PDA

View Full Version : Pastel Pencils

ramsayregan
09-09-2006, 07:43 PM
Hello WC members. I am a new member and am looking forward to becoming active in the WC community. I am wondering what pastel pencil manufacturers any of you pastel artists prefer to use, on those occasions when pastel pencils are called for, and why you prefer a particular brand. I am especially interested in your opinions as to the hardness and softness of various brands, and the ease of sharpening. This is probably a topic that has been discussed in previous threads, but since I am learning my way in WC, maybe this is a topic that you won't mind readressing. Thanks for any input you can offer.

Tressa
09-09-2006, 10:04 PM
Hi and welcome!! No problem. Don't use them too often, but I have Conte, and Carbothello, a lot of people like Faber Castel Pitt..
If you go to www.dakotapastels.com (http://www.dakotapastels.com) they have a chart with hardness ratio for both pencils and pastel sticks:wave:
Tres

Deborah Secor
09-09-2006, 10:41 PM
I like the Cretacolor pencils best, although Pastel pencils aren't something I use very often. They sharpen pretty well, and aren't too crispy on the paper (more like charcoal than pencils.) I use mostly Wallis paper. Remember the paper you choose can make a huge difference in the pencils you like.

I used to use the Carb-Othello but they crack too often in the sharpener. I absolutely hate it when I'm detailing the feathers on a hummingbird and the ONE color I need cracks lengthwise down the shaft as I sharpen it. More than once I've ended up holding the colored core in my fingers and trying to finish a wing. NOT good. :mad:

Deborah

prettytulips
09-10-2006, 12:45 AM
Stabillo are the ones I have and I like those alot. I also have Derwent but they don't fit into your standard $25 electric pencil sharpener. I'm gonna have to buy the Creative Mark sharpener. I've never had pencils crack on me though, so I've been lucky.

I find myself using the pencils to blend often. I apply the actual pastel stick first like Mt. Vision, Girault or Rembrandt then I take a pencil that is close to the color (Only if it's close) and use it to blend the edges. I learned that trick from Diana Ponting with both black and white, so now I use the pencils in general alot more. I'll be posting a picture I am doing of a cowboy in the next day or so and the shirt is done primarily by using pencils over the pastel to blend because the shirt has stripes. So, that's how I use them now.

nana b
09-10-2006, 02:59 PM
What is the Ceative Mark pencil sharpener and where do you find it?
nana b:wave:

Naicidrac
09-13-2006, 01:49 PM
I use Faber Castell Pitt. They are the softest and very easy to sharpen. Pastel pencils are harder to begin with just so they can be put in the wood. I found that the harder pencils just would scratch off the pigmetn that I already applied, but the Faber Castells were perfect and they can be applied right over my soft pastels.

dbjs
09-13-2006, 02:52 PM
I use Derwent pastel pencils on velour paper all the time. It's my favorit materials. Derwent pastels are a bit hard, but when you get use to them you can do a lot with them. I don't like using pastels on normal pastel paper it just dosn't work for me.
oh, the sharpening bit: I don't use a pencil sharperner, I use a Stanley knife which enables me to sharpen the pencils to the degree with which I can work in small details.

Best regards
Dorte