PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Scumble Sept 18 Thru 24

K Taylor-Green
09-18-2006, 11:03 AM
Morning everyone! Welcome to this week's Scumble, our weekly chat thread where we share the events in our daily lives.

The Backyard's thread is getting a lot of activity! It's a fun thread to take part in. I'm going out to take photos from mine, this afternoon. There are already some beautiful shots.

watergirl
09-18-2006, 01:27 PM
I know it is supposed to be the last few days of summer but we have had a dark and windy night and it is feeling like fall. We had an incredible summer, very dry, so hope we will have some nice fall colors but it is never the same as the east coast, sigh...love the pics everyone is working on with the fall scenes. Starting a class with PeggyB this Wednesday so very excited about that!

PeggyB
09-18-2006, 02:27 PM
Hey Molly! I too am looking forward to seeing you Wed! I have so many new things to share with a class. As many of you know, I sent the last 10 days in Oklahoma visiting my daughter and sister, Candy. Candy & I along with another professional pastel artist friend went to the Prix d West exhibit at the Cowboy Hall of Fame. The only pastels there were two of Harley Brown's beautiful portraits. However, we also saw some fantastic oils. All three of us preferred those that weren't photorealistic, but all of them were beautifully painted. This lead to an interesting conversation at lunch about color theory! Candy had the great good fortune to have had a college art instructor (back in the early 70's) who understood the topic in both traditional and Munsell methods, and the ability to help his students understand them too. I wish I'd had a tape recorder to share with others on how well Candy can explain it now! It would take way too much writing for me to really be able to share it here, but you'd better bet my students will reap the benefit of my time with Candy. I did take my Donna Aldridge dvd's on color theory to share with Candy, and she pronounced them to be the best, most complete in one place presentation of color theory she's ever see. She said they should be in every serious artist's library! (this is not a paid endorsement! :lol: )

I'll have to see if I can find some photos to scan of my yard in another season. As Molly said, we are experiencing fall in the NorhtWET - which means pretty much overcast and rain for the next 10 months.

Oh! I almost forgot. While waiting for my 7:15 am departure for OK, they announced the flight was overbooked and anyone flying to OK (I was routed through Salt Lake) willing to take a later flight should go to the checkin counter. I figured I'd see what they were offering beyond the next flight out (at 8:15). Well I ended up flying to Oklahoma City through Atlanta! - arrived only 4 hours later than originally scheduled - and got a $400 voucher good for one year! I figured I was "paid" $100 an hour so that 5 hour trip to Atlanta wasn't so bad as long as I thought of it in that way...:) Now I just need to think of where I want to fly in the US that will best utilize that $400, and when I can arrange to go between class assignments! I won't use it to go to Albuquerque next year because I'll be driving there.

Peggy

Tressa
09-18-2006, 08:17 PM
Welcome back Peggy!!!

CM Neidhofer
09-19-2006, 05:17 AM
As I mentioned last week, I went to the annual meeting of the Pastel Society of Colorado this weekend. I worked until 11 p.m. Friday night, then packed up clothes and art supplies, and didn't get to sleep until after 1 a.m. Up at 6 a.m. for showers and then hit the road. We met in Avon at the library for the business meeting, which took about 2 1/2 hours. I kept nodding off during the meeting. We broke for a half hour lunch, then reconvened for a demo until 2:30 p.m. Had a very hard time keeping my eyes open through that even! In the meantimen, it rained, changed to snow and was very cold and windy. So the afternoon paint out turned into a paint in. But I bowed out, needing a nap badly. We voted to meet for dinner at an Italian restuarant called The Underground. So Bruce and I headed off to check into our motel in Glenwood Springs. By the time we got there and checked in, it was 4 p.m. I got an hour's nap before it was time to head back out for dinner. One sausage cannoli with spaghetti and sauce, and two glasses of Chianti later, I was down for the count!! :p
A Sunday morning paintout was scheduled from 9a.m. to noon. But the location was changed during dinner. But the paper that was handed out with directions, was for the original spot. So we went to the orginal place and waited for everyone else. Of course, no one was there. We waited until 10 a.m., then went to find the other location. Couldn't find anyone from the group at that location either. We drove between two parking lots....no painters. By then it was 11 a.m. and we gave up. As we were leaving and got back onto the highway, we spotted a third parking lot. There were signs back at the other lots, but they were just directions back to I70. Had no idea there was another parking lot. Soooo...needless to say, it was too late to try to set up and produce a painting by then. :( From there, we headed south to look for an old mill, the Crystal Mill, that's I've seen pics and calendar pages of. I've looked it up online and found that it could be reached with a four wheel drive vehicle. So we went to look for the mill. When we got to the location, there was a sign pointing in both directions. To the right it said very narrow road. To the left, a road to LeadKing Basin. We went left.,..a VERY four wheel drive vehicle trip!!! We never did reach the top. We turned around and came back. When we reached the area with the sign, we looked again. There was another road that we never saw. It dropped sharply and to the left. That's another day's trip there. Enough bouncing around on the rocks in a Jeep Grand Cherokee!! Highlight of the weekend was meeting Terry Ludwig and buying two sets of his pastels!! I got the 30 piece dark set and the 30 piece landscape, of course, none of which I've had a chance to try yet. We came back over Independence Pass, where it was 30 degrees and snowing yet again. Kind of a non evental event, but fun anyway. :thumbsup:

Christine

Deborah Secor
09-21-2006, 12:07 AM
Wow, Christy--are you glad you went anyway? LOL What a weekend! Next time you go you'll be prepared and able to join the group, I bet.

I just struggled through my almost-first ever portrait. Man--that's humbling! I can see it but can't make it happen!! Anyway, it was fun for a couple of hours. I'm fighting a cold so it took my mind off my throat.

Peggy, I like being paid to travel. Good job! :wink2:

Where is everyone this week???

Deborah

CM Neidhofer
09-21-2006, 12:33 AM
Yes, I was glad I went. Now, just to prove how tired I was, I got a letter in the mail yesterday from Terry Ludwig. Hmmm....what could THIS be??? Inside, I found my check I wrote to him for the pastels I purchased. An unsigned check....I forgot to sign the check!!!! :o This morning we drove down to his studio, SIGNED check in hand. Of course, I got some good natured ribbing over it while I was there. And a tour of his workshop! How cool is that??!! I feel very privileged!! :thumbsup:

Christine

K Taylor-Green
09-21-2006, 01:25 PM
LOL Christy! One way to get a tour!

It is the first day of Autumn, Summer officially over. I love Autumn, but sure am not ready to think of colder temps and all the nastys that come when it is almost over!!

Saw a really good movie based on a true story. "Take the Lead", with Antonio Banderas is a dance movie based on Pierre Duvaine, a ballroom instructor who turns around the lives of "reject" high school lods in a New York inner city school with ballroom dance. Wonderful! The program really exists and is growing by leaps and bounds. Ballroom dance is one of my favorite things.
Anyone else see this?

CM Neidhofer
09-21-2006, 02:28 PM
Saw a really good movie based on a true story. "Take the Lead", with Antonio Banderas is a dance movie based on Pierre Duvaine, a ballroom instructor who turns around the lives of "reject" high school lods in a New York inner city school with ballroom dance. Wonderful! The program really exists and is growing by leaps and bounds. Ballroom dance is one of my favorite things.
Anyone else see this?

Great movie!! We bought the new release when it came out.

Christine

PeggyB
09-21-2006, 02:41 PM
Yup! I too saw the movie with my daughter and son-in-law while in OKC. Loved it! Last year I saw "Dancing With The Stars" for the first time on TV (didn't see the first few episodes). This year I've seen it from the beginning, and am truly enjoying it. I'm not a big fan of TV anymore because all the shows seem the same to me - same stories different actors/actresses for the most part. However, this show seems like an updated version of the "variety" shows of old, but dancing only. Even my husband watchs most of it and says he enjoys it. Max and Cheryl are my favorite professional dancers - anyone else watch this? Oh yah - I'm also a "Survivor" fan!

Peggy

M Douglas
09-21-2006, 05:16 PM
I'm trying to stay away from the TV it cuts into my painting time lol. And those reality shows are my downfall. I just finished watching Rock Star Super Nova which was on 3 nights a week. After it ended I vowed I was not going to get hooked on another one lol.
I decided to take a course at the college this fall, my original intention was to take 2 classes but when I found out it would be three nights a week I backed out of 1 class, I felt I would be sacrificing my art time. After 2 weeks of class i'm so glad I did, I settled on the class that was only one night a week but with homework it works out to be 3 nights:eek:

Melodie

K Taylor-Green
09-22-2006, 03:20 PM
I'm not one for TV. But oh do I love dance!!! Even Fred and Ginger, lol! If I can't watch it, I love doing it. Jess and I took 10 monthes of ballroom dance lessons three years ago. I'd love to go back and take some more advanced lessons, but no time. If only there was something closer than Columbus!!

Kathryn Wilson
09-22-2006, 04:22 PM
Kate, there was a documentary out last year (forgot the name) and it showed classes being held in elementary schools in NYC - turned around lots of inner city kids from having nothing to do after school, to something productive and enjoyable for the rest of their lives. I loved "Shall We Dance".

I watch most of the reality shows, but my favorite this year and last was Rock Star. Can't understand most of the words, but enjoy the drama. Survivor fan from the beginning; Amazing Race; and, alas, Big Brother. I can't paint at night, so don't feel I am missing out and hubby enjoys them too, so it is something we do together after dinner.

KA Obee
09-22-2006, 04:30 PM
I signed up for a psych class that I needed in order to get into the program to get certified to teach art - but ended up having to drop it. Next semester I'll try to do both the psych class and the US History class I need, but this month my boys combined baseball schedule has us at the park every weeknight except Fridays, and twice on Saturdays and Sundays. I just couldn't do everything and decided to hold off for just one semester. I really want to get going on getting my teaching certification - but not at the cost of my sanity! And this class was an on-line class!
Good luck with your class, Melodie!
KA

M Douglas
09-22-2006, 05:19 PM
Thanks KA, i'm really loving it so far.....ewwwww except for the exam thats coming next week lol. I consider myself lucky in that i'm single and my children are all grown up and out of the house so I have no other demands on my time, I really feel for the young moms and dads that are trying to juggle school, work, family etc.

Melodie

PeggyB
09-22-2006, 07:46 PM
[quote=kyle]Kate, there was a documentary out last year (forgot the name) and it showed classes being held in elementary schools in NYC - turned around lots of inner city kids from having nothing to do after school, to something productive and enjoyable for the rest of their lives.

Kat, I think that was the movie that Kate, Christine and I were referring to above, Take The Lead staring Antonio Banderas. Made me wish I didn't have such a bad lower back, legs, and knees. My husband has always been a very good ballroom dancer - sure must have been something else I loved about me when we first dated as it certainly wasn't my ability to dance! He has very good natural rhythm, but alas I can't even think about trying to move much in such a manner without putting myself in extreme discomfort. Since I don't paint at night either, sitting in the recliner watching some favorite TV or reading a favorite book doesn't seem so much like a waste of time to me anymore as it once did.

Peggy

Kathryn Wilson
09-22-2006, 09:13 PM
Nope, the one I am referring to was a documentary - no actors allowed! It was all real kids, real teachers, real schools and a real competition at the end. Will have to find the title now!

Ahhh, here it is! "Mad, Hot Ballroom"

http://www.ericdsnider.com/movies/mad-hot-ballroom/

It is a very endearing documentary. If you get a chance to watch it, do! It was on HBO last year.

K Taylor-Green
09-22-2006, 10:01 PM
Kat, wouldn't be surprised if the documentary and the movie are related. The movie is based on the true story of a ballroom instructor who started ballroom dance in the NY city schools. The program has grown to include 42 instructors and thousands of students over several years, and yes, there is a competition every year.
I'd love to see the documentary.

PeggyB
09-23-2006, 01:47 AM
Kat, wouldn't be surprised if the documentary and the movie are related. The movie is based on the true story of a ballroom instructor who started ballroom dance in the NY city schools. The program has grown to include 42 instructors and thousands of students over several years, and yes, there is a competition every year.
I'd love to see the documentary.

Me too! I'll have to look for it. The trailer on the dvd had an interview with the original man upon whom the story was based. It was rather interesting how similar Antonio Banderas looks like the young pictures of him.

Peggy

K Taylor-Green
09-23-2006, 11:52 AM
I found a lot of info on Mad Hot Ballroom at Amazon. Ten years ago, Pierre Dulaine began the program called Dancing Classrooms. The documentary, Mad Hot Ballroom follows where the program is now, as these New York kids learn ballroom dance and compete in the city wide competition. The program is growing and expanding. I wish there was something like it in our own schools. I'd LOVE to get my grandkids in something like this. The local dance schools carry the usual ballet, tap, and gymnastics, no ballroom.