PDA

View Full Version : Some of my tubes of caseins have dried up...

JanB
09-14-2006, 07:00 AM
are they ruined?? They're about 2 years old....should I just chuck them and buy new ones?

JamieWG
09-14-2006, 08:25 AM
*sigh* Yeah, they're gone, Jan. :( We're so spoiled by our oil paints, which seem to last forever.

Geez, I'd better go check mine.....I haven't used them for a looooong time.

Jamie

idcrisis55
09-14-2006, 09:07 AM
Jan, one thing I read somewhere was that the tubes of casein paint needed to be squooshed (massaged) occasionally so that the paint moves around in the tubes. I'm trying to remember to do this, hoping the paint will last a bit longer. I know this info is too late for the paints you have but maybe it will help in the future.

Ann

andymathis
09-14-2006, 09:46 AM
I haven't tried casein yet, but your problem of it drying so fast in the tube got me thinking.
Can you mix gouache in Shiva Casein medium? Just to keep from having to buy gouache in a tube, and casein in a tube, and trying to use it all before it drys up.

Richard Saylor
09-14-2006, 10:21 AM
...Can you mix gouache in Shiva Casein medium?...You can, but since gouache has a gum arabic binder, the paint film will not be as tough and water resistant as true casein. You can make the real thing by mixing dry pigments with casein medium.

Richard

Weezy
09-14-2006, 10:23 AM
Oh great! My husband already thinks I am weird.....I can just see his face when I tell hime I am going into the den to massage my paints!:lol:

idcrisis55
09-14-2006, 10:26 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol: hope he doesn't hear the caseins' sigh of pleasure :lol:

Ann

dbclemons
09-14-2006, 10:53 AM
Massaging is not required, and wouldn't really help if there's air getting in. I've got tubes that are several years old that I've never "squooshed " and they're fine. Some tubes just don't close well or somehow get air in. It happens with other types of paint too.

Once they dry, there's no going back. It's possible, however, that you can salvage a bit that may be still wet inside by cutting the tube open, and using a new container.

I've also asked Richeson if the Shivas have a shelf life, but haven't heard back from them.

Richard Saylor
09-14-2006, 12:03 PM
It will help if you keep the tubes in a Ziploc bag, together with a small sponge moistened with water and a few drops of household ammonia. (The ammonia prevents the growth of unwelcome guests such as mold and bacteria.) The humid environment will retard the paint from drying out in case the caps aren't sealing well. Every once in a while check to see if the sponge needs re-moistening.

Richard

JanB
09-16-2006, 08:02 AM
Thanks for the interesting answers!
Yes Jamie I am spoiled with oils I don't even have caps for some of my current tubes...lost in the field :lol: They're all fine and will be used up much faster than they would ever be able to dry.

The ziplock bag and spone is a good idea!!

I'm beginning to seriously think about gettinng pigments (I already have the casein emulsion) and some gum arabic....and mixing fresh paint in small batches when I have the urge to use gouache or casein.

JamieWG
09-16-2006, 08:42 AM
Jan, I have the one pigment I'm always dissatisfyed with in tube form---ultramarine deep. I usually mix my own for oil and acrylic, and have thought about getting some gouache/watercolor and casein medium to do the same. However, to do it for all the colors would be a LOT of trouble. I've spoken to Michael Skalka at the National Gallery and he urged me to at least mull it with a glass mueller for a long time for oils, even though it is a friendly pigment that easily drinks up the oil when mixed with just a palette knife. It's a lot of fun to do for one pigment, but would be very time consuming to do with many. Also, ultramarine is a relatively safe pigment. The particles do get airborne; there's really no way to avoid that. I find it all over, even on the outside of the container. I'm not so sure it would be a good idea to mix cadmiums at home, so just be careful! :)

BTW, I store my homemade ultramarine in a small, sealed plastic container in the freezer. I just take it out awhile before I'm going to paint, and pop it back in when I'm done.

Jamie