PDA

View Full Version : Licorice Allsorts

ponting
09-12-2006, 03:16 PM
It's always been one of my passions to paint these little babies. When I found these unique Finnish Allsorts I knew they were meant to be my first attempt at my favourite-of-all candy. :heart: If I could just keep them on the table long enough catch the sun. :lol:

Thiis is a 9.5 x 12.5 " on La Carte Pastel Card

I've used a combination of Holbein, Terry Ludwigs, Unison sticks and Carb Othello pencils along with my trusty Pitt and General black and white charcoal pencils.

The picture on my monitor is a little more greyed than the real thing but that could just be my PC

C & C always welcome and appreciated.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Sep-2006/34523-Allsorts-painting-sm.jpg

Cheers, Dianna :wave:

kordelia
09-12-2006, 03:22 PM
awwww, yer a cruel, cruel woman, D.Ponting...... now where's the nearest store that sells those????...................................... that's the kind of candy: you SEE it, you WANT it..... you are gonna drive people nuts with this painting, m'dear!!!....... i'm sorry, i cant comment for the saliva filling up my eyes................... :o Kordelia

dbjs
09-12-2006, 03:38 PM
Ahh...candy is not for me :), but it's really a very nice drawing/painting. Your degree of detail is stunning!

ponting
09-12-2006, 03:39 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Sep-2006/34523-roflbo_emoticon.gif You are too funny Kord....now just watch the salivating....this is La Carte and it doesn't like moisture!! http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Sep-2006/34523-no.gif

Thanks so much and sorry but they are only available in a tiny country store that sells only CANDY!! http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Sep-2006/34523-praying.gif

Oh you poor demented soul Dorte ;-D

Cheers, Dianna :D

Karen Margulis
09-12-2006, 03:51 PM
This is my kind of painting!!!! You've made them look absolutely delicious! I've never had allsorts...are they hard candies or chewy?? Thanks for sharing...now I need to go find something sweet to eat!!!

Karen

ponting
09-12-2006, 04:00 PM
OH MY GOODNESS!! Another deprived individual. I'm truly sorry for your loss of all those calories Karen. :( Definately soft and chewy!! And these are much sweeter...it that's at all possible than English Allsorts. :thumbsup: :lol:

Thanks for stopping by.....:wave:

Cheers, Dianna

*Marina*
09-12-2006, 04:05 PM
Wow, they must be sweet then, Dianna, if they are sweeter than the English ones. Beautiful painting again. How do you have the patience. I always wondered about painting "English liquorice" (as we call it in Holland) but found it to fiddly. Love the colours though. You did a great job.

ponting
09-12-2006, 04:12 PM
Yes they're bad, bad, bad!! Good to see you here Marina. I'm always amazed now that when I read yours and others from the workshops....that I can hear your distinctive voice. :p

I had thought again to anticipate those who want the close-ups (It always happens :rolleyes: ) and get them in early. :lol:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Sep-2006/34523-Allsorts-painting-left.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Sep-2006/34523-Allsorts-painting-right.jpg

Bringer
09-12-2006, 04:15 PM
Hi Dianna,

I keep forgeting the translation of that word to portuguese.
Are those the original ones ? I know it's a very old sweet.
You know, if I had a business of my own, that would be either a coffee/cafe where I would also sell «pastéis de nata» (a kind of pastry with fill doe (?)sprinkled with cinnamon and powdered sugar», or an old fashioned candy shop.
Your work is sweet with making teeth hurt.

Kind regards,

José

*Marina*
09-12-2006, 04:18 PM
Is this more or less real seize, or bigger?

M Douglas
09-12-2006, 04:41 PM
MMMMMMMM allsorts are my favorites too Dianna......you will be the cause of me blowing my diet.... sweet topic, incredible painting.

Sorry I didn't get to see you at the meeting on Saturday, I ended up having to hang my paintings at the Grab a Java in Mission. Hopefully I will make it to the next meeting, although I think I have a class with you that month.

Melodie

jkt
09-12-2006, 05:28 PM
What a great picture. My first reaction was a giggle, followed by respect for the outstanding skill in capturing the life like quality. Want to reach in and take a piece. The reflections in the scoop are wonderful. Thanks for sharing. What a great example.
JoAnne

Shari
09-12-2006, 05:47 PM
These are great! I have never seen candies like this before. They look just like polymer clay canes.

*Deirdre*
09-12-2006, 05:56 PM
Dianna, Whilst I respect your right to reproduce any candy you choose...just because you can...I am sure you weren't aware you would miss out depicting Bertie Bassett by doing so!:lol: :p
Beautifully done....good job I'm not working on La Carte at the moment!:evil: :wave:

CindyW
09-12-2006, 05:59 PM
Love it!!
The peachish tablecloth is one of those colors that surprises me with its strength to carry a painting...here's the proof of that in full glory!
Very nice! :)
Cindy

Merethe T
09-12-2006, 06:53 PM
Oh.....that's just irrestistable!!! I keep staring at the candy,it's so incredably well done,just wanna reach out and grab a bite...and than the eye wanders off to the scoop,and it's just like - wow - amazing reflections! And the colours - ah,yummmmmy piece!

*runs off to raide the kitchen cabinets, there has got to be some candy in there she's thinking* :wink2: :cat:

Mary Brigid
09-12-2006, 06:54 PM
they sell that candy here all the time in ireland. Highly addictive it is too. I would never have lasted the time to paint them.... but then I am not a genious like you Dianna :clap: :clap: :clap:

ponting
09-12-2006, 07:45 PM
Hello one and all....wow such a lot of comments and I only ran down to the stop to buy a canvas!! Heaven forbid that I actually leave town. :lol:

José...no one has EVER told me that one of my paintings was "SWEET" :D ...but I'll take all the compliments I can get. Is it the word "licorice" or as Marina and some of us hear ever say "liquorice" that your are looking for? ....alcaçuz? is that right?

Marina I had to actually go up to it and measure one. :confused: No, larger than life by maybe 10% :cat:

Hello Melodie...hanging paintings is good! Great reason to miss a meeting. Which class are you in Oct or Nov?

I quote you JoAnn... "My first reaction was a giggle"" ???? What is with this giggle?? You're not allowed to giggle at my paintings....snicker maybe but giggle ...no way!

Deirdre I don't even want to talk about Bertie Basset's licorice allsorts. Carolyn and I lived on those on our trip. You remember my sister Carolyn??? The thin one??? Well she insisted on having a bag of those open between us in the car for the whole 7 weeks...well she's still thin but my hips have turned black with all of the licorice hanging on them!!! Actually I'm saving Bertie's for later....their easier. You know me...get the hard stuff over with first. :D

Shari...never?? Well maybe not these ones but surely the regular Bassets? I never thought about it but yes these do look like something made out of polymer clay. Bet the clay people have been there and done that one already!! :cat:

Cindy the photo I took was actually a brilliant yellow check cloth but I thought the peach would look better with the copper and peach candies. Glad you like it. :)

Merethe YOU GET ON BACK HERE!!

And Mary.....we ate a lot in Ireland too! :D

JamieWG
09-12-2006, 07:53 PM
Dianna, you must have the patience of a saint. Besides, you're making me hungry. These look great!

Jamie

palettetalk
09-12-2006, 08:04 PM
Dianna...are those all-sorts from the candy/tea room store near Abbotsford...a stand alone funky little place with all kinds of old fashioned candy? I love that little shop. I wish I were closer to it as I have this crazy, out-of-the-blue longing for a huge mouthful of soft, chewy, licorice all-sorts... slurp...
Sigh...hats off to your talent,
Susan

ponting
09-12-2006, 08:13 PM
Hah Jamie...not so on a large painting. The individuality of all the little pieces that make up the whole are what intrique me and stave off bordom. :)

Hello again Susan. :wave: You got the store right....great place isn't it. :thumbsup: I have oodles of photos that really will take tons of patience to put to paper or canvas one rainy day. http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Sep-2006/34523-crack_the_whip.gif

Cheers, Dianna

Holley
09-12-2006, 08:46 PM
Wow, very sweet painting!!
Love the layout and colours, great job on the scoop chrome.
Now my teeth are hurting, lol!!!

Tressa
09-12-2006, 09:20 PM
Diana, you are definitely a crewl woman:evil: ..These are superb, and I have to hide them from my hubby, as he is an addict:lol:
Tres

ponting
09-12-2006, 09:30 PM
Teresa....you're right....I am cruel but sweet to right Holley? Thanks ladies for stopping by...
Cheers, Dianna

HarvestMoon
09-12-2006, 09:34 PM
Licorice- oh how I hate it. But your painting is perfect as they all are and ALMOST makes me want to try one (good thing I know better LOL)

johndill01
09-12-2006, 09:53 PM
Well, since looking at a great painting doesn't sooth the sweet tooth and since these are only available in a small area, I guess we'll just have to wait by the mailbox for your package of sweets to arrive. :D ( You did volunteer to mail these to all who commented on your painting didn't you?):smug: Another great painting. :clap:

John

prettytulips
09-12-2006, 10:49 PM
Diana,

Your detail amazes me. Each time you do a new one I tell my illustator roommate Javier to come and look. Now I can see why I am paying attention to more detail on my painting, you rubbed off on me! Also, such a small painting and such detail. Very good, now I want a piece of candy!

Kelly

Piper Ballou
09-12-2006, 10:58 PM
Very detailed and wonderful, brought back memories of that type of candy we had around the house while growing up....or maybe a different kind, but none the less, a good memory....
by the way...if you are sending sweets out....I like the red ones
piper

jmp
09-12-2006, 11:13 PM
Lamb, anchovies, and licorice - three tastes I despise! I can smell the licorice just looking at this. Very effective. Yuk!!!

ponting
09-12-2006, 11:26 PM
Thanks everyone for popping in and taking the time to comment be it good or bad. :D HM... I have to agree with you and Jennifer. I couldn't eat licorice if if didn't have all that icing hanging off it. :lol: I'm certainly glad you don't hold it against my painting. :cat:

John, I'll trade you. I'm looking for some of that wonderful ribbon candy that we used to get in our stockings at Christmas. Wouldn't that be fun to paint. You find me a box of that and I'll send you off some of this stuff. :thumbsup:

Kelly...what are you doing on here....you're on a deadlline lady...go...shoo...get to work...I'm waiting for the results...all the results. :rolleyes:

Piper now you know they don't make red ones..only hot pink but Í'll keep you in mind if I run into any.

valchina612
09-13-2006, 12:28 AM
OMG, this is such a beautiful painting Dianna. I used to LOVE Licorice Allsorts, until I became diabetic. You're a cruel lady Dianna, 'cos I want to go straight to the shop and buy some, but I'm not allowed to. I shall just feast my eyes on your delicious painting and enjoy them with all my might that way. :clap: :clap: :thumbsup:

Val. :wave:

Mike_Beeman
09-13-2006, 02:18 AM
These have to be my favorite candies...I could never have had a still life like this set up long enough to paint,,,After ten minutes, I would have ended up just with the silver bowl! Nice job, Dianna!!

formerlyunknownart
09-13-2006, 03:43 AM
:lol: Hey... I've got that ribbon candy in a box in my china cabinet left over from Xmas 2 years ago:lol: You want some? Its all stuck together in some beautiful shapes.

Anyway, your painting is grand and what's this about an old fashioned sweet shop out there? You been holding out on me?? geeeeee e!!! :confused: :envy:

I'll have to save up me pennies when I come out there for the class in January. hmmmm road trip? lol

Morris T. Howard
09-13-2006, 05:39 AM
Hey Dianna,

You know I should be asleep at this hour instead of looking at another one of your great paintings! :) You are so masterful. :thumbsup:

Morris

Rose Baggs
09-13-2006, 09:58 AM
Amazing painting Diana!!! Makes me want to try to paint a still life... Inspiring!!! :)

ponting
09-13-2006, 11:24 AM
Good morning one and all....:wave: And a fine morning it is...getting set to do an acrylic next...but not a still life! Need to supply a gallery painting for next week to go with their theme. Hmmmm.

Val thank you for the cruel jibe :lol: I don't suppose they could possibly make these without sugar...that would just be called black licorice wouldn't it ? :D Feasting on a painting may not be as tasty but surly you will end up healthier than Mikey and I chomping away at the easel....Hi Mike :wave: Thanks for stopping by.

Melanie....ooooh I am so covetous of your candy. :lol: Solidified into nice shapes you say? Coming my way? :cat:

Morris...we have to quite meeting at midnight like that...people will talk and I hardly know you!! :angel:

And what is this Rose??? Try a still life??? You've done at least one wonderful still life that I've seen. I don't think there is any 'try' to it. :p

Well I'm off to my easel....let's see what today brings. :wave:

Cheers, Dianna

Merriel
09-13-2006, 12:19 PM
You sure know how to stir us up. This is incredible. To be honest here I have
a dish of licorce on my computer desk daily. I keep telling myself no more as
I always over do it. These are wonderful I can taste them of course. Fresh
too. Not old and tough like sometimes they can be.

This painting is wonderful. How long did it take you to do this? How could you not have ate your set up?

leirrem

M Douglas
09-13-2006, 02:38 PM
I believe i'm in the November class, sorry Dianna I meant to reply back earlier :o but i'm all caught up with Jamie and Claire :heart: i'm now on book 2 lol. Are you pretty much hanging around home lately? I need to stop in and give you a deposit on the January advanced class.

Melodie

ponting
09-13-2006, 03:56 PM
OOPS! Melodie, the January advanced class is full now.....:eek:
HOWEVER....there is still room in the other January class. :o and the good news is that you have already paid me a deposit for the Novermber class so your safe there. :thumbsup:

But on to Clair and Jamie...only book 2!!!!! Let me see...750 pages a book times 5 and a half books....:eek: ....You won't get any work done for the next 6 months!! You need the unabridged audios from the library lady so that you can listen at your easel. Please don't tell me that I introduced you to Jamie or I will feel really bad. :lol:

How about you Merriel....got room on the desk beside our food group for several Gabaldon books?? They'll keep you so occupied there will be nothing but petrified pastel pebbles left in that dish and you will save a ton at the dentist.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Sep-2006/34523-allsorts.jpg

Cheers, Dianna :cat:

Bringer
09-13-2006, 04:23 PM
Hi Dianna,

Yes ! Alcaçuz. Thats's the word.
And yes, it is liquorice. Then it's not those.
But I have seen those kind of things here. Are they kind of acid ?
In english can one also say alcaçuz ?

Kind regards,

José

funkie
09-13-2006, 07:02 PM
Another great painting as usual :thumbsup: Thanks for the close-ups. I always appreciate those. I can see some tiny little color changes in them that are so common in your work. This looks a little dark on my screen. Is there anything happening in the shadows that I'm missing out on?:lol:

Mags,

Bhavana Vijay
09-14-2006, 02:00 PM
Dianna!! Another incredible painting!!:clap: :clap: :clap: Love, love the scoop!! All those colours on it! The candies look so gummy and gooey that my teeth hurt( I just had teeth extractions done!:P)

ponting
09-14-2006, 02:17 PM
Hi José....yes they would be considered acidic if they didn't have all that colourful sugar glommed onto them.?

Hi there Mags...haven't seen you here in a while. Hope life is treating you well and your working hard. Knew you would be around to see the close crops. :lol: What's in the shadows? hmmmm....will have to see if I can do anything there.

Bhavana....The copper scoop. Yes I have a set of three that I collected with props in mind...let me see....about 8 years ago. :p About time I put one of them to work. These props have overflowed into my dining room....seriously overflowed as any of my students can attest. :D I think I should just spend some time photographing still lilfe arrangements and market them on a CD. I will never in my life get to use them all but at least I got this one over and done with. :wave:

Cheers, Dianna

Meisie
09-15-2006, 02:51 PM
Dianna, these are wonderful!!! I love the warm feel of the picture. As to licorice....I still want to draw those too some day(jelly beans too...)....but what I don't eat, my youngster does.....it'll be some effort to get a picture taken before they disappear! :D

:clap:

Charne

Paula Ford
09-16-2006, 01:35 PM
Absolutely gorgeous!! I love this candy!

ponting
09-16-2006, 01:59 PM
Thanks Paula. I have a ton of messages on my screen all with responses you have made to variious threads that I am also following. Does that mean that Saturday is the day they let you have the computer? :lol: :wink2:

Cheers and thanks for making this one of your stops!!
Dianna :cat:

Paula Ford
09-16-2006, 02:05 PM
Yup :cat:

kordelia
09-16-2006, 02:38 PM
Diana.... i have to quote my 6yr old g/daughter: "see? she tried her very very best and LOOK at it!! it's PERfect.... let's give her 10 thousand clappies!!!!!"
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

meowmeow
09-16-2006, 05:53 PM
Oh my! Well, I hope you have this under glass when you display it because all the drooling will surely melt the candy....I mean pastel!
Very nice! I love the pink tablecloth with it!

Sandy

Adriana Meiss
09-17-2006, 02:07 AM
Dianna,
I admire your patience for painting with such detail and wish I had at least 10 percent of it! I love the tablecloth.
Adriana

ponting
09-17-2006, 03:25 AM
Kordelia....please do thank your granddaughter...what a sweetheart!!:heart: and thank you for the telling of that little ditty!!

Sandy PULEEEEEZE!! keep that saliva away from my La Carte!! :lol:

If you were my customer Adriana, I would have an easy time of it just making tablecloths....toss the candy. :thumbsup:

Dark_Shades
09-19-2006, 09:01 AM
This is so Delish!!!! - I am on my lunch break at work, and only have a rotten ol Chicken sandwich - I wish you had brought some of these with you for your workshop lol .... look so much more interesting than the ones we have here.... ha ha ha, just picturing us all at the workshop grinning away .... with black teeth .........
As always, a beautiful stunning piece........ just Love what you do, and how you do it..... you always make your work look so easy..... Do you always work in the same methods as you showed us?

Bhavana.... I think I should just spend some time photographing still lilfe arrangements and market them on a CD. ICheers, Dianna

I DO hope you are serious here ........... I would absolutely snap one up for sure.... and if you were not serious...... I think you should really consider it...... definately a Market for it

ponting
09-19-2006, 12:03 PM
Hi Dawn :wave: Yes, same method as we all worked on....working from left to right. It was a brilliant yellow tablecloth which I altered to match the copper scoop. I will have to try doing that in PhotoShop some day. I know it's possible to just say "change color" and presto its done like a different glaze over a grisaille.

I really am considering a CD....in my next life perhaps..:lol: I have so VERY many props and love doing the set-ups so you never know....it may happen.

Really good to hear from you again Dawn........take care and keep dirty!! :D

LaurieE
09-19-2006, 08:04 PM
Hi, Dianna,
I finally got back to this site. Love the licorice, so real looking! Good luck with your coming show. Hope to see you there.
Laurie E.

ponting
09-20-2006, 02:57 AM
Well hello Laurie...I hope to see you there. I will be at the gallery all the first weekend. Please do introduce yourself. :D

Cheers, Dianna

gordoiye
09-20-2006, 06:49 PM
OMG!! i was all excited to get into pastels; now i'm not so sure i could even attempt something like this (bowing down in respect)

cheers,
gord

binkie
09-20-2006, 10:50 PM
Oh Dianna, Your paintings are so incredible!

binkie

ponting
09-20-2006, 10:57 PM
Hello binkie...I recognize your perky little ears...thanks so much for stopping by!! :wave:

And hello to you Gord. I don't believe we've met here before. You certainly do some work that is so appealling to my tastes. A little nostalgia in those store fronts. :thumbsup: Good work and I hope you LOVE pastels...Welcome to the dust bin! I've just posted on over on the acrylic forum so we're both stepping out here. :lol:

Cheers, Dianna :clap: