PDA

View Full Version : So what kind of flowers ARE these???

Weezy
09-10-2006, 12:44 AM
Now I know you all are gonna laugh at this one,,,,but bear with me here. This is the first casein I have done in about 30 years. It was done in a 1/2 day workshop run by the Jack Richieson Company at San Clemente Art Supply store. I went up and took it and the exercises - there were three in one afternoon! So this was real quicky. It's a painting of another painting, and you can't tell what kind of flowers they are in either one....sorry. No real model or picture was available. The total exercise was to try the paint and get the feel of it.....and it was fun! It's small, only about 8x10, and on art board, so it wanted to slide around a lot while it was wet. But it was fun and no fumes compared to oils. So I guess its safe to call this one fantasy blooms or some such thing. I know I liked it and that I will use them again.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Sep-2006/46700-Fblooms.jpg

andymathis
09-10-2006, 10:33 AM
Its lovely- whatever kind of flower they are.

tentativeartist
09-11-2006, 01:20 PM
I really like it, even if nobody knows what kind of flowers they are. :D Every time I come into this forum, I feel the tug to try casein and gouache! Nice job. Looking forward to seeing more from you!

idcrisis55
09-12-2006, 05:07 PM
Weezy, your painting looks very good to me. I wish your photo was larger for a better view. What fun that must have been to go to that workshop. Did you glaze, or put the paint down and not touch it again? Can you tell, I'm fishing for information :D.

Ann

Weezy
09-12-2006, 06:55 PM
This is all alla prima, wet into wet, with no glazing. I really treated this like an oil painting that would have been done in one sitting. Wet and gooshy. It mixed like a dream, and I have been waiting to let it set and get hard, cause I want to flood it with an ink wash to give texture to the strokes. I will be taking a chance with losing it if its not set or cured hard enough, but what the heck....it was a 3/4 hour exercise. I won't lose much if it tanks. And I could gain an 'old' quality to it.....and cover some flubs too. Nothing like getting two birds with one stone. Besides, no guts, no glory, right?

idcrisis55
09-12-2006, 07:09 PM
I think it looks great and when you apply the wash, I hope you post an update. You definitely have a command of this medium and look forward to seeing more of what you paint. Thanks for the info too. I'll have to try the wet in wet approach.

Ann

Weezy
09-13-2006, 10:28 AM
I have a command???? Ann, I was so laughing at this comment, I had to keep it down (I checked in from work). Too funny! I so do not know what the heck I am doing with this stuff. I read each post here hoping to get some insight into the chemical reaction and handleability(sp?) of this stuff. But I thank you for the sweetness of your encouragement. Its a total experiment at this point.

I have another piece in casein that I am working on and its approach is far different from this one. It feels more like a watercolor gone wild. And its a landscape.....more to follow later, if I don't flub that up.

idcrisis55
09-13-2006, 10:42 AM
Well, your not knowing doesn't show in your painting. What I see when I look at it are confident strokes, good color harmony and tonal balance.

Ha, ha, I do the same thing, browse the Forum for insight into the different mediums. I am buying Weldbond glue to use as a barrier layer, today (if I can find it in this small town.)

Looking forward to seeing your landscape.

Ann

JanB
09-14-2006, 06:50 AM
Weezy my goodness this is lovely!!! As to the type of flowers....they're any kind you want them to be :lol: I'd like to hear more about the "ink wash" :)