PDA

View Full Version : getting seen on ebay

jolie
03-22-2002, 04:25 PM
i've been doing a bit of research about online sales, mostly by reading the threads here and tracking ebay sales. there is so much info to wade through that i'm beginning to feel overwhelmed. as i searched through 36 pages of abstract art, it occurred to me that some of those pages might never be viewed. i got sick of looking by page 7 or so. how do you make sure your listing is on the first few pages to ensure the maximum amount of views?

jolie

timelady
03-22-2002, 05:23 PM
I think the general consensus is that people search for items rather than browse (although more people probably browse the art categories than other categories). This way the items are listed with the ones ending soonest at the top. I've found that most of my sales are by bidders on the last day, so they must be viewing things in ending order.

You can also pay for gallery image (very recommended!), featured, and other special fee items. I haven't found featured worth it, but other artists have done well with it so it depends on your approach I guess (I don't start with low bid amounts).

Tina.

CathyD
03-22-2002, 07:52 PM
Jolie, I agree with Tina, I think that most of my bidders search for specific things and look at the ending auctions first.

You're right there is so much to wade through and it is overwhelming. But you just learn as you go!

I just recently posted my second 'featured plus' auction, but I only do that with paintings that I think will have more appeal than others that I have done. This service costs 19.95 so you want to be able to get that back and a little for yourself by the end of the auction. The difference in views is amazing! It has been almost 24 hours since I posted this latest featured plus auction and I already have 166 views with 6 days to go.

I was cautious to try this because of the cost, but now after 6 months of selling on ebay and knowing what sells for me, I felt more confident to give this a try. So far so good!

Good luck!
Cathy

CarlyHardy
03-22-2002, 10:33 PM
When I first contact my buyers, I ask them how they found me among all the thousands of artists at ebay. They tell me consistently....

#1 They saw my "gallery" image and clicked to see all my auctions
#2 They used "watercolor" in their search
#3 They saw my work on the closing day of the auction

After someone finds my paintings and they like my work....they consistently tell me that they bookmark "carlyart" in their search so they can remember me and find my art easily.

carly

Maggie J
03-28-2002, 10:44 AM
As a newbie ebayer I have noticed a lot of hits on the first day ( new today) and last (ends today) so I assume that's how they found me, but Carly, I was thinking of doing exactly what you do and asking how they found me. This was when I was trying out categories and I was going to ask them which category they searched in....I had forgotten all about it and you've just reminded me!
As an artist who works in acrylics, I wonder if this is a bit limiting if people tend to search for watercolour or oils. I wonder if adding oil style acrylic would be an idea as acrylics can have such varying styles and I tend to paint with a thicker application.

What do other acrylic artists do?
Maggie J :confused:

timelady
03-28-2002, 03:17 PM
Sorry Maggie but I'm not sure that's really a good comparison. Many oil painters (like myself) paint very thin. My oils vary from staining like watercolour to heavy paint. As do my acrylics. :) But you never know, having both "oil" and "acrylic" in your title could increase your hits anyway. So might be worth a try!

Tina.

Maggie J
03-28-2002, 03:46 PM
Yes, Tina - I was thinking, since my last posting, that even though my paintings are not like watercolour - they're not really so like oil either. I dunno! Maybe I'll just try both oil and acrylic - like you say anything's worth a try!;) .....or maybe I'll stay leaving it out the title altogether!

hairballsdotcom
03-28-2002, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by Maggie J
.....or maybe I'll stay leaving it out the title altogether! Maggie -- I wouldn't take up the space in the title, use it for more important key words. BUT you might add them in the description -- just say something about your technique that will include the words like "This is an acrylic painting, very different from an oil painting or watercolor painting."
When someone searches both the title and description (I think a lot of people do) yours will pop up for 'oil painting' or 'watercolor'. Just a thought.

CarlyHardy
03-28-2002, 11:41 PM
I agree with Lori on that one....I'd put a line about your paintings in the descriptions using several mediums instead of using them in the title.

If you use words in the title that don't pertain to the art shown, you could be seen as key word spamming in your title. If you are selling an acrylic....there would be no need for oil in the title.
Unless....it's an Oil Rig painted with Acrylics!
carly:D

Maggie J
03-29-2002, 11:43 AM
Thanks for the tips Carly and Hairballs - I will definately try using the description more and watch out for the keyword spamming thing! It's a learning curve isn't it!

Have a nice Easter everyone
Maggie J
PS/could start a new market in oil rig paintings!!:D