PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Trees

SuzySue
09-19-2006, 10:44 PM
I've been looking from some "how to threads" on trees, but can not find any. :confused:

I'm working on a sunrise with silhouetted trees. But mine look like they are done by a little child. I took some photos tonight but they did not turn out. I'll try tomorrow so you can see the little kid trees.

Any advice? What is the best type of brush for fine tree detail?

dragonshade
09-20-2006, 09:24 AM
If you are doing a a silhouette of trees only you really shouldn't be doing much detail at all. Just "pounces and pats" of a single dark color. I used a hog bristle brush for the leafy trees, and a script liner for the dead ones on this.....
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Sep-2006/70376-NF_close.jpg
....I know it's far from a sunrise, but they are silhouetted.

...and a closer view
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Sep-2006/70376-4_sue.jpg

SuzySue
09-20-2006, 11:01 AM
Dragonshade - Those trees are beautiful, thank you very much, that sounds just like what I need to do. I was putting in too much detail with a too large of brush. I'm going to go find a script liner at lunch today.

dragonshade
09-20-2006, 12:57 PM
Suzy.... If you can, get a sable or sable blend #3 or #4. This will do you much better than a synthetic. Also remember to thin the paint with water (extrememly) to the point it's like ink, and load the liner well. Of course that is for the "dead" trees. The others are done with a natural bristle. Together the two work well.

dreamz
09-20-2006, 08:14 PM
I thought I replied here earlier... musta gotten lost in the ethervoid:lol:

Theres as many ways to paint trees as there are artists, I use a variaty of brushes and sponges depending on the size of the canvas, the size and type of tree/foliage . A liner brush makes great distance pines as does a chisel edge, a stiff 1" house brush or natural sponge does foliage, a chisle or comb brush makes nice palm leaves.

if by childish you mean lollipop trees, try breaking up the outline and allow space in the middle for the sky to peek through in areas, the same thing holds true for distant and foreground pines, break up the outline and dont go with a saw tooth type skyline, vary the heights etc.

When doing branches use a very watery paint and a loose grip on the brush and kind of let the brush dance over the surface, lifting near the end to thin the branch ( I have actually dropped the brush I hold it so loose)

This might make a great topic for an interactive type of class....

dlake
09-20-2006, 08:37 PM
dragon, I love your trees.
if you get a script brush or a thinner filbert that helps. I think if the background is dark, you could scratch it out. Another idea is to ask less lull who does those marvelous trees

SuzySue
09-20-2006, 09:01 PM
dragonshade - the script liner is fun and it let me make branches that bend. I still have a lot to learn.

dreamz - I would love an interactive class on trees. I need a lot of help. My trees started out looking like stick figure tree - all thick and straight.

This is about all I'm going to do on this one, going to take what I have learned and move on to the next.

Thanks all for the help.:clap: :clap:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Sep-2006/18039-sunrise2.jpg

dlake
09-20-2006, 10:38 PM
You are doing very good.!

dreamz
09-21-2006, 02:35 AM
It looks like a forest fire! to cool:thumbsup: you've done a good job on the trees, hope to see more, the only way we improve is by doing

studemobile
09-21-2006, 02:37 PM
Search WC for 2 articles by Pierre Labeau:
"Anatomy of a Tree" and "Working with Trees"
(Quik Tip #14 & 15)
Goodstuff!!!