PDA

View Full Version : help needed

maseoud
09-09-2006, 02:57 AM
hi folks,
hoping everybody would be doing fine. i have some questions regarding admission in art school. in MFA programme. my first question is what is statement of intent? what should we write in it? second if i want to apply in painting programe what kind of portfolio is required? should i submit drawings or paintings only. i am very much interesred in UCLA or Columbia. i would appreciate any help:) thanks.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Sep-2006/57422-Tonga.jpg

saralindsey
09-20-2006, 02:02 AM
i'm assuming they are asking about what your intentions for your career, your artwork. what you are trying to do, i've heard of doing them for art shows, i had to do one for my senior show. have you called the office and asked exactly what they want?

boundstaffpress
09-21-2006, 04:58 PM
You should investigate the information available on the schools websites. Then model your portfolio after their requests. Each school will have different specifics they are looking for. The rep at each school should be able to fill you in if you contact them directly.

That being said, Usually most programs ask that you include a majority of slides in the area you are going to empahsize. Out of 20 slides they may as for 14 to be painting. The remaining slides may also need to fit into specific catagories; drawing, drawing from life, figure, etc.

The Statement of Purpose is just an explaination of who you are, where you are coming from, and in what direction you intend to work during your degree program and after. Mine included a brief statement about my current art teaching job and future plans as professor, my history and present work as a printmaker and artist, as well as my plans during and after my degree program. Dont forget to tell them what particularly about their program you are interested in. Why are you choosing THIS school.