PDA

View Full Version : Prices on website

louise279
03-22-2002, 06:01 AM
Hi,
I am currently writing my new website, i sell on ebay and want to sell from my website too. Should i put prices on my works on my website or just put 'for sale' and have people email me to ask the price?

Which works best?

Thank you for any help

Louise

timelady
03-22-2002, 06:09 AM
I've tried it both ways, with no success. I've had prices, no prices, PayPal instant purchase buttons. Hopefully someone with better sales on their own site will reply. :) I see no problem with putting prices personally as they'll have to contact you anyway to purchase and when buying I like to know prices without having to ask.

My site needs a revamp too. :(

Tina.

hairballsdotcom
03-22-2002, 11:09 AM
I think you just have to decide the real purpose of your site. Is it to be an online portfolio for people to see who you are and what you do and then go to ebay and buy? or is it to sell your art?
If its for information only you can display 'sold' and new art and forget the prices. If the purpose is to sell, I would definately inclued prices, although you might have a few listed as 'negotiable' if your unsure of their value.

Integrating a pay system like PayPal is a good idea -- the shopping cart works great. Even though I also have a secure order form for credit cards, most of the purchases (averaging 3 a month) from my site are paid for through the PayPal shopping cart.

Don't expect a lot of sales from your site. Even for a few sales it takes a LOT of promoting.

jackddavis
03-22-2002, 11:31 AM
I use prices on my web site with some success. When I put something from the web site on eBay, I remove the price of that piece from my web site and replace it with a link to the eBay item. Then reverse the process after auction is over (if it didn't sell).

I'm starting a new thread with some interesting stuff about my web site and eBay this morning.

centyr
03-22-2002, 12:52 PM
If the purpose of your site were to sell i would defiantly put prices on your work and integrate a shopping cart. When selling you want to minimize the obstacles to make a sell. By not listing prices you might turn people off by giving them the impression that your work is out of their price range. You might also miss an impulse buy, since they would have to take the time to contact you, then you get back with a price and then they have to decide if they wanted to spend that much on the painting. By that time they could have gone and fond some one else's work and bought it.

Just my opinion though. Since i haven?t sold any thing from my site i could be crazy.

centry

dk_art
03-22-2002, 01:20 PM
I find if you are selling something ... include the price (IMHO). Personally it annoys me to not see a price and I assume it's probably a really high price and that's why it's not shown.

kjsspot
03-22-2002, 01:22 PM
I'm not sure where I stand on prices. As a customer I hate it with no prices. I'll walk away. However, according to sales techniques, "they" say it's better to not have the prices because that way people will initiate the first contact. I don't know that I fully understand or agree with that. I do know people that have a compromise and instead of posting prices, they post what their price range is.

louise279
03-23-2002, 08:57 AM
Thanks for all your replies, i think i will put the prices up and see how it goes, i do hope to sell from my site as well as ebay, - need to get on with some promotion!
Thanks once again
Louise

Sumafra
03-24-2002, 12:10 AM
As a shopper, I think it would be better to have prices showing. this way, people will know right away if they're interested or not. (having said this, I don't have any prices on my site, maybe I should rethink this...LOL).