PDA

View Full Version : Two more......

JamieWG
09-19-2006, 01:45 PM
'Just finished these two. Both are gouache on Fabriano Artistico 100% rag hot press.

5x7", Fall Overlooking Constitution Marsh and Storm King Mountain (from a photo I took last fall)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Sep-2006/13766-091806_Gouache_Fall_st_basil_storm_king_wip2_400adj.jpg

7x5", Peach Lake Sunset (from a photo I took out by the lake one evening)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Sep-2006/13766-091906_PL_Sunset_5x7_gouache_400_adj.jpg

I'm just lovin' this stuff to pieces. :D

Is anybody else using gouache in a stay wet palette? I'm just trying that today to see if my paint will stay fresh. I removed the sponge, used that waxy palette paper like you use for oil paints, and gave what was left on the palette a spray before closing it up with a small wet sponge in the center. I'll let y'all know how it works out.

Jamie

Mark_xiii
09-19-2006, 03:57 PM
Nice work Jamie, landscapes are fun with gouache, huh?

I find the sponge trick works well for a few hours, maybe even overnight, especially if you've mixed up a fairly fluid wash. Some colours dry out much faster than others and may need re-wetting...

However, I've grown to appreciate (rely, almost) on my palette colours drying out, I use them just like watercolour blocks. Great for detail and small washes.

Weezy
09-20-2006, 10:39 AM
I like the way you get the feeling of going back a distance in the top piece. It lays down and back very well.

I like the colors in the second piece, but am getting a not-as-distinct reading of the placement of the mid ground in the water. For me, I'd like more variation in brush stroke size in the water. But I think the small size of these makes that more difficult, don't you? Is gouache something you can revisit? Does it remain re-workable? I have never worked in it, and so my questions may seem rudimentary. Sorry.

idcrisis55
09-20-2006, 04:31 PM
Both of these are very nice work. I like the warm palette of the first painting but the palette in the second really captures my attention.

Ann

Richard Saylor
09-21-2006, 12:07 AM
Jamie, I'm not normally a fan of little paintings, but your small gouache landscapes are perfectly delightful.

Richard

pinkrybns
09-21-2006, 09:34 AM
Hey Jamie :wave:
Look great to me... small can be big. :D I prefer the first one as the distance is so well defined. Love the colors you use in all your pieces.

JamieWG
09-26-2006, 04:55 AM
Mark, Weezy, Ann, Richard, and Judy, thank you all so very much for your comments.

Mark, I agree that it's not a total loss if the paint dries, but I can't get a nice creamy consistency back when that happens. I've been doing oils and watercolors since these were completed, so haven't yet looked inside that palette box to see what happened to the paint! lol....I might be in for some nasty surprises. LOL

Richard, for some reason, I don't enjoy gouache for larger paintings. I prefer to just use oils once I get beyond 8x10. I'm not sure why that is. I was in a show a couple of weeks ago and one of my favorite paintings there was gouache, done on a full sheet of watercolor paper. It was stunning, and holds the color so well. I'll have to try a big one, one of these days.

Jamie

Mark_xiii
09-26-2006, 05:22 AM
I agree that it's not a total loss if the paint dries, but I can't get a nice creamy consistency back when that happens.

Yup, that's the problem... Keeping them creamy for any length of time is virtually impossible (at least I haven't found a way). Thats the trade we make for using such a fast drying media.

I prefer to just use oils once I get beyond 8x10. I'm not sure why that is.

I'm the same. For me, it's all about protecting / hanging a large format gouache painting being such a nightmare. I'm delaying the start of a new painting for this very reason - I'm hooked on using gouache for this one, but how on earth do I frame & glaze something 6ftx4ft?!

I'm exploring different supports and waiting patiently for my new Gouache Varnish to arrive... fingers crossed, I might have a solution.

JamieWG
09-26-2006, 05:26 AM
I'm the same. For me, it's all about protecting / hanging a large format gouache painting being such a nightmare. I'm delaying the start of a new painting for this very reason - I'm hooked on using gouache for this one, but how on earth do I frame & glaze something 6ftx4ft?!

I'm exploring different supports and waiting patiently for my new Gouache Varnish to arrive... fingers crossed, I might have a solution.

6x4 FEET in gouache? Good luck with that! :D Please do post your work in progress if you do it. I'd love to see it emerge step by step!

Jamie

Mark_xiii
09-26-2006, 05:38 AM
6'x4' in ANY medium is a challenge, but planning breeds success. (I'll gladly take some luck though, I'm going to need a fair amount of that too.)

I'll think about posting a WIP... There's enough pressure is on this one already!

JanB
09-29-2006, 09:06 AM
You are really making the most of gouache Jamie!! Love the distance in #1 and the color in #2.

JamieWG
09-30-2006, 03:12 PM
Is anybody else using gouache in a stay wet palette? I'm just trying that today to see if my paint will stay fresh. I removed the sponge, used that waxy palette paper like you use for oil paints, and gave what was left on the palette a spray before closing it up with a small wet sponge in the center. I'll let y'all know how it works out.

Jamie

The results are my experiment are: DON'T DO THIS!!! Ugh. I just opened up the palette. My nice sea sponge is all mildewy-smelling, and the palette paper curled up. Grrrrr.....

I'm going to toss that, wash out the palette, cover the bottom with Glad Press 'n Seal, put on paint, and see how that version holds out. 'Will keep y'all posted.

Jan, thank you for your comment!

jamie

pinkrybns
09-30-2006, 04:53 PM
The results are my experiment are: DON'T DO THIS!!! Ugh. I just opened up the palette. My nice sea sponge is all mildewy-smelling, and the palette paper curled up. Grrrrr.....

I'm going to toss that, wash out the palette, cover the bottom with Glad Press 'n Seal, put on paint, and see how that version holds out. 'Will keep y'all posted.

Jan, thank you for your comment!

jamieAhh! you used a natural sea-sponge - never a good thing to leave wet in a closed container for very long without rinsing/wringing it out thoroughly and wetting it again, then replacing under cover :(
I do know of what I speak (professional potter for 23 years). Natural sea sponges always will mildew when left for more than a few days in something enclosed....cuz, they're natural.

However, you can buy the synthetic kind and they don't mildew, or use synthetic make-up sponges can find those at any make-up counter or drug store...but make sure the material is synthetic.

Also, don't try to use a regular household sponge - those will also mildew in time.

Here's a link to the type of throwing sponge that won't mildew.
http://www.theceramicshop.com/cgi-bin/cp-app.cgi?usr=4068048&rnd=2798457&pg=store&sub_pg=prod&ref=65

JamieWG
09-30-2006, 07:49 PM
Judy, thank you for the advice and the link. I think I'm just going to spray it with water and close it up when I'm done for the night. If that doesn't work, I'll try the different kind of sponge! I'll let you know what happens....

Jamie

Weezy
10-01-2006, 11:31 PM
Those little synthetic makeup triangle sponges might work.......:wink2: