PDA

View Full Version : PSA Exhibition in NYC Sept. 8 - Oct. 1, 2006

BruceF
09-12-2006, 02:35 PM
I didn't see this posted, so I thought everyone might be interested. PSA is having their Annual Exibition right now. I've gone to see it over the past few years and have found it really inspiring. It's one of the things that got me interested in pastels.

Saturday, Sept. 16, 2006 is their annual Art of Pastels Materials Fair. They have most of the pastel makers represented. So, you can see and play with a lot of the sticks. It runs from 9:00am - 4:30pm. And they usually have many demos from the members that day as well. It's great to see how other artists work.

PSA's 34th Annual Exhibition (http://www.pastelsocietyofamerica.org/main/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13&Itemid=31&PHPSESSID=9f25e569f7e5c340b4b22705504e8a24)

Deborah Secor
09-12-2006, 02:42 PM
If you go, bring back photos for us! I'd love to see how this show looks, if they allow photos...

Deborah

Karen Margulis
09-12-2006, 03:57 PM
I am proud to say that our own Marsha Savage (my teacher) has a painting in the show!!! I am so excited for her and can't wait to get the review.:clap: :clap: :clap:

Karen

Tressa
09-12-2006, 05:01 PM
YAY!! I am going up on the 30th with my pastel society group!! We will see the exhibit, then have a portrait demo by Sara Sue Pennell..after the demo, we all go to a place for dinner, it is a lot of fun!! Last year, the demo was done by Bill Hosner, the model was a friend of his, a wonderful lady with such a regal posture, she was a fantastic model!!! They do offer a CD of the entire show for 15.00, but Dee, you are allowed to take photos, so between all of us that get to go, we should get a good amount of pics!!
Just being in that BUILDING is enough to get your fingers itching to create, knowing you are walking the same space as Robert Henri and others, and the architecture is awsome!!! I like to go look at some of the "old" paintings they have hanging also in the building..
Tres

Deborah Secor
09-12-2006, 06:26 PM
Great--looking forward to seeing it..!!

Deborah

CJMonty
09-13-2006, 02:21 AM
WOW, afraid it's too far away for me:lol: '

Do you get to be able to buy any of the various materials or is it just to show them?

Can't wait to see the pics.

Carolynn

PeggyB
09-13-2006, 10:27 AM
Do you get to be able to buy any of the various materials or is it just to show them? Carolynn

They have a vendors' show similar to the one held by IAPS. So yes, you do get to buy the supplies. It woud be just too cruel to show the wonderful supplies, but refuse to sell them! :lol:

Peggy

scall0way
09-13-2006, 05:22 PM
Well this would so easy for me to get to, if I could just get up my nerve! A funny thing to say, maybe, but going into NYC always gives me severe panic attacks. I have terrible claustrophobia, and for some reason I always start to hyperventilate and have trouble breathing when I go to NYC. I think it's because Manhattan is an island, and I always have this trapped claustrophobic feeling there when I think about how few are the ways in and out of the city. More than you wanted to know, right? :)

But I've always wanted to go to the PSA show. Does anyone know if there is a list of artists who will be exhibiting this year? I can't find the info on the website, just a list of prizewinners from the 2005 show. If I found that someone I felt I "knew" was exhibiting it might give me more push to go!

Hmm, on interesting. On a Yahoo group I belong to one woman is moaning over the fact that her cherished women's college she attended is planning to go co-ed, and there was an interesting discussion about the value of a single-sex education, and how girls who go to single-sex colleges often do well - as in co-ed situations there is always a (proveable) bias towards giving more attention to the boys.

It made me think of the thread here on wetcanvas about how many male vs. female pastel artists we had. As I recall it worked out to about 1/3 male and 2/3 female. Yet I was just looking at the PSA website's "Hall of Fame" and I see that of the artists represented there, there are 22 men and 8 women! Hmmmm. Well, can't prove anything with these numbers. I'm just commenting. :)

Tressa
09-13-2006, 05:32 PM
Debbie, Marsha has a painting in the show, so there ya go:D ..
I feel for ANYONE who suffers panic attacks, used to get them pretty severe, but, have not suffered in a few years...
Gramercy Park is such a nice residential area, and rather slow by New York standards, I really enjoyed walking around the area..hope you can get there, it is well worth the effort..
Tres

RedEquus
09-13-2006, 05:41 PM
My friend has a painting in this show and lots of the members of my pastel society are in this show as well. The latter part, I'm not bragging about. In fact, there are so many heavy hitters in our pastel society that it is extremely competitive. I always feel proud when I get a picture in and I'm hanging with the "Big Dogs".

My friend got the same painting in the Hudson Valley Artist Association show which is held at the same location. She had the prime site for her painting. It was hanging right behind the podium so every photograph that was taken of folks getting their awards, her painting was featured. It was a hoot!

AnnieA
09-14-2006, 06:50 PM
Will there be an online gallery of the entrants' paintings (or at least the winners')? That's something I would really love to see.

We folks on the left coast find it a bit harder to get to all the way to NYC. :lol:

(Although I have to add that I noticed that a still life class by Richard Pionk is offered through the PSA on Saturday mornings that makes it very tempting to try to get there! http://www.pastelsocietyofamerica.org/main/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=33&Itemid=58&PHPSESSID=9f25e569f7e5c340b4b22705504e8a24 - there are other classes too that look really good!)

Thanks, BruceF, for letting us know about this...I'm gonna be checking back for photos!

MarieMeyer
09-15-2006, 01:18 AM
I've just returned from the show. I thought it was very good. Certainly the largest number of pastels I've ever seen in one place at one time! Sorry, but I didn't take any pictures.

A word of advice: if you are planning on going, call the National Arts Club and confirm that the show is going to be open on the day and time you have in mind. I turned up bright and early on Sat. only to be told that the show was closed that day becasue they were setting up for something else in the adjacent space and it wasn't safe for visitors to be wandering around.

BruceF
09-15-2006, 11:09 AM
Unfortunately, I don't think I'll make it in to catch the materials show this Saturday. I hope those that can make it enjoy the show.

As Tres mentioned, they do sell a CD of the images. Just send them an email about ordering information. They haven't put the images up on the web in the past. And I don't see anything on their site about it.

BruceF
10-03-2006, 11:43 AM
Did anyone make it to the show? I wasn't able to get into the city. So, I emailed them about the CD. Here's the ordering information.

Sorry you missed the show. There is a CD available. Cost is $15 (incl.
s&h). Kindly send a check to:

Pastel Society of America
15 Gramercy Park South
New York, NY 10003

Please include a note indicating that you wish to purchase a CD of the
34th Annual and your mailing address.

Thank you,
PSA Office

MarshaSavage
10-04-2006, 09:17 PM
Sorry, but I just now saw this thread. And . . . yes, I did get accepted into this show. It was my first time to do so!

My husband and I decided to go to New York to see the show -- and I had never been the New York City before. We attended the different events they had planned -- such as Firday night with speakers and critique (called a gallery tour), Saturday was the vendors market, and then on Sunday was the awards ceremony and then the banquet. We attended all the events. We also went early on Friday morning when they opened so we could see the show in relative quiet and study the paintings.

The gallery sitter was a wonderful lady and gave me a lot of information - other places to walk to and see art, and various information about the events scheduled. She was a treasure trove of information.

I did buy the CD and it is very nice -- though I will say their reproduction of some of the paintings leaves a little to be desired. Still, you can look to your heart's desire at each painting -- study it -- look again at something else, then come back to one you were looking at early. I think it was well worth the $15 -- even with a little to be desired on a few colors on some of them.

I met Sally Strand and talked to her, also Madelyn Woolwich and her husband. They were a hoot! Spent time with Urania Tarbet and Brenda Matteson -- both of whom I had met last time at the IAPS convention in Raleigh, NC. They were both so gracious and acted like they remembered me! Of course, also spent some time with Duane Wakeham -- he is absolutely wonderful -- I had also met him at the IAPS convention last time. (Also planning to take his Master Pastel session at the IAPS convention this year in Albuquerque).

The table we sat at for the banquet had a new participant and her husband from Alabama, an award winning young man and his girlfriend (or wife?) from New York area, and another artist from, I think, California and her friend (her husband could not come). We had a lot of fun. I met people from Canada, Germany, and all over the US. There was also an award winning artist from France -- actually the President of the Pastel Society of France, Sylvie Cabal -- whom I had spent a couple of days with in France this summer at a painting retreat -- she came to meet me and my friends at the hostess' home. Even attended a show and reception we had of our work we had painted while we were there in France! Fun!!!

Anyway, I know the show came down this past weekend, and I hope some of folks were able to make it by and see those wonderful pastels. It is quite an event to walk into a room and see 202 pastel paintings from some of the best in the world. Call me lucky to have been included on the walls with some of them!!!!! I felt lucky anyway. And, I was told by the founder, Flora Giffuni, to be proud of getting into the show -- there were over 2000 entries and they only chose 202 paintings. Well, I am proud, but also feel lucky!!!

About their web site -- I was told by several of the artists that the old school (read that as people not as computer savy) doesn't really think the web site is important! Boy, are they wrong! But, as new blood infuses itself into the organization, I think they will begin to realize fairly soon that it is important to many.