PDA

View Full Version : white space question and hello!

RogueWI
09-18-2006, 03:54 AM
Hello Everyone! I am new to WC!'s Acrylic forum, so I thought I would get acquainted with everyone by asking a question.

Trouble is, how do I phrase it? Ok let me try it...

I paint mostly on canvas board. My ultimate goal is for someone, other than myself, to own these paintings (naturally!;)). So, do I leave room for frames? In other words... do I paint to the edge of the board? Or should I leave a white space around the actual work? I dont want composition to be compromised by someone needing to add a border of some kind to a board...but then dont want to leave a 'paint free area' either by falsly assuming some external border would be used.

Did that make sense?

Anyway, I have decided to stop fighting the fates and do what I always knew I was born to do, which is be an artist. Its such a simple decision, why did it take me so long to get there? :-)

Looking forward to spending time with you all,

Rogue

*Violet*
09-18-2006, 04:44 AM
welcome to wetcanvas! ... this place is a wealth of information and i've learned so much by lurking and reading similar questions about any number of subjects ... on this one i'd hazard to say that canvas boards are generally made in standard sizes as are mat boards and frames and both mat boards and frames that would typically be used for canvas boards would only cover about a quarter inch on each side of the canvas so i would just keep this in mind when creating your painting so that you don't place any critical elements in those areas that would be compromized by a frame or a mat board ... mind you ... i've yet to put that much forethought into a piece and have had to crop pieces in ways i'd rather not have !! ...:lol: :lol: ... hindsight is what it is !! ... good luck ...

dreamz
09-18-2006, 12:57 PM
I tend to cover the whole surface and if some gets covered in the framing so be it

Artist_by_Accident
09-18-2006, 05:10 PM
Always paint to the edges but, as Violet said, don't place critical elements on the edges. The frame does only cover about 1/4" on each side & sometimes, no matter how well framed. you can see a bit of the area that's supposed to be covered by the frame. It's just better to be safe instead of having your work marred by an unsightly white area that doesn't fit with the painting.

ABA

Lady Carol
09-18-2006, 08:20 PM
Welcome to the forum. Great to have you join us.

The short answer is paint to the edges of the board, canvas or whatever you are painting on. But recognize that a little bit of your painting will be hidden by the edge of the frame, so don't sign too close to the edge where it may get covered.

RogueWI
09-19-2006, 01:15 AM
Ahhh... I have looked online a lot for this answer and you guys have answered it completely!

I am _so_ sticking around this forum! Thank you all so much. I cant wait to learn more from you all, and hopefully contribute a bit as well!

~Rogue