PDA

View Full Version : Sabretooth Sanded Pastel Paper

M Douglas
09-12-2006, 07:14 PM
Has anyone used the sabretooth sanded paper, its made in Montreal Canada, I noticed that its new on the Dakota site. I'm wondering what it would be comparable to. I currently use La Carte but I would like to branch out and try some washes and do some plein air. I know wallis is a good choice, but I would like to get something that I can buy in Canada.

Melodie

Deborah Secor
09-13-2006, 01:58 AM
The Sabretooth is a sanded paper, but not SANDpaper. It has a gritty surface with an unevenly fine texture, not terribly deep--sort of rough but fine. It's more like handmade paper. I found that the colored sheets seemed like they had a layer of paint over the top, which filled up the tooth too much for my taste, but that was years ago and I think it's been reworked... It's fairly tough and you can do washes or use solvents on it. I don't particularly care for it myself, but some do!

Deborah

M Douglas
09-13-2006, 02:16 AM
Thanks Deborah, that doesn't sound like something that I would like. I think I would probably be better off just getting some of the wallis.

Melodie

khourianya
09-13-2006, 11:45 AM
I don't particularly like it, though I have a fair few pieces still in my paper rack. Currys sells it cheap and that's where I got it. I like it better for oil pastels.

If you want to try it - PM me your address and I will send you a couple of sheets. That way you can determine if it is something you'd like without ordering enough to make a minimum price.

KJSCL
09-14-2006, 01:46 AM
Melodie

You might actually like the Sabretooth. I recently just stocked up again from Opus.

The Sabretooth is a textured paper and quite frankly I'd stick with the white/light colored papers. Here's a link to a cat portrait I did last year on Sabertooth. If you like blending, this paper will work for you.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309487

jmp
09-18-2006, 07:38 PM
I ordered a piece but then found out it was better for oil pastels. It has a weird texture, it almost reminds me of vinyl flooring with a dull, matt, grainy finish. I think it would be good for someone who works with a certain style, maybe strong definate strokes, or abstract, but I didn't like it for my type of work. I hear it can be reworked to death, too.

M Douglas
09-18-2006, 11:02 PM
Thanks for your imput Kathy and JMP, isn't it funny how each person has a different view on things, what works for one doesn't always work for the other. I suppose the best bet is to just try out different materials.

Melodie