PDA

View Full Version : Finished WIP: Fountain Bookstore

piper2
09-13-2006, 09:35 AM
I was putting this together for an ad and I just thought it was kinda cool to see how ugly it started. This is of a bookstore in Richmond and is destined for a gallery down there. I really liked working on this one; I feel like my stained glass style is starting to come together finally.

C & C appreciated!

It's 12 x 48" acrylic on canvas.

idcrisis55
09-13-2006, 09:43 AM
Cool painting! Good luck with it in the gallery too! I like the way you posted the photo and the underpainting together then, the lay-in and the final posted together.

Ann

gingery
09-13-2006, 10:04 AM
This is really neat!:thumbsup: I like this stained glass effect painting! :clap: Very nice!:cool: ginger

dreamz
09-13-2006, 10:42 AM
my only complaint is having to click back and forth between thumbnails!

Your street scenes are realy fantastic

3chaway9
09-13-2006, 11:17 AM
my only complaint is having to click back and forth between thumbnails!

Your street scenes are realy fantastic :lol: :lol: :lol:

i love your work too....your so clever Piper....:clap: :clap: :clap:

Jon
09-13-2006, 11:32 AM
A lovely street scene! :)

Bertoni
09-13-2006, 12:11 PM
piper:
Love it!!!! Very innovative!!:clap: :clap: :clap:

Lady Carol
09-13-2006, 01:21 PM
Interesting way of demonstrating what you have done. I confess I didn't get it until I read one of the comments :o

But the end product is totally awesome.

agarwaen
09-13-2006, 01:40 PM
Very nice. I like your style.

amaze_1101
09-13-2006, 04:05 PM
Gosh Maggie. Its difficult to believe you can get from that first blocked in stage to this fabulous finish. Lots of interest everywhere and the colours are delightful. I really do love your style and it certainly is very stained glass looking. Reminds me of the stained glass work my dad used to do before he retired.

rmc
09-13-2006, 04:51 PM
This is so good Maggie - it is indeed a stained glass style - I love the way you layed it out and showed how you were planning the painting - the finished line work is superb.
I have always admired your underpainting - it gives such a vibrancy to the finished work. I think you are onto a complete winner -:clap: :clap:

Hoofmama
09-13-2006, 05:50 PM
Maggie, I ran across one of your posts here on WC several months ago and I've been lurking on your site and watching your auctions ever since. :cool: Something so magical about your work. I'm really drawn to street scenes, especially cobbled-little-european-street scenes. I hope you will consider sharing your technique in more detail someday. :wave: Until then, keep up the wonderful work and best of luck.

Southafricannovice
09-13-2006, 07:39 PM
Absolutely brilliant!!!:clap: :clap: :clap:

piper2
09-13-2006, 08:40 PM
Wow, thanks everyone! What wonderful comments!

I always thought I was just playing in this media and that colored pencil (ala my sig. line) was my true home. So I'm surprised that anybody would want a more detailed WIP. I'd be glad to oblige with a disgustingly detailed one of my next if you're interested.

:D :D

I don't know if anyone else feels like this, but I feel like I have an image in my head of how I want my work to look, and since I've begun painting, a little bit more of that vision makes its way onto the canvas. So success is a higher percentage of inside-of-my-head showing up than percentage of frustration-at-it-turning-out-differently.

piper2
09-13-2006, 10:45 PM
Ok . . .if anyone's interested, I've just written a very long-winded description of how I did the bookstore on my blog: http://greywarenart.blogspot.com/

rmc
09-13-2006, 11:27 PM
Maggie - your blog is a great read - tried to post a comment, but I'm not a blogger. Rock on girl.

piper2
09-13-2006, 11:29 PM
:D Thanks, Ruth. What gets me are those stupid verification codes. I think you have to have to be a member of Mensa to get those.

Tich
09-13-2006, 11:51 PM
Thanks Maggie that was just great. Really enjoyed both this post and your blog. :thumbsup:

Ta Ta Tich :clap:

Margaret 59
09-14-2006, 01:03 AM
Maggie, thanks for doing the WIP. of your latest painting. As usual, it's great. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Had a look at the rest of your blog too and my favourite has to be the Clydesdales because they were a common sight in my youth - Oh, didn't mean to give my age away...never mind. :wink2: :lol:

piper2
09-14-2006, 09:16 AM
Thanks Tich & Margaret. Hey, you didn't give away nuthin, Margaret. They're a common sight to me as well, because they pull the tourist carriage here in Fredericksburg.

Hoofmama
09-14-2006, 08:47 PM
Maggie--so excited...running off to view your blog right away. Thanks for being willing to share your thoughts and techniques with us aspiring artists. :)

piper2
09-14-2006, 08:48 PM
:D Hope it helps!