PDA

View Full Version : switching over questions

catjoe
03-22-2002, 09:37 AM
Hi, I am a watercolorist who is thinking of switching to acrylics due to the fact that I would like to have my paintings resemble oil paintings a bit more but still hold the glow of watercolors. I also like the idea of not having to use glass to protect the painting. I paint florals and would like to have any advice on what I should buy, books that will help etc. Also, am I on the right track switching or should I stick to watercolors.

kitaye
03-22-2002, 11:44 PM
My primary medium has always been Acrylic but I spent the last few months playing with watercolours. Now I am finding it hard to go back to Acrylics because once the paint is on the paper that is it, no more movement. I got used to being able to wet a dry watercolur and move the pain around.

VictoriaS
04-08-2002, 08:36 PM
Hi, Catjoe. Watercolors and acrylics are two very different things. If you want to use acrylics "like watercolors" (watered down, painted thinly on paper), I think you will still need to frame with glass. Not sure, but I would. If you're going to use them more thickly, like oils, then you don't need the glass.

Golden paints are good. Bristle or synthetic brushes made for acrylics. Canvas (or paper if you prefer). Mediums help make the paint more spreadable, or add texture, etc., but you don't absolutely need them. A Sta-Wet palette.

I have a few books on acrylics, but I can't recommend one. (Mostly because I don't have them with me.) Aside from the artwork in the books, they are like watercolor books in that one seems to have pretty much the same basic information as the other.

Have you started yet? Let's see.

Victoria

catjoe
04-09-2002, 10:57 AM
Hi Victoria, This is my first attempt at a rose using acrylics. So far, I don't mind the fact that the acrylics dry fast, I rather like it, and I like to fiddle around and never really achieved that spontaneous look many watercolorists capture. My watercolors were very controlled and I think the acrylics will be better for me. But...I have a lot of practicing to do.