PDA

View Full Version : Casein + Gouache

Richard Saylor
09-17-2006, 05:39 AM
This is just a quickie experimental painting which I did after discovering that Shiva Blue casein is not exactly to my liking. It uses pthalo blue gouache, and Shiva Rose, titanium white, and Naples yellow casein. Once you mix gouache with casein on the palette, it behaves pretty much like casein when applied to the painting.

Most of the photorealistic effects in the mountains were obtained by dry brushing the shadows with a round watercolor brush, held so that the bristles and handle were almost parallel to the painting surface. This created random patterns, which were then refined by conventional brush techniques.

There is a lot wrong with the painting, but as so often happens with me, I got tired of it and rushed to get it finished (and it shows).

Richard

idcrisis55
09-18-2006, 08:48 AM
I really like those dry brush textures you have in the mountains. Do you like the mix of gouache with the casein to achieve the blues you wanted? They look good to me.

Ann

JamieWG
09-18-2006, 11:03 AM
Richard, I really like the way your limited palette unified and harmonized the painting. The mountain shadows and movement in the water are fabulous! That's so cool that casein and gouache can be mixed! Who knew!!! :D

Jamie