, Ruth!:clap:
ginger :wave:

dreamz
09-20-2006, 02:05 AM
Thats a very hard angle to capture but you've pulled it off well.. very nice:thumbsup:

chammi kaiser
09-20-2006, 04:02 AM
Looking good. Agree about the ear. Love the way you have captured the 'twinkle' in her eyes. Looking forward to the end result. Chammi.

Dewi
09-20-2006, 04:23 AM
Very good Ruth ...how to paint this soft skin if I may know?

rmc
09-20-2006, 05:03 AM
Yep, Chammi and Ginger- you are right about the ear - it is totally wrong - too small and low and too far out - My sister is delighted with the face and has suggested changing her hairstyle in the painting to get around the ear problem- she normally doesn't tuck her hair behind her ears like this anyway - so will repaint the hairline / hide ear tonight.
Dewi - thanks - this is my big challenge and I have used watercolour paper for learning portraits and done them all with very watery layers - building up gradually and blending all the edges to keep them soft

rmc
09-20-2006, 06:24 AM
I have given her back her upper earlobe, and altered the cheek contour so highlight over smaller area has sorted out the distance issue - Can anyone see anything else which looks wrong?
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Sep-2006/83066-Janet6.jpg
I am really pleased actually because I have caught her personality as much as her likeness, she really does have a twinkle in her eye and is full of life.

Bertoni
09-20-2006, 07:53 AM
You've really captured a personality here! There are just enough lines in it. The ear looks better now!
Nice work!:clap: :clap: :clap:

snoball
09-20-2006, 08:19 AM
Without seeing the reference I'm betting that it looks just like her. You have captured so much personality here. Just lovely.

TxAggieDarlin
09-20-2006, 11:20 AM
It sure looks good to me. Great job

valchina612
09-20-2006, 11:55 AM
I really love this Ruth, and I feel that you have captured her perfectly, even though I haven't seen the Ref. You are SO GOOD with your Portraits. :clap: :clap: :thumbsup:

Val. :wave:

rmc
09-20-2006, 03:39 PM
Thanks Bertoni, Margaret, Aggie, and Val, The original is too big for posting - but if I get time later on will try and resize it to post.
There was another attempt before this - I found her so hard to paint because I was nervous and had already fixed ideas of her eyes, etc and kept going too hard on her facial features and overdid my first attempt- so for the first time I had to chuck a painting in the rubbish!!!

LisaArt
09-20-2006, 03:45 PM
Hi Ruth...its fantastic...I dont know your sister, but you really captured a personality and essence here...the eyes have it...so much warmth and character..Wish I could paint portraits like you...Bravo! your sister will love it and be so touched!

3chaway9
09-20-2006, 03:49 PM
Nice painting Ruth....lovely skin...:thumbsup: :clap: :clap:

rmc
09-20-2006, 04:46 PM
Thanks Lisa and Carrie - Doc, I missed you at the begining, thanks too. The eyes are key for getting as much detail as possible I find, but I found Janet's eyes hard 'cos all my life I've thought she has big eyes and these were so small - due to her eyelash shadow and smiling - but took a while to work that out.

Charlie's Mum
09-20-2006, 05:00 PM
Y'know Ruth, it's extremely difficult (with lots of knowledge of a subject) to paint what you see and not what you know ......... years ago, we had that drummed into us in lessons!

I agree with all the comments above and won't repeat them ...........
BUT...
I think you are rapidly becoming our resident portraitist here! :D :D

Nice :thumbsup:

KatieB
09-20-2006, 05:54 PM
I think it's lovely :D.

Silveni
09-20-2006, 09:14 PM
Listen Ruth, would you stop being so bloody good with portraits? You are really putting me off even trying!!:D

Another wonderful production Ruth. You are just becoming more and more courageous with them. Fancy, risking doing one of your sister!! You have pulled it off for sure, even without seeing your sister, her portrait looks so real, so alive and warm. My hands are getting tired with all this clapping:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

rmc
09-20-2006, 11:55 PM
Dahlis - oh stop! jess! I am only learning - you are too kind ! - the main thing was my sister couldn't believe it - it's totally her. I was so nervous when she walked in -
Maureen - you are so right
Katie- thanks
(I feel like I should 'fess up that I have spent years studying and working on anatomy as a surgeon, so I am painting contours rather then shapes and colours - maybe all those years of specializing have a new use, also I try to feel which muscles are contributing to the expression I see - what ever - next challenge is my husband, now that is a really huge one)

idcrisis55
09-21-2006, 02:21 AM
Another very expressive painting Ruth. Can't wait to see the one of your husband :D

Ann

rmc
09-21-2006, 04:05 PM
Thanks Ann, challenge is getting a photo we both like. lol. not to mention producing a flattering painting - girls are so less fussy!!!!

rmc
09-23-2006, 08:30 AM
Well - eat my hat, etc, - have had a hard look at my sister's painting along with the good folks at portraiture who gave it to me straight once I finally resized and posted my sister's photo and she has needed rather a lot of modifying - lets just say I had mainly captured her spirit :lol: :lol: :lol:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Sep-2006/83066-janet7.jpg
and her photo
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Sep-2006/83066-Janet9.jpg
So here is the fun part - spot the differences:lol: :lol: :lol:

Charlie's Mum
09-23-2006, 08:39 AM
Well Ruth, if those portraitists gave you a crit, then they're the experts!
Whatever they said will be good advice I should think ........ what was it? - tone work?.... proportion? ........ placement of features? Do tell ;) :D

rmc
09-23-2006, 09:35 AM
The portraitists sure do fantastic work - something to aspire to one day and I think they were very charitable with my humble efforts - but maybe overwhelmed with options that could be improved!!!! Hairline, ear, chin, eyebrows and mouth were mentioned, but once I started to look at it all a bit more critically I saw she had a nasty deformed nose and mandible, wonky eyes and lets not even start on tone , values or even colour matching -:lol: :lol: :lol: which they haven't mentioned ...yet....It's all a bit of fun.