PDA

View Full Version : Fun in the sun

garyphotopaul
09-19-2006, 08:08 PM
This is from a photo I took on holidays last summer. Acrylic on canvas, 20 x 24". I need to learn how to layer better as impatience does tend to just create....mud!

The street scene has lots of perspective problems but first time I had tried something like that so lots of learning.
Appreciate any thoughts. I said in my other posting I am very new to painting so comments or critics welcome.

g.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Sep-2006/89748-Maui_back_of_Sheraton.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Sep-2006/89748-Street_scene.jpg

Margaret 59
09-19-2006, 08:50 PM
A hairdryer is good for speeding up drying time.
Looks as though you're doing fine. I like the street scene a lot and would have thought that would be hard going.

Lady Carol
09-19-2006, 10:31 PM
Nice work. Patience is a must for not creating mud. BTW, I don't see any mud here.

valchina612
09-20-2006, 10:54 AM
I really like both of these paintings very much. The sand in the first one is so real that I feel I could wiggle my toes in it, and the Street Scene is great. Well done with both paintings. :clap: :clap: :thumbsup:

Val. :wave:

TxAggieDarlin
09-20-2006, 11:19 AM
These are both very nice and I would not even tackle that street scene and you did it beautifully. I love the beach scene but I love the water. My ONLY comment on this one is the beach itself in the foreground and you need someone with more knowledge than I have. But it seems like the beach is going downhill. I think it should be going horizontal and to the left/right. It is such a beautiful scene and I want to try something like this....:thumbsup:

Jon
09-20-2006, 11:40 AM
Nice feel to both!
I agree about the sand going downhill on the first...perhaps if you changed the direction of the darker strokes to upper left moving downward to the lower right.

garyphotopaul
09-20-2006, 02:39 PM
thanks everyone. It took a while for me to figure out what felt "out of place" with the sand and you (Jon and txaggiedarlin) are absolutely right about the brush strokes. Next time!

rmc
09-20-2006, 03:18 PM
You've put loads of work into both and have ended up with great paintings - :clap: agree with sand - this was my first impression, but you have rended the beach really well otherwise - don't be shy about changing things with acrylics - it is easy to redo, as we have all found.:lol:
The street scene shows lots of careful planning and it's well done with an inviting feel to wander on down into the painting:clap:

KatieB
09-20-2006, 06:34 PM
The street scene is wonderful!

dreamz
09-20-2006, 07:40 PM
both are nicely done and since the sand issue has already been addressed... there is a bit of a visual thing on the street scene where the lower left hand wall seems to be leaning but you definately have a lot of talent for a beginner:thumbsup:

dlake
09-20-2006, 10:39 PM
I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOve the street scene. Your water one is really yummy but, the street scene is great!

idcrisis55
09-21-2006, 02:37 AM
I enjoyed both your paintings. I like the water and hillside especially in the first painting. Your street scene is one I enjoyed the most and know it must have been a challenge. You did a good job on it and I like how you have some of the shutters partially open.

Ann

garyphotopaul
09-21-2006, 12:30 PM
Wow you are all so encouraging. Dreamz, as this was my first effort at a more detailed piece I was so worried about doing everything free hand with no guides other than my eye to delivery straight lines etc. I really notice the lean on the buildings now that I finished that piece but took from that experiece that I could use tape to give me a straight edge when I needed it. Somehow it felt like cheating but realize now to get a horizon level across a 48" canvas is not easy and better to get it level than produce what I did in the street scene with leaning walls.
Thanks for the kind words dlake and Ann.