PDA

View Full Version : Evening at Bowmans Hill - ET

JeffG
09-13-2006, 10:07 AM
Still working on this... just have to pull it together and sew up some details. Snapping a pic and posting it helps me see them better, it seems.Hopefully, I'll have it done before next week.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Sep-2006/1883-et_bowmans_WIP02.jpg

Egg tempera, 14 x 18

idcrisis55
09-13-2006, 10:15 AM
Your painting looks like a scene just down the highway from me :). Beautiful work and detail. I enjoyed your web site and wish you much success with your show in October.

Ann

Weezy
09-13-2006, 10:29 AM
OK Jeff, I can see that there will be a lot of WOWs when I speak (type?) with you. Nice piece, and 14x18 is good size. Egg tempera is so time intensive. How long did this take you?

JanB
09-14-2006, 06:51 AM
Just beautiful!!!!

JeffG
09-17-2006, 12:13 PM
Thanks everyone.

I think this took about 2 weeks. I always have a couple going at once, so its hard to put a firm timetable on them.

I find greens tricky to do in tempera, but I'm getting the hang of it. That caused me a bit of back-&-forth.

JamieWG
09-18-2006, 11:07 AM
Jeff, wow, that's a lot of detail. It's hard to see the brushwork, which I'm sure is exquisite, when a highly detailed painting is so reduced in size. When you finish it up and take more pics, would you please take some detail shots for us too, so we can see it close up? Thanks so much!

I really like your sky and the composition. I'm so drawn to that tower/structure on top of the hill. I want to see the view from up there! :D What is it?

What's left to do on the painting?

Jamie

JeffG
09-18-2006, 12:41 PM
... I'm so drawn to that tower/structure on top of the hill. I want to see the view from up there! :D What is it?

Here's a wikipedia entry for Bowman's Tower. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowman's_Hill_Tower)

And more from the Bowman's preserve. (http://www.bhwp.org/about/feature.htm)

Climbing up to the top for a looksee is one of the must-do's if you grew up in this vicinity. I especially like the (far-fetched) legend that there may be pirate treasure buried on this hill somewhere, and the spectres of gibbering ghosts flitting around the tower (which isnt particularly old)

What's left to do on the painting?

It's done now. Adjustments I made since posting would've been minor and not noticable in a JPEG this size. I often post images at that stage of completion because tweaking doesnt affect the online view, and because I may see things in posting that arent as noticable in real life.

I've started getting many things professionally photographed at really high resolution lately, but I dont know if I will do that with this. If not, I'll see if I can post a detail. Any specific area?

janemoth
09-18-2006, 08:22 PM
It's amazing! Do you go to the flea market in Lambertville?

JeffG
09-19-2006, 06:58 AM
It's amazing! Do you go to the flea market in Lambertville?

Thanks!

Occasionally, but not as much as I'd like. I'm a sucker for old junk. My sister-in-law, on the other hand, goes all the time.

JamieWG
09-19-2006, 01:39 PM
I'll see if I can post a detail. Any specific area?

I'd love to see some of the highlit reddish grassy area, and some of the tree. :)

Jamie