PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Casein Landscape

idcrisis55
09-12-2006, 05:16 PM
I've been practicing more with the caseins. Surprisingly the odor didn't bother me at all today. This is painted on 7" x 5" gessoed Ampersand hardboard using Shiva caseins from my imagination. Because the paint kept lifting, I finally resorted to using Golden GAC 100 after the layer dried. I'll have to pick up some Weldbond PVA glue to use for sealing a layer.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Sep-2006/15669-CaseinLS091206_2.52pm_005_500.jpg
All the colors you see in the photo are in the painting, but the camera exaggerated the colors a bit I think. I tried toning it down by decreasing the saturation and contrast in Photoshop. The painting is much crisper than it looks here.

C & C welcomed and appreciated :)
Cheers,
Ann

idcrisis55
09-12-2006, 05:34 PM
I have also attached a thumbnail of the painting. This photo was taken with the painting placed in natural light near an East window at 4:25 p.m.

Ann

Weezy
09-12-2006, 06:59 PM
I can see your increasing command over the paint.....keep at it. This is nice. What's next?

Richard Saylor
09-12-2006, 11:44 PM
Very nice painting! Shellac (thinned with denatured alcohol if desired) or Shiva varnish (same thing) is supposed to be good for sealing casein layers, and it dries fast. I'm planning to try it on my next painting.

Richard

idcrisis55
09-13-2006, 08:24 AM
Weezy, thank you :). Next is a still life, I think. What is next on your easel?

Richard, thank you very much. I do have the casein varnish and will give this painting a coat of it. So it is okay to apply the casein varnish between layers? Thank you for this information! I will try that too.

I am also going to experiment with Weldbond glue for glazing between layers, as well as using a palette knife and painting wet in wet (thicker paint). I liked what Weezy painted using the wet in wet method.

Ann

dbclemons
09-13-2006, 11:25 AM
...I am also going to experiment with Weldbond glue for glazing between layers, ...

I'm curious to hear how that works for you. I can't picture it not lifting the paint somehow or adding shine. I've used clear shellac before, and it works well, but I wouldn't recommend using it between several layers. It can be brittle.

idcrisis55
09-13-2006, 12:30 PM
Hi David, I couldn't find Weldbond glue in the hardware or automotive stores in my small town so will have to wait until I go to a larger city :(. I will let you know how the experiment goes :D. The Golden GAC 100 definitely adds gloss to the painting. Just thought you might want to know that.

Okay, question for all you casein painters that glaze layers, what do you use as a barrier layer (other than what has already been mentioned.) Or do you just paint a glaze very lightly (one stroke) without a barrier layer?

Thanks,
Ann

dbclemons
09-13-2006, 02:50 PM
There are several commercial brands of PVA glue, including Elmer's. I don't think it being Weldbond would make any difference. The PVA that is best recommended for adhering paper and wood for art purposes (by conservators) is of a "higher grade," but I don't know the exact difference.

When I once tested a matte medium on a casein surface long ago, I remember it didn't dry completely clear. It somewhat diminished under a bright light, but was still noticeable. I suspect PVA would look the same.

idcrisis55
09-13-2006, 05:14 PM
Thanks David for the info on PVA glue and the matte medium. So Elmer's Glue is PVA but a lower grade. I will have to do some research to find what brand conversators recommend.

I noticed in this landscape painting that the lights appear darker so perhaps it is the glaze of GAC100 that caused that (which is still a bit tacky.). I will wait a few days to see if it dries hard or if it remains tacky before applying varnish.

Thanks again :),
Ann

JanB
09-14-2006, 06:47 AM
Ann I think your landscape is wonderful, I like all the colors! Thanks all for the insights on glazing. I've experienced the same issues with lifting...and would like a final bit of sheen (not gloss) on my finished pieces...any recommendations???

idcrisis55
09-14-2006, 09:15 AM
Hi Jan, thanks for taking a peek at the painting and your comments.

I am hoping someone with more casein painting experience will answer your question. I have the Shiva varnish but have yet to use so I don't know if it will be a satin or a gloss finish. I do plan to varnish today so I may be able to answer your question then.

Ann

P.S. Am I slow or what! I just looked at the label of the Shiva Varnish and it says "Can be used as a retouch varnish between layers of paint. Also an excellent glossy finish varnish."

I'm wondering if MSA varnish like Golden's could be used on casein?