PDA

View Full Version : newbie needs C and C

craigthompson
09-15-2006, 01:53 PM
Hi all,

I am a newbie and I am looking for ways to make my paintings more professional and something to be proud of. If anyone has enough free time to bother looking at my portfolio then I wouls really appreciate C and C. be nice, but please be honest (friends try their best but I always feel they're not distanced enough to be truthful) I have attached one image for those who dont like to travel too far from WC.

Thank you all in advance

Craig

http://www.art.com/memberartist/Craig_Thompson

Southafricannovice
09-15-2006, 03:08 PM
Hi mate,

I am no expert so I can just give you the advice that I think. I love your style personally. The abillity to take something ordinary like a tap or vase and make it into an artwork is quite something. I personally love your photography and then the attached thumbnail of the vase is brilliant, I love the roughness and the boldness of the colors.

As I said, not a great help with getting your work to look more professional but I do like what I see. Welcome to WC!
:wave:

3chaway9
09-15-2006, 03:18 PM
Hi Craig :wave: ...welcome to WC and the acrylic forum...i had a look at your paintings in your portfolio...and they are all fine...very nice....what specifically do you want help with?
This is your style and it's how you paint...:wave:

Keith2
09-15-2006, 03:50 PM
Ii don't think the subject matter is interesting to the viewer. Cropping out the top of the plant in the jar makes the picture unconventional, but visually it's unsatisfying. The composition seems too weighted to the left.

On the other hand the colours and brushwork are bold and confident.

I think the other pictures in your portfolio are much better.

Lady Carol
09-16-2006, 09:04 PM
Hi Craig :wave: welcome to the forum. The vase is exceptionally interesting in that it glows. I thought it was a light at first. You portfolio appears to be very well grounded in the basics. Continue to paint more. We have all be at the stage you are at.

sir_real
09-16-2006, 10:03 PM
Howdy,

Visited your site, read your statement, looked at the pictures. I ask the same question that 3chaway9 asked: What exactly do you want? While you seem to clearly take an expressionist stance with a "what I paint is what I paint" attitude, you might want to look deeper into ways of communication. For example, while I enjoy the painting of the vase, what exactly should I be getting out of it? Is your art purely internal, external, or both?

As a viewer, I guess, I'm asking why I should care to view your work. (I know, as a product of art school this question is perhaps the lamest and/or hardest questions to ask/answer). A vase is a vase, lilies are lilies, etc. What are you trying to say with them? Are they just their own? If your work is internal: what are you showing us that represents you, your issues, views, etc...? if it is external: what are you trying to say about life, the world, etc...? and if it is both...just merge both of those questions.

Since you seem set in your ways of paintings, I'll refrain from commenting on them, however, think over the why's since they're the most important questions anyway.

craigthompson
09-17-2006, 01:52 PM
Hello,

Thanks to everyone who responded, your replies have been so positive and useful. I was really just trying to make sure I wasn't making some fundamental errors in painting ( like using the wrong end of the brush). I also need to spend more time thinking about composition I think, I tend to just paint something with the intention that it looks nice at the end.

Craig