PDA

View Full Version : How Many of you Visit the Structured Critique Forum?

Tressa
09-17-2006, 05:45 PM
Why, or why not?
Do you think it is helpful, or just a lot of posturing from individuals who like to think they know how to give a knowledgable reaction to a piece of work??

I am wondering if this forum is viable, as there are no criteria to become a "critiquer", other than to sign up, and register...hmm...
I am asking this question out of curiosity, as I have had both really GOOD , and really BAD critiques here....and wondered what you thought of the forum itself...and getting your work critiqued..:)

So, nobody bodyslam me for asking this question:lol: :evil:
Tres

Jo Castillo
09-17-2006, 06:50 PM
I have visited there a few times and found it interesting. I agree that some critiques are good and some awful, but that is the same as being judged in a juried show, I think. Each person sees your work differently. Good or bad.

Usually for my own work, I just put it in the proper place: Soft Pastels, Plein Air, etc., and ask for comments. I just don't have the time to read and answer more forums. Especially since I am doing the Scavenger Hunts. Ha.
Jo

Tressa
09-17-2006, 09:07 PM
Thanks for replying Jo, this is what I was curious about:wave: ...do people really put too much or not enough emphasis on critique...
Hope to get some more responses:D
Tres

M Douglas
09-17-2006, 09:57 PM
I've never posted in the critique forum myself, but I do go over and check out the different posts there. Like Jo I post to the appropriate forum for the medium I am using.
I believe that when It comes to critiquing, you pick out the stuff you can use or agree with and discard the rest. Ultimately you are the artist and as long as you are happy with the piece and it matches your own criteria and expectations thats really all thats important.

Melodie

CJMonty
09-18-2006, 04:17 AM
I tend to just use you guys here in the Soft Pastel Forum. I have to admit I have never even been over there yet.

Maybe I should go over have have a look. I have always felt that all of you here on SP are the experts in this field so are the best ones to advise me on what I need to do to improve my paintings.

CJ (Carolynn)

Kathryn Wilson
09-18-2006, 07:45 AM
Tressa, on the sign up form there is quite a lot of information on how to structure your critique, tone of critique and so on. A critiquer must sign the form and agree to abide by what is being asked.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/signup.php

Also, there are guidelines to be read by the artist; more specifically, to realize that the critique will be "kudos-free" - so if you are looking for a pat on the back, that is not the forum to display your work.

The Open Critique forum is less formal, but you will be open to receiving critiques from anyone who happens to be in that forum - just like this forum, if you ask for a critique you will be asking everyone to comment and then you have to judge for yourself whether to take the advice or not.

cal studio
09-18-2006, 08:00 AM
Hi Tress,
I have visited that forum as you know. I mostly stay in pastels but once in a while go over for input. Some of the comments I have read have baffled me and others are helpful. I will be sticking to the experts advice here in pastels in the future. You all reallyknow best how to help improve or just view a peice that I have done. I think anyone could get a proper critigue in the proper forum. There are so many : )
Cath

Kathryn Wilson
09-18-2006, 08:37 AM
In discussions with Tressa, I thought it might be a good time to ask if the members of the Pastel Forum are getting what they need in the way of critiquing.

We can post another thread or a poll and discuss what we all need to continue to be a viable, informative, but non-confrontational forum.

Any thoughts or comments on starting a thread pertaining to this discussion?

Tressa
09-18-2006, 09:01 AM
In discussions with Tressa, I thought it might be a good time to ask if the members of the Pastel Forum are getting what they need in the way of critiquing.

We can post another thread or a poll and discuss what we all need to continue to be a viable, informative, but non-confrontational forum.

Any thoughts or comments on starting a thread pertaining to this discussion?

Thanks Kyle...:wave:
Tres

Piper Ballou
09-18-2006, 11:05 AM
I have learned and have grown as an artist here becasue of the direction and I guess you could call it critique that I receive when I post and I count on it to help me to see what I cannot. When I post on someone's work I try to tell them what I like about it and not just say, good job (although I do that do) I do not have the experience to say much more....

Kat, a poll, a thread would be great, I would be in support.
piper

CindyW
09-18-2006, 03:15 PM
Hi Tres,
Understandable question when one comes across an undesireable situation online.
One thing about online etiquette and a forum such as Stuctured Critiques...
None of us can see nor hear each other so no one can read the actual body language nor hear the tone nor see the faces being made or not made or the genuine good intentions given to another poster. That is the sad thing about being online. Our ability to "read" into another's personality and just how intense or light or frivolous or strong it is of each and every one of us is really hard to get dead on.
So, structured critiques will always have an air of misunderstanding about it no matter if we view a critique as good or bad in the words that we read.
I agree with Kat: "if you ask for a critique you will be asking everyone to comment and then you have to judge for yourself whether to take the advice or not."
It's very hard to get this many people together in this online community without some bumps and disturbances along the way. :) The success of WC just shows how nice we all can be most of the time to each other.
Cindy

*Marina*
09-18-2006, 04:35 PM
Tres, personally I don't like the structure critique forum. I have looked around there several times, but did not post. It seems to me that in that forum some people feel they can say anything and can be extremely harsh in their critique, just for the sake of it without any real ground. I read what they wrote about your painting. Read this one: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=370949 I bet you know what I mean. :thumbsup:

chewie
09-18-2006, 05:18 PM
marina--ouch, that seems harsh! grotesque? i don't think so. i agree that some of the posters don't seem to have any ettiquite (and i can't spell!) and some don't even have a homepage. i think if they can judge so harshly, they should have a line of work that can knock your socks off!

i think each person is a bit diff.--i dont' mind some judgement, but some others may not want it, or are new to art and dont' really need to be 'struck down'. i learned looong ago, in art, you'd better get a thick skin or not show a single thing to the light of day!!

and maybe a line in the sig., or a symbol or something near our name to show which level of critique we're each comfortable with? i would like to know that sometimes, does this person want some real comment, or just some 'make nice' words. (which i'm not slamming either! we all love cudos!)
myself, i've gotten some great feedback, esp. if i am specific on my trouble spot/s. couple paintings pulled outta the trash heap with some help from my friends. (uh oh, i may break out in song! hahahah!) and even this idea, comment away, i can take it! :)

*Marina*
09-18-2006, 05:50 PM
I agree with you Chewie. Feed back is great. but it should be constructive and not throwing your work down the drain. I am a bit stuck here for the right English words, but you probably know what I mean. :)

Tressa
09-18-2006, 08:14 PM
marina--ouch, that seems harsh! grotesque? i don't think so. i agree that some of the posters don't seem to have any ettiquite (and i can't spell!) and some don't even have a homepage. i think if they can judge so harshly, they should have a line of work that can knock your socks off!

i think each person is a bit diff.--i dont' mind some judgement, but some others may not want it, or are new to art and dont' really need to be 'struck down'. i learned looong ago, in art, you'd better get a thick skin or not show a single thing to the light of day!!

and maybe a line in the sig., or a symbol or something near our name to show which level of critique we're each comfortable with? i would like to know that sometimes, does this person want some real comment, or just some 'make nice' words. (which i'm not slamming either! we all love cudos!)
myself, i've gotten some great feedback, esp. if i am specific on my trouble spot/s. couple paintings pulled outta the trash heap with some help from my friends. (uh oh, i may break out in song! hahahah!) and even this idea, comment away, i can take it! :)

Ahh yes, this is what I mean...I have a pretty thick skin, and can take critique, but, where do you draw the line, and say, wait a minute, those comments are unnecessary...especially people who are very new to art, there are people with a lot of potential that withdraw due to some unethical comment on their work..
I think some form of communication is needed to be able to dicern what kind of info someone is looking for..personally, I think everyone in this forum is very courteous, and forthcomimg, but sometimes you need a few more eyes, but not quite sure what you are asking for, and then again, there have been times when I really DID NOT see until it was pointed out!!!

Chewie, I think a symbol of some kind is a good idea:)
And I must admit, I was hesitant to bring this subject up, as I was afraid it would sound like whining, but the thread Marina inserted is what prompted me to post in the SF, and then put up this thread...

Sometimes I have AKSED to be fired at, especially in a PM with someone whom I admire and respect, and even then, they do so in a VERY CONSTRUCTIVE manner:thumbsup:
Tres

Kathryn Wilson
09-18-2006, 08:36 PM
Tressa and I have discussed that this thread is really not pertinent to Pastel Talk (it is in an art sense, yes, but it would have been more appropriately posted in another area on WC). Be that as it may, I let this thread stand to see if there was interest in discussing this topic further as it does pertain to all of our members in the Pastel Forum in the form of a Poll asking whether we ALL are doing a good job critiquing.

I am going to let this thread go for a bit longer while I get a Poll up, then I will close it. It will be able to viewed, but not commented in - so if you want to voice an opinion, do it as soon as you can because as soon as the Poll goes up, this will be closed.

Note: just so that there is no confusion, we try to keep topics in the Pastel Talk forum related to pastel medium specific - all personal topics go in the Scumble, anything else needs to go elsewhere on WC. The Soft Pastel Gallery is just that - to show our pastel paintings, WIP's and so on. If we allowed topics of all kinds, then this would defeat the purpose of having forums for specific mediums. If you have any further questions, please PM me.

Deborah Secor
09-18-2006, 09:16 PM
Seems to me all we have to do is ask for some help. It's always a good idea to come in with at least some idea of what you like about your painting, what already pleases you, and what you think isn't working--then ask about that part.

I talk in my class critiques about 'volunteer critics', usually referred to as 'honey.' Now look at it this way, honey comes in and you dig one toe in the pastel dust and shyly ask 'do you like my painting, honey?' Poor honey is now trapped in the minefield of relationships. What does honey say? What will keep honey out of the most trouble?

If instead you ask honey for help by saying, 'honey, I really like this sky and I think the mountain is coming along, but I really want to know if the grass looks right,' then honey can tell you what you want to know and won't spend a week avoiding your easel and you because honey blasted your beloved sky or mountains causing a crisis of confidence...

We aren't all 'honeys' here, but we volunteer to be critics, so let's try to think of the other guy, not only when we ask but when we give an opinion. Sometimes you might come in and say, 'hey gang, I had a blast making this and wanted to share the fun with you!' That isn't asking for a critique!

It isn't all about just being nice, it's about being effective while remaining polite--right? It's the old 'Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.' :)

I think we do pretty well in the pastel forum...don't you?

Deborah

johndill01
09-18-2006, 10:04 PM
I personally don't go to the critique forum, just because of seeing some of the critiques posted there. I have seen similar shots taken in one of the other forums, but never in the pastel forums. It's entirely ok to tell someone that you don't like or care for a style, a painting or part of a painting, as long as you can say it without rancor. To trash another's work is IMHO totally wrong.

This past Saturday at our Art in the Park, we had a table set up for children to paint. One young man totally trashed his sisters work verbally. My response to him was that her work was not bad, just different from his. This comment was much appreciated by the Mother. I see lots of works that I don't care for, but if I don't have a suggestion for change or improvement, then my mouth stays closed. ( which is a rarity)

I think that the C and C that I have recieved in the pastels forum have all been constructive instead of negative and very much appreciated.

John