PDA

View Full Version : Beads and Bracelet - "Fall is A-Comin"

eclectic artist
09-18-2006, 02:42 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/09-18-2006/51814_50937-AutumnBeads1edit.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/09-18-2006/51814_50937-AutumnBraceletLindaEdit.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Beads and Bracelet - "Fall is A-Comin"
Year Created: 2006
Dimension: Final piece 8
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
My husband, Texas Leprechan, is the glass artist and I have finally made the first piece of jewelry from some of his work (which I find very beautiful, and I am biased). It makes me think of the start of fall as the colors change.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
This is my first piece of jewelry and is a gift for a dear friend. I would love any input, positive to constructive criticism, emphasis on constructive. Let me know what works and what might have been better choices. I selected the beads from his many works, as the caps and spacers were purchased. I did use stretch clear cording for easy on and off. The first picture is the selection of frit beads I chose, then I selected some transparent amber for accent. Thanks for taking the time to comment. I'm a little leary of my ability to make attractive pieces and feel the feedback will improve any future projects.

richsantaclaus
09-19-2006, 12:59 AM
Wow I am impressed, not only do you make beautiful jewerly, you know how to spell eclectic!!!!! Your choice of color for the spacers goes perfectly with the colors of beads you have there. Just the right blend too!

Rich

KetchikanSculptor
09-19-2006, 01:50 AM
Very nice work. Though I don't know exactly how you ended your knot for the stretch cord.... I am sure it is good too. The colors and combination of beads are very sweet. If you are concerned about photos and all the other details (which I don't remember reading) you can try a combination of lights from 3 or 4 different points. I use the GE Reveal bulbs in the fixtures I have for photographing. If you are going to sell pieces in person that isn't an issue. BUT if you are going to sell on line it is a must to do quality shots. We all know pictures do not do pieces justice. Folks just want to see them look fabu. And to me, your work looks wonderful for first time out! I can see a great future for your work. Read all you can about gallery pieces and play, play, play and make things. It never hurts to experiment. What is the worst that can happen? You don't like it and take it apart? No Biggie! You learned something and that is always cool!

eclectic artist
09-19-2006, 04:46 AM
Thank you Rich for the feedback and, of course, flattery will get you just about anywhere:wink2: ...lol. I've seen some of your amazing work and your opinion means alot.

Ketchikan, thank you as well. You always have great advice and fab compliments:heart: . As far as construction, I tied a surgeon's knot. Then I tugged and pulled, yanked and twisted. It seemed to hold well. Is that the correct knot? I have an old magazine, Stringing 101 and they showed the surgeon's knot on a slip over the head necklace and thought it might work for the bracelet. And we are having trouble locating our camera software after we upgraded our computer. I think I'm going to have to order another copy. ...sigh.... They want $25 :eek: for it, which could buy more glass for hubby, or now with my confidence boosted, beading supplies...lol.The pics are from our scanner, not the best I know. I don't know if I'm ready to sell any pieces, but I love to give neat jewelry to friends and this piece is earmarked for a gift. Love the info on the Reveal lightbulbs. I have slowly been changing all of our lightbulbs to the Reveal brand just because everything tends to look more "colorful?" or "lively?". I know I should use the fluorescent, but they are so harsh. Thanks for encouraging me to play and I will go and read up in the gallery.

Again thank ya'll for all of the great advice and flattering comments. I think I'll go pick through the mounds of beads my "leprechan" has made and work on another project.

Wishing you continued creativity through your torches and art....Eclectic Artist (aka Christy)

dillingham
09-19-2006, 08:49 AM
Hey Christy, beautiful bracelet, of course I am a sucker for fall colors :thumbsup:

The scale and balance of your shapes and sizes is great. One does not overshadow the other, but compliments them. Not that they have to, but I always enjoy a good blend of color that plays off each other, which yours accomplishes. In the jewelry world I don't think there is a rule about what combinations you can use, just which ones appeal to you or the buyer. I personally have to make things that make me proud to say I made them, that is my general rule of thumb.

My one suggestions would be, that if you intend to somewhere down the road sell your jewelry I would work on learning how to use toggles and clasps to finish off your peice. The stretchy is great, but most people look at it as a inexpensive peice. With your hubbys beautiful beads, I know that the quality is there and that is not the case.

As in making beads practice, practice and a whole lot of play is involved in jewelry making. You are doing great keep at it!

Dilly

jms
09-19-2006, 09:29 AM
Hi Christy,

This is a great first piece of jewelry! I don't think I would be brave enough to show my first piece...but it wasn't nearly as nice as this either!

I don't sell much jewelry...just make as many beads as I have time for...but I agree with Dilly that toggles & clasps really make pieces look more expensive & finished. If you're planning to sell, that seems the way to go. If you need sources for ordering clasps at good prices, there are tons of mail-order places. I use Firemountaingems.com...they have a ton of stuff! And you can get a catalog by mail if you just sign up online. I've ordered a lot from them & have been really happy.

I do make stretchies for myself & friends sometimes and after you do the knot you might put a dab of clear nail polish over it to make it a bit more secure. It seems to help a lot.

I love the color combination of these beads....definitely a great fall set. I'd wear this in a heartbeat.

My only suggestion is this....with the bead caps on the swirly beads, the others somehow seem to look a bit plain. I don't think I'd add more bead caps or more silver, but perhaps add other small beads in with the one-color beads....perhaps a darker bead....or hmmmm...another colored bead in the same family....or maybe small beads in similar colors, but different shapes.....

I think you did really well with these beads....jewelry is such fun...and the fact that your husband made these beads makes it even better.

Happy beading!!!! janie

KD-W
01-13-2007, 12:13 PM
I want to drop in a comment here about bracelet elastic. I use fine rare beads, and often my own too to make bracelets with elastic and they sell well and for a decent price. It is all about the thickness of the Stretch Magic. If you string a bracelet on the average sizes of thread available, the piece may not be very strong, and many people come into my gallery wearing bracelets with crystals etc, and of course it is only possible to make such a piece with fairly fine elastic. Making bracelets with any of the Softflex types of thread is ultimately a disaster waiting to happen, because bracelets worn often take a good deal of punishment, and eventually the thread will break, probably at the crimp. I make mine with 1.5 Stretch Magic. I have to stretch it until my fingers are dented at the threading end to make it thinner to pass through some of the beads I use. When the bracelets are completed, they are amazingly strong. I have made and sold hundreds and have only had one back for repair in three years (who knows what happened there!) I wear mine day and night, swim in them in the sea and pools, wear them in hot tubs etc... almost never take them off. You can trust it and use it for your most special beads. Besides which, bracelets made this way slip on and off... no fiddling with a clasp. Useful for some people.
The thread is not easy to find at this thickness, I have so far not seen it in a catalog, but one of my suppliers gets it for me and will only sell me 25 rolls at a time! I have sold and given out what I don't need, so I don't have any spare right now, but if you email me, I can tell you how to find it, and maybe you can get together with friends to obtain some...

torchtot
01-16-2007, 04:13 PM
Kate,
That sure is helpful information! I have around 250 beads ready to make some jewelry with and I will check to see if I can find that 1.5 Stretch Magic in the stores. I would have never thought to stretch it out like that when threading the end. Thank you for sharing this!

I love the "Fall is a comin" jewelry and hope to make jewelry as beautiful as this!

dogmaw
01-19-2007, 10:20 AM
Something you can do if you don't want to use toggles is to use a length of chain and a lobster clasp. That way your bracelet is adjustable. I really like that because I have a tendancy to "swell up" durring the day. What is loose in the morning is tight at night. If it has a chain and clasp I can just let it out a link or two to make it fit.