PDA

View Full Version : better gummed tape?

Heidi7Sue
09-09-2006, 01:27 AM
I wonder if anyone can recommend a better kind of gummed tape than what I have. I'm using 2" QuikStik from Gould Packaging. The trouble is that as my stretched paper dries, it comes unstuck from the tape. I have to gesso the paper before sticking the tape to it, and even then it only sticks 50-75% of the time. It is a little old, but it didn't work well when it was new, either. And sometimes I would like to work on unprimed paper! Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Heidi

dreamz
09-09-2006, 08:23 AM
other than blue painters tape all that comes to mind is tape from a drafter supply store

Lady Carol
09-09-2006, 08:57 AM
I recommend that you buy paper that doesn't need stretching :eek: then you don't need the tape.

How about asking this over in watercolours. They stretch their paper more than acrylic artists do and may be able to give you a better brand.

3chaway9
09-09-2006, 11:24 AM
I recommend that you buy paper that doesn't need stretching then you don't need the tape.
....when i have to tape .....i tape the edges as normal then tape a short diagonel at the four corners and then tape the sides once more...hope this helps...good luck...:thumbsup:

timelady
09-09-2006, 12:18 PM
I don't know if it helps but most watercolourists over here that I know use a sort of brown packing tape that is paper and you have to wet to stick. It's about 2" wide. I bought mine at the art store but wouldn't be sure where to get it in the US... ah ha! Here it is, Blick's gummed packing tape: http://www.dickblick.com/categories/packagingtape/

Tina.

jeff m
09-09-2006, 12:51 PM
This could be a paper prep problem, your tape could be fine

Look for info re prep of paper (pre wetting and drying)

I understand "Gorilla tape" sticks quite well:) (no, not suitable for artwork:eek: )

Einion
09-09-2006, 01:50 PM
Hi Heidi, I know just how frustrating this is! You are dampening it properly before use and wetting the paper thoroughly yes? I don't know that brand specifically but it could be that you just got a lemon, the type I used for years would occasionally be the same and a gummed tape that just doesn't have enough adhesive on it is a constrant source of irritation.

The Watercolour forum would be the place to ask I'm sure if nobody can help here with a specific brand recommendation.

Einion

dbclemons
09-09-2006, 03:19 PM
Most gummed tape is crap. If you just cut off the glued part of the paper when you're done, you don't need to be concerned about using only archival tape; you could even use duct tape in that case. The negative side of that is the paper size becomes slightly smaller.

MDurante
09-09-2006, 11:09 PM
When I used to use paper, I'd soak it then lay it atop a piece of Gatorbord, and along the edges every few inches I'd staple through the paper into the board; then I'd put tape over the edges. This seemed to provide plenty of strength...

- Matt D.

Ian Bruce
09-10-2006, 12:48 AM
I'd go with the stapling method, to. I use 1/4 inch staples and when the paper shrinks it becomes drum tight. Works well even when you use huge amounts of water, as in the totally-soaked-paper wet-in-wet technique used by some watercolorists. Taping over the staples makes a nice border when removed too. Painters masking tape (by 3M) from the hardware store has come such a long way in recent years that drafting or artists tape is unnecessary in this application

Einion
09-10-2006, 02:32 AM
Most gummed tape is crap. If you just cut off the glued part of the paper when you're done, you don't need to be concerned about using only archival tape...
Isn't the tape routinely cut off anyway?

...you could even use duct tape...
Does duct tape stick to wet paper?

Thanks for mentioning the stapling method Matt and Ian, I'd completely spaced on that and it has a lot to recommend it. Heidi, there's a very good version of this described on the Handprint site if you want to give it a shot instead of using tape.

Einion

dbclemons
09-10-2006, 10:41 AM
Some recommend gummed tape because it's easy to remove. Too easy, unfortunately.

You couldn't stick duct tape on paper that's already wet, but I know watercolorists who tape dry paper to a board, apply water, and it dries taught and holds well. I've used unsized paper, taped it, and sized with gelatin - it goes tight as a drum. Mostly, I just use heavy weight paper and don't bother stretching. I've made paper even thicker by gluing a few sheets together.

Heidi7Sue
09-13-2006, 12:33 AM
Duct tape, you say? I didn't suppose that it would stick to wet paper, but I will have to try it.

Yes, I am properly (I think) wetting both the paper and the tape before applying it. A possible explanation did occur to me since posting my question: I am using the thinnest paper I can use without having it tear, because I have very little money to spend on art supplies, and I'm trying to get myself to relax about "wasting" stuff and just paint so I can learn, which is also why I'm not up for thicker paper that doesn't have to be stretched. Thin paper seems to expand more than thicker paper, so when it dries, it pulls away from the tape. So I'm going to try soaking this thinner paper for less time (maybe 15 seconds) and see if that works better.

I tried stapling, and the boards I'm using don't accept the staples (masonite and plywood). So what's Gatorboard? Is it horribly expensive?

dbclemons said:
"I've used unsized paper, taped it, and sized with gelatin - it goes tight as a drum."

Would this be unflavored and uncolored Jello from the grocery store, or is there special artists' gelatin?

Thank you everyone for your suggestions!
Heidi

MDurante
09-13-2006, 12:05 PM
I tried stapling, and the boards I'm using don't accept the staples (masonite and plywood). So what's Gatorboard? Is it horribly expensive?

http://www.dickblick.com/zz132/01/

It's a kind of foamboard that is more durable and strong. I wouldn't call it cheap, but you should be able to use the same piece over-and-over (though over time perhaps it will disintegrate with all the staple holes?). I don't remember having a problem with water-warping, but this was awhile ago and I don't use papers or a watercolor technique anymore...

Perhaps someone else has experience with this or can suggest other materials that can be stapled into...

- Matthew Durante

dbclemons
09-13-2006, 12:11 PM
Duct tape, you say? ...

Well, honestly I'm not going to endorse tape of any sort, but if you're determined to use it, Duct tape can hold better than gummed; although, messy to clean. If you use it, apply it to dry paper first, and then wet it. Thicker paper and/or staples is a better option. Metal staples can rust, so don't leave them in.

...So what's Gatorboard? Is it horribly expensive?...

Not horribly, I think it's cheaper than wood. It's a brand of polystyrene foamcore, and comes in different thicknesses. Staples would go in easier. Ask for it at a good art store. (Edit: oh, and wood can absorb water, so it needs to be treated with a varnish if used.)

...Would this be unflavored and uncolored Jello from the grocery store, or is there special artists' gelatin?...

Food gelatin would work, but technical gelatin is better, more refining. Places that sell pigments usually carry that kind.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gelatin

Heidi7Sue
09-13-2006, 04:52 PM
Thanks! New things to try...