PDA

View Full Version : View from my house -Sandia Mountain Fall

Deborah Secor
09-15-2006, 06:45 PM
This is the view I see every day as I go down the hill I live on. I started it as a demo for my class but it's turned into a 'keeper'. This is truly fall in New Mexico. C&C welcome, always. Hope you like it...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Sep-2006/23609-Knolls_View.jpg

On reclaimed Wallis, 11x17".

Deborah

HarvestMoon
09-15-2006, 06:50 PM
beautiful dee- can I move in????
cheers,
Linda

Tressa
09-15-2006, 06:52 PM
Ahh, Dee, what a beautiful view;how can you bear to leave it:( ..also a true NM sky(BIG, BOLD, and LOVELY):)

K Taylor-Green
09-15-2006, 07:05 PM
What a truely glorious view! The sky is to die for. Not that we don't have beauty here, but nothing like that! And you rendered it soooo well! This is wonderful, Deborah.

Charles Perera
09-15-2006, 07:13 PM
Very attractive painting. The coloud formation is an excellent demonstration of pastel painting.

Charles

Kathryn Wilson
09-15-2006, 07:29 PM
Will you accept renters if you don't sell? :):):):) First dibbs!

scall0way
09-15-2006, 07:36 PM
This is the view I see every day as I go down the hill I live on.

Go ahead, make me jealous! :envy: I can't imagine being able to look at that wonderful view every day. What a lovely painting you have made of it.

ponting
09-15-2006, 07:55 PM
Never mind being jealous of the view.....how about jealous of the talent!!

Even more awesome than usual :o

Cheers, Dianna :cat:

Winny Kerr
09-15-2006, 08:24 PM
Oh how beautiful, you are blessed. And yes, Fall is here in Prescott as well, some trees are already turning yellow. Not sure I'm ready for Winter, seems we just had it.
Winny

granddad
09-15-2006, 08:24 PM
great view and great painting. just wonderful. james

binkie
09-15-2006, 09:03 PM
Deborah, It's a gorgeous painting. A wonderfully calming painting.

binkie

cal studio
09-15-2006, 09:23 PM
o.k. I have family in NM that I have yet to visit. Time for a reunion. Gorgeous!!
Cath

Shari
09-15-2006, 10:38 PM
Deborah, This is so beautiful. I love the southwest, you are fortunate to live there. I don't think I could stand to be so far away from the ocean though, do you ever miss it? You are blessed to be surrounded by such beautiful nature. Ae you far from the nearest town?

Deborah Secor
09-15-2006, 11:56 PM
Wow--I go off to church and come home to all this response--thank you one and all for your generous and encouraging words! :heart:

I did this one sort of for myself. At least I had in mind painting a couple keepers that would record this lovely spot so that when I move into the city I'll still have it to look at. That's actually about the last thing I need, considering all the things I'm trying to get rid of! :lol:

I'm am blessed, and delighted to share this beauty--but in the actual painting the mountains don't look quite so drab-gray. Oddly enough, though, the sky is fairly accurate in color on my monitor.

I'm afraid out 'guest room' is the great outdoors! Anyone with a tent or camper...

Whoo hoo! I just received my entry from PSNM and all three of my paintings were accepted! Now I have to frame them. Mixed blessings, always. I think I'll be buffing up some older frames, but I'm glad to take part.

Shari, I don't miss the ocean much anymore, but I did when I moved here back in '81. However, the sky became my ocean! It's so stunning--this ever-changing, continual beauty just brings me joy... For me, 'the heavens tell of the glory of God. The skies display his marvelous craftsmanship..' We live in a semi-rural environment, out of the city by about 20 miles, and high in the mountains (we're at 7,000 feet) but we live in a little development of about 400 homes that has been here since the 70s, so there's a community, too. (www.sandiaknolls.com check out the bear photo & the cloud shot!) The grocery store is about 5 miles away--not far--and they're talking about installing a stoplight on our highway now. Sometimes it takes you all of three minutes to make a left turn there...(I can hear the city dwellers guffawing!)

The air is clean and the sounds and sights are soothing. Welcome to New Mexico! :)

Deborah

Bhavana Vijay
09-16-2006, 12:16 AM
Oh my! This is soooo breathtaking! I love it!:clap::clap: I need to visit NM!

Congratulations on your paintings being accepted!!

Jo Castillo
09-16-2006, 01:26 AM
Deborah,
Lovely painting. You do live in a very special area. We are still in Silver City, NM, for a month longer. It is hard to leave as a NM native. I can stay in touch through your paintings! :) Hope to see you next May at the IAPS convention.
Thanks,
Jo

dbjs
09-16-2006, 03:00 AM
I like it very much! Nice to have something beautiful too look at out the window. I've got the ocean too look at every day through my kitchen window.
Hope you make some more beautifil paintings/drawings (do you say painting or drawing when using pastels?)

Best Regards
Dorte

valchina612
09-16-2006, 04:56 AM
What a beautiful painting Deborah. You certainly do live in a very pretty part of the world. :clap: :clap: :thumbsup:

Val. :wave:

Karen Margulis
09-16-2006, 08:59 AM
Just Beautiful!!! I don't blame you for wanting to remember this view. The shy is gorgeous and I love how you compare it to the ocean! Thanks for sharing.

Karen

CindyW
09-16-2006, 09:01 AM
I can feel the heat with the highlights on all the plantlife, I can hear the desert sounds, the stillness with a tiny warm breeze every couple minutes.
Beautiful, Deborah.
It's so interesting to see paintings from everyone of their surroundings....let's us all have a glimpse of our backyards and with this connection makes it a smaller more familiar world. A nice feeling.
Cindy

Deborah Secor
09-16-2006, 09:03 AM
I call mine paintings. :) All the color aspects, yet done without pesky brushes.

Thank you all... it's sure a nice spot, true. Do come to the IAPS in May and see this part of the world.

Deborah

Piper Ballou
09-16-2006, 09:41 AM
Deborah, what a wonderful painting...there is nothing like the Southwest skies, everyday they are different.
what a wonderful memory for you to have when you move to the city, glad you did it even if you don't think you need it.
thanks for sharing with all of us
piper

beebluefern
09-16-2006, 10:04 AM
What a gorgeous painting...the colours are so vibrant and clear...I'm sure you all have that clear kind of weather there-so lovely to paint in!! Well done Dee!!!

AnnieA
09-16-2006, 11:19 AM
Just beautiful Deborah. It must be hard to leave such a wonderful place. I love the clouds especially.

Paula Ford
09-16-2006, 12:21 PM
Such a beautiful painting Deborah! This is what I call the "perfect" painting and wish I could do half as good as you do!!!

Paula

Adriana Meiss
09-16-2006, 11:58 PM
Deborah,
The sky is magnificent! I hope to have the chance to visit NM someday. Is the desert in bloom in May?
Adriana

Kathryn Wilson
09-17-2006, 03:00 PM
It's so interesting to see paintings from everyone of their surroundings....let's us all have a glimpse of our backyards and with this connection makes it a smaller more familiar world. A nice feeling.
Cindy

Just so that we don't tromp all over dee's thread, we (Sheri) has started a new thread where you can post photos or paintings of your back yards.

Mary Brigid
09-18-2006, 09:51 AM
deborah this is so beautifull. I am totally in awe of your work. I love nature and I can see by your paintings it inspires you also. we are blessed with what a wonderful world we live in. thank you :)

Cheena K
09-18-2006, 10:42 AM
WOW! What a view! It must be such a beautiful sight...
A great painting! :clap:

watergirl
09-18-2006, 12:10 PM
Awesome! Can't wait...

Deborah Secor
09-18-2006, 01:20 PM
The view is changing already... the top of the mountains are just beginning to turn golden as the aspens respond to the cold. The peak is in excess of 10,000 feet, so it's already getting cold enough there for the change.

Is the desert in bloom in May?
Well, it depends on what you mean by 'in bloom'! Yes, in some ways it is, although what blooms is totally at the whim of the weather. This year we had no rain in the springtime so things didn't bloom much. We're in a 7-year drought, which finally broke in the late summer. We had more rainfall in July than the entire rest of the year combined... and if we get snow, as we should, the spring shoud be drop-dead gorgeous! If not... <shrug>

Around IAPS I can promise blue skies, high mountains, clear air, with temps in the low 80s (F), & low humidity.

Deborah

sundiver
09-18-2006, 08:56 PM
I knew this was going to be beautiful, and wasn't disappointed! It's glorious, Deborah!