PDA

View Full Version : Working in Conte?

chifancier
03-22-2002, 11:59 AM
How many people here work in Conte (crayons or pencils)? I know it's not a highly popular medium, but it's one I love. *s*

llis
03-22-2002, 12:25 PM
I like conte. I don't often do it, but when I do, I really enjoy it. :) I'll see if I can did up some of my old stuff and perhaps do a couple of new ones. :)

sassybird
03-24-2002, 12:36 PM
I love working with conte. When I was going to a city college in Calif years ago the book store was having a big sale on art supplies at the end of the semester. They had boxes of conte, and I mean the little boxes with about 10 in each on sale for 50 cents. Not 50 cents for each conte, but for the whole box. I bought everyone they had, and still have about 5 boxes of them in all the different colors from white to sepia.

jaytee
03-26-2002, 08:01 PM
I'm intrigued.............. saw this posting and wondered how conte differed from pastels. Went over to pastels forum and saw lots of people there refering to conte :confused: :)

hlee
03-30-2002, 06:40 PM
good question, jaytee ... went over to google and did a little research meself. Pastels come in different types, most popular are oil and chalk. Conté are quite like chalk pastels, except they're clay-based, and are supposed to be thinner and harder, so they're also good for detail work.

Personally I don't use conté a lot, think the last time I used it was like, two years ago!? Or maybe it wasn't that long. :D The box's gathering dust on my shelf, but you know, maybe I'll give 'em a try ... conté + "mixed media" = fun, I hope. :)

Leaflin
04-01-2002, 10:57 AM
I love this forum :).
You learn something new all the time :)
I'm confused too.......but that is normal for me LOL

Wendy Booth
04-04-2002, 05:57 AM
I have used conte pencils and although they were bold and enjoyable to use, I found them too soft. I couldn't sharpen them without the leads constantly crumbling - even with a craft knife. I went through one pencil for one, not very large, picture. Then I discovered derwent sketching pencils (much harder), but only managed to find terracotta in a sketching set. I don't know if you can buy them on their own.

So are conte pencils a lot like pastels? I think they are bit more waxy aren't they?

sandge
04-04-2002, 08:16 AM
Conte sticks are waxy - but perhaps not as waxy as oil pastels! LOL

There may be confusion because Conte make soft pastels. I have used conte sticks but not recently. You can get some lovely rich darks with them. Perhaps you should ask in the Pastels Forum? :)

Amorphis
04-07-2002, 11:56 PM
At first, I didn't see any benefit to using them, but now I'm an all-out-sepia-conte-maniac! Perfect for sketching.

javismiles
07-25-2003, 03:02 AM
hi :) , here I post one of my conte portraits, I work in portraiture and I use only conte, this is conte sepia on pastel ingres paper 125 g/m2 , I love conte because for me it provides the right balance between softness and detail, its much softer than pencils, therefore it allows me to use painting techniques with it, and its a bit more consistent than charcoal or pure pastel which allows me to put detail when I need to, for all that its my favourite medium ;)

Its also what Da Vinci was using in his drawings and Da Vinci drawings are my favourites of all time, he was the greatest master ;)

greetings ;)
Javi ;)
;)

Jakeally
07-25-2003, 09:25 AM
What a beautiful portrait Javi:clap: :clap:

Gaylart
07-25-2003, 03:14 PM
That is what is so cool about WC! Now everyone is getting out their old Conte and getting all creative. How cool is that.

personally, I never heard of them. I do collage. I do color in coloring books though. Does that count?

Gaylart

Kalibabe
07-29-2003, 06:38 AM
Javi........... wow!!!!!!!!

The whole subject of pastels confuses the heck out of me.

I walk into art shops and they will have stacks of different pastels.
I am sure that the tequniques for each will be quite different...

I am not a good detail person but, do like to get complete coverage. I ahve a problem with unpainted bits (:rolleyes: )
(strange person that I am)...

We have oil pastels and um.... some that are called soft pastels, and chalk pastels in the house.

One question...
will they be easier to use if kept in the fridge???
will they be easier to get detail with if needed?
Or, should they always be kept at room temperature to retain their... um.... qualities they were designed to have??