PDA

View Full Version : Hello, can I please get some advice?

TxAggieDarlin
09-16-2006, 10:50 AM
I usually hang out at digital but from time to time, I try acrylics. I think digital has taught me some things but I have a long way to go.

I recently painted this (teaching of Jerry Yarnell) and when I sketched it...I ended up w/ more wall space over on the left. I think I need to put something there, but want an expert opinion [you guys are it].

And, if you think yes, do you have a suggestion as to what I might put there?
I thought of a tree limb, but I am not realy good at trees:D

I appreciate any suggestions you might have....

Thanks

3chaway9
09-16-2006, 11:08 AM
Hi Aggie :wave: ...this is very charming painting as it is IMO...and i think with all the texture marks on the L/ it's enough...i'm no expert (far from it) but i thought i'd comment anyway...did you enjoy painting with acrylics?

TxAggieDarlin
09-16-2006, 12:15 PM
Thanks, Chaway...
I really did enjoy it, but it scares me. I cannot tell you how long it sat on my easel with sort of the blocked in done....With digital if I mess up, it does not seem to bother me, but with this, I get uptight. I love it if I can make myself go sit down and paint. I think of nothing else...great for the brain lol

jeff m
09-16-2006, 12:18 PM
To negate your space on the left you could use a wall sconce, just make sure to keep it light and it does not become "the subject".
Put it closeish to the door, you dont need to fill the space just balance it.

And a doorhandle, for some reason doorhandles just seem to improve doors.

Nicely done wall.

TxAggieDarlin
09-16-2006, 12:41 PM
Thanks Jeff, did not think of something like that...like maybe with small ivy or just plain..maybe wooden on/or concrete?

Roger Evans
09-16-2006, 12:59 PM
I usually hang out at digital but from time to time, I try acrylics. I think digital has taught me some things but I have a long way to go.

I recently painted this (teaching of Jerry Yarnell) and when I sketched it...I ended up w/ more wall space over on the left. I think I need to put something there, but want an expert opinion
Since you are experienced in digital, then use that as an available tool to explore variations in your painting process. I do it all the time. I take a picture of my WIP and then put it in Photoshop to explore color changes, additions, deletions, etc. Digital is just a tool. Here is one suggestion, which would make the wall seem more random.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Sep-2006/89662-smallerbluedoor2.jpg

I just sampled the existing bricks and added them to your painting. (hope you don't mind! ) :)

Anyway, looks great. Keep working on it. I like the style. It reminds of the terrific murals you see in some small Tex-Mex resturants.

Roger

fala
09-16-2006, 12:59 PM
Maybe a garden tool hanging off a nail on the wall? Or a tool like a shovel in the barrel. I think it works just fine as it is, but thought I would throw in some suggestions. I was kinda looking for a door handle too.

fala
09-16-2006, 01:03 PM
Oh, I like what Roger did! Maybe just the one patch.

Lady Carol
09-16-2006, 01:56 PM
Oh, I like what Roger did! Maybe just the one patch.
Agree here. A little over the top with Roger's modifications but it does demonstrate excellently how to fill the area and adding interest without adding another totally different element.

dreamz
09-16-2006, 02:25 PM
I forget which one of teh TV painters said it but its true, they are there to show a technique, if you want to add a tree or take out a rock or whatever , it doesnt make it wrong, its YOUR painting, theres no reason to stress over exact placement ~~~ did jerry/bob/sue, have that tree here or a half inch over this way~~

you painted a very charminmg scene, very well:thumbsup: I do like Rogers idea with another patch of brick showing, but its really not needed IMHO

Charlie's Mum
09-16-2006, 05:16 PM
I agree with any and all of the above! :lol:

My immediate reaction too your query was to add a house number - all suitably dated/worn/faded!

Do more acrylics Aggie - and come back:D

TxAggieDarlin
09-16-2006, 05:16 PM
I love the brick showing.........just not sure I can do it with the plaster already there...If I painted it dark and put the bricks in, do you think it would look ok. Great idea. I wish I had planned it that way from the start...Thanks so much for all the ideas...Yeah I think I will play digitally and see what comes out.

:wave: Thanks everyone

Thanks Mum...I will. Wonderful group here

Roger Evans
09-16-2006, 06:10 PM
I love the brick showing.........just not sure I can do it with the plaster already there...If I painted it dark and put the bricks in, do you think it would look ok.

The best thing/ worst thing about acrylic is that it can be totally opaque. Just sketch in the specific area where you want the brinks to be. Create a 50/50 mix of ivory black and titanium white to form a grey paste. This will be totally opaque and will cover the small area where you want the new bricks to show through. Apply without wetting your brush so that it is creamy and thick. Smooth it into place and let that dry for about 30 minutes. Paint your bricks on top of that opaque grey and nothing from undeneath will show through. You can lay in a layer of white on top of the grey first if that makes you feel more confident but it won't be needed.

As a general rule, my base layer is always this 50/50 grey mix before I even start a painting from the beginning. This serves two purposes. One is that it provides a more neutral starting point for values. Painting something dark over a light canvas can create the impression that it is too dark. Painting something light over a white canvas can, well, dissappear altogether! The other benefit is just as illustrated with your painting. If I decided to change an area, I know the very same 50/50 mix will be perfectly opaque and, once applied, will provide a new zero starting point, as if I had never painted on that part of the canvas before. Nothing from before will show through.

Again, your painting looks just great. You could leave it like it is and it would still be fine, IMHO.:thumbsup:

Roger

TxAggieDarlin
09-17-2006, 10:03 AM
THANKS,Roger............I am learning every day..........this was very helpful!!

Southafricannovice
09-17-2006, 03:04 PM
I love it as is and I think I will love it with all/any of the "things" suggested above. Can't wait to see what you decide!:thumbsup:

Jon
09-18-2006, 11:33 AM
Do more acrylics Aggie - and come back

Yes, indeed.
Btw, I 'sneak' into the digital forum once in a while and I enjoy seeing your digis, Aggie.
:)