PDA

View Full Version : Horse Cents!!!

paintfool
03-23-2002, 12:49 PM
I'm just so excited and wanted to share the news! Our 'Horse Fever' horses were auctioned off last night at a really really nice event! The colorful horses that have adorned the streets of Ocala for the last 6 months have raised a total of $846,500.00! (we beat Lexington Ky, and had fewer horses! :D) Mine sold for $8,200.00. Most went for between 5,000.00 and 15,000.00 but a couple even fetched 80,000.00!!! I was very pleased with the results. Half of the money will go back to the Marion Cultural alliance for endowments and future public art projects and the other half goes to local charities of the buyers choices. It's been a really fun project to be involved in and even though we miss seeing these guys on the streets, any time that almost half a million dollars are donated to charities is a VERY good thing! :D Not too great of a picture because it was pretty dark but here's my guy on the auction block.
Cheryl
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Mar-2002/seattledosale.jpg

Nancy Lee
03-23-2002, 12:55 PM
:clap:

Yippee...:clap: :) :clap: .... Congratulation's. I remember when you first posted the information on this project, and thought at the time... wow, that looks like fun. Obviously it was.

Too bad this is taken from such a distance... got any more photo's closer????

Again congratulation's........ I bet the whole experience was a ball.

BCNU,
Nancy

paintfool
03-23-2002, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Nancy Lee
Too bad this is taken from such a distance... got any more photo's closer????
Hee hee, that's like asking my mom if she has any pictures of her grandchildren :D :D
Thanks for the congrats and yes it was a blast! Seeing my horse as i drove by him everyday was wonderful enough but to know that he's going to be giving to the community in the way of charity is even better. Here's one side of him.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Mar-2002/seattledo7.jpg

paintfool
03-23-2002, 01:18 PM
After that photo was taken he was delivered to Emergency One (Manufactures of fire trucks) they clear coated all 52 of the horses as thier very generous contribution to this cause! :)

Nancy Lee
03-23-2002, 01:24 PM
Oh Thanks Paintfool....... also should have asked... how much does it weigh... alot I know..... what kind of paint did you use? Where is his (her) home going to be... inside or out... locally or afar? I'm sure you've answered all these question before, but refresh my memory.........;)

BCNU,
Nancy

paintfool
03-23-2002, 01:31 PM
Actually, since he's made of fiberglass, he's not really all that heavy. He's about 140 lbs. My husband and i had no problems moving him. He's painted with Acrylic paints. I had no experience with them before this so it was quite the learning experience! I got him home and just sat and looked at him and thought 'Now what?" :D At this time i do not know who purchased him so i don't know where he'll stand! I'm sure i'll find out soon though. There were so many people there that it was hard to keep track of who bought what. I'm anxious to know.

Nancy Lee
03-23-2002, 04:00 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap:

I forgot to mention, last but not least....... what a great job you did on this. and to think that acrylic was new to you. Awesome.

BCNU,
Nancy

lori
03-25-2002, 11:09 PM
CONGRATULATIONS CHERYL!

wonderful horse! i remember seeing it before, but not such a good photo of it, i love the fish!

way to go!

lorita chiquita says...thee horsie is cute!

Rose Queen
03-25-2002, 11:30 PM
What a nice coda to this story, Cheryl; thanks for letting us know what happened!

100% free webcam site! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=0) | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=2) | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3 (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=4)

100% free webcam site! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=0) | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=2) | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3 (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=4)

chris 97
03-26-2002, 12:09 AM
paintfool, would you believe my sister saw the horses on display around ocala and took pictures of most of them so i could see too (i live in tn). yours was one she missed getting a pic of, she said there were more but she didn't find them all. i am so glad to see yours. i am partial to aquatic subjects too, besides the horses (our family use to show hunters and jumpers and my dad had race horses.....so we do love the horses!)
i had wondered what you used to paint them, thanks for all the answers.
how were the artists chosen to paint the horses?
THANKS FOR SHARING!!:clap: :)

paintfool
03-26-2002, 12:25 AM
Awww, thanks Lori and Rose. :) I sure appreciate you looking! That's neat to know chris! I'll be telling the project chairman how much Tn liked our display. She'll smile about that. I love aquatic themes myself but in Fla they can be a bit cliche so i thought i'd keep him bright and colorful and almost tole like so that the children would enjoy him. They did too! I drove past him more than once to see a child hugging him. It made me grin each time! :D The artists were selected by a jury after reviewing our specs for the project and slides of our previous works and then we had to go through a sponsor/artist match. There were a total of 60 designs selected by the jury, of which only 51 would be chosen by the sponsors. Although i felt bad for the people who made it through the jury slection, only to be not picked by a sponsor i was thrilled to be a part of this project. Bringing art to the streets where people who may not have the opportunity to visit museums could appreciate it was a worthy enough cause but raising as much as we did for our local charities was very exciting! We came within 150K of a million dollars! For a small community such as ours that's BIG! It's been an experience that will stay with me. I had a lot of support from my WC friends through it all and i can't tell you guys how much that has meant to me. Thank you.
Cheryl

CarlyHardy
03-26-2002, 10:38 AM
Cheryl! What a wonderful ending for your "horse saga"!! I'm happy that so much money was raised and all that great artwork will find homes! Hope you find where your "baby" eventually stands so you can take a photo for the "last chapter". I wish I could participate in an event like this...we've not done anything in the Atlanta area yet!
carly

llis
03-26-2002, 08:24 PM
Congratulations Cheryl!

I couldn't be more proud.

paintfool
03-27-2002, 12:00 PM
Thank you Carly and Llis. :) If you'll remember, i had just found out about this project a day or so before we were at Debs house in Amelia Island. I told you guys of it and you said "go for it!" Well, i did. :) Thanks for your encouragment.
Cheryl
PS. i just found out that my horse is being transported to his new home in Seymour Indiana.... Guess i'll never see him again. Oh well, he'll probably look pretty neat standing in the snow! ;)

paintfool
04-04-2002, 11:08 PM
Update. While i still don't know the name of the buyer of my horse i do know that he is at his new home in Seymore Indiana. Looks like i'll not be seeing him again. Of the 52 horses only 7 left the area. Fugures mine would be one of them! Oh well! :) I do get a smile thinking about my tropical reef type of creation standing in next years snow! Maybe it'll bring a warm thought to someone.
Cheryl

kellysue
04-06-2002, 06:35 AM
Hey!

(did your mom ever tell you "Hey is for horses, not people!)

I have relatives near Seymour, Indiana. Do you think that between us we can find your horse's new location and get a snapshot? I can ask my folks if they have heard of any sculpture purchase, horse of course, in the area. Maybe they know the business or individual who won your horse in the auction. Do your think the auction house might give you a little more info? It might just be worth a try.

It's a small world after all,

Kellysue in Indiana

kansas artist
04-06-2002, 10:55 AM
Beautiful horse, wonderful project! Here in the Kansas City area, cows were decorated and placed around the city. They were auctioned off earlier this year. It is so much fun to see how very different each sculpture turns out. Congrats Cheryl. -Lisa

paintfool
04-06-2002, 12:46 PM
Thanks kansas artist. It was such a fun project! I've been looking at the websites for the various animals on parade. I'll have to try to find the KC ones. Kellysue, i expect to hear the name of the new owners soon! Who ever they are, i know that they bought 2 of them so they shouldn't be too difficult to spot!
Cheryl