PDA

View Full Version : Gesso Question

studemobile
09-16-2006, 11:23 PM
Hi Ya'll,
I have always applied 1-3 coats of gesso with a course brush in a crosshatch fashion. This gives me a look I like when using acrylic paint. All the various gessos I used for the first 4 years had the consistancy of milk. Then I happened to order a container of Jerrys Gesso and was pleased to find that it had the consistancy of heavy whipped cream. Possibly this is to allow the artist to thin as desired??? Anyway I use it as is by applying it with a credit card then doing the crosshatch with a very course brush I found at the grocery store.
I do not want to be locked into always having to purchase gesso from that vendor. So to my question:
Who else offers this super thick gesso - or - can I purchase some powder and thicken regular gesso to my liking???

gingery
09-17-2006, 06:06 AM
I've purchased gesso from Nova & it's nice & thick.:thumbsup: I've never gotten any thin gesso before & I always buy the least expensive that I can find. I don't remember what previous brands I've purchased.
ginger

Lady Carol
09-17-2006, 09:54 AM
Golden has a thick like cream gesso.

Have to agree with Ginger here, I have never had the thin gesso and in fact I always thought that gesso should be fairly thick.

snoball
09-17-2006, 10:01 AM
Both Dick Blick and Daler-Rowney have a very nice thick Gesso. It comes in plastic jars, not bottles.

chopper1
09-17-2006, 08:58 PM
I'll go with all of the above ! :)

dragonshade
09-17-2006, 11:12 PM
I'm actually looking for a very thick gesso. Blick's for example to me is too thin, and Liquitex is way too thin. Any ideas?

Valri Ary
09-18-2006, 01:10 AM
I have a bottle of 'system 3' sitting to my right elbow as I type and it is SUPER DUPER ultra thick. I love it!!!

chammi kaiser
09-18-2006, 05:28 AM
Lukas Gesso is really thick and creamy . Chammi.

studemobile
09-18-2006, 09:26 AM
I've purchased the Dick Blick gesso - Jerrys is thicker - the consistancy of joint compound. So thick I apply it with a plastic credit card then texure with a very course brush.

Paintswithdogs
09-18-2006, 04:26 PM
The Pla-za brand of gesso is very thick, reasonably priced, and comes in larger sizes. I prefer thinner, but if thick is what you want, you should give it a try. I used a palette knife and scultped this stuff 3-D like you would modeling paste. It shrank a bit as it dried, but otherwise held its shape.
Julie

cuttlefish
09-19-2006, 05:12 AM
I've seen products labelled as acrylic "gesso" that ranged in consistency from light cream to spackle. I'd always understood the purpose of the stuff as to provide both stable bonding with and a barrier between the support and successive layers of paint. I guess if you like the super thick stuff, use what you like. I'd worry that it isn't being adequately absorbed by the support, though, if it weren't fluid enough.

dragonshade
09-19-2006, 09:32 AM
True, and valid. I personally will add water (mister) to the support before coating, but I do also use gesso instead of white (unless i have a super-highlight), and do a lot of dry-brushing (Yarnellish) so I like lots of body.

BTW... I got a bottle of the Liquitex Basics gesso the other day....very thick.

idylbrush
09-19-2006, 10:54 AM
Golden gesso is good and can be thick. I can also attest to the fact that as it sits on the shelf water will dissapate and it will thicken a bit over time. I put a piece of plastic wrap over the mouth of the jar before putting the lid on so it is easier to access at a later time. Given time it will thicken. Water can be added to thin as desired.

Have you checked to see if on the golden site there may be some instructions or additives to make it thicker. Just a thought.

screechin
09-19-2006, 12:08 PM
"Jerry's" gesso? :confused: