PDA

View Full Version : Palette in Three Values

Bill Foehringer
09-11-2006, 11:54 PM
I mentioned a while back that I'd post my experiment in value sorting my field palette. Here it is. Three value categories are not really enough but the space is limited.
Most of my darks are Giraults.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Sep-2006/51770-Palette_in_three_values.jpg

These three trays fit in my Guerilla box. I also carry a set of mount vision landscape greens and Unison Oranges. The pastels to the left are in my studio tray.
BillF

Paula Ford
09-12-2006, 05:40 AM
Very nice Bill. I arrange by color, but am really thinking about changing that to value.

Paula

Tressa
09-12-2006, 08:20 AM
Loks good Bill. I had my Heilman box arranged by value, then got the complete set of Great Americans, and tried by color...I like the value arrangement much better, so have to redo the studio setup..I found my self fumbling across the trays, as I would find a color but it would be the WRONG value...
Tres

Bill Foehringer
09-12-2006, 01:31 PM
I suppose with enough practice the eye will discern values whe sorted only by color. For now I am trying to learn to see the values as I paint and sorting by value does help me. BillF

Deborah Secor
09-12-2006, 02:47 PM
Wow, Bill--you take a lot more out on location than I do! I always find a value arrangement to be the best method, however, no matter how few I take.

Do you like that Guerilla box? I saw one in use yeterday and thought the recessed area for the painting would restrict movement an awful lot. That one was 9x12" and it seemed like you had to reach into the surrounding box to reach the paper... any thoughts on that for me? Also, does the pastel fall on your sticks a lot or not? Thanks for any input.

Deborah

Bill Foehringer
09-12-2006, 03:45 PM
I use a homemade bracket to hold the work up off the bottom edge of the lid, about 6 inches. The bracket has a lip on it that catches most of the dust. But yes some does drop down. I blow it off, lol. I suppose I could make a folding dust catcher.
The best thing is to go out on a windy day! LOL!
The Guerilla Company makes an insert that can be used to hold smaller works up in the air but then it takes up space in the lid. My gizmo folds up and fits in my tripod case.
I usually place the medium values directly under the work, the lights closer to me and the darks on the partially pulled out palette to my left. There would be room for one more tray of pastels but I use that space for tape, clips, eraser, viewfinder, etc. Also, even with the lid full of panels there is still room on top of the palette for the mount vision landscape grns. and unison orange sets in their boxes. It's a load to pack in especially with the tripod slung over one shoulder.
I have used it for oils a couple of times. With my gizmo the work is up in the air for free brush motion but one does have to reach down into the box a little to mix paint on the palette. I'll snap a shot of the easel set-up. I do believe it shows in the WIP of "Old Maple" thread. See Plein air-"Share your references w/paintings to foster understanding" thread (page 6) started by Larry Seiler Aug 22, 06 BillF

Tressa
09-12-2006, 05:11 PM
Dee, I have several pieces of gator board in my box, and they fit the slot so as not to have any space to move back; I attach my paper to each piece prior to going out, so am ready to paint, and take along glassine to cover each piece, and I use the bungie clips to fit a larger size board on the 9X12 box. It works great..I made a dust catcher out of a piece of matboard, one for 9x12, and one for larger, and it prevents the dust from falling into my box..
Tres

JamieWG
09-12-2006, 07:42 PM
Hi Bill! I sort by color and value, so for each color group, the lights of that group are closest to me and the darks farthest away. I think if I had to choose between color and value, I'd definitely choose value!

Jamie