PDA

View Full Version : Generic Holy Mountain (casein & knife)

Richard Saylor
09-08-2006, 07:29 PM
This is a 6"x9" casein on paper, done mostly with a small painting knife. It is a (purely imaginary) big, scary mountain. The title comes from the idea of an adventurous mystic scrambling to the top of some craggy peak on a vision quest.

Richard

idcrisis55
09-09-2006, 07:51 AM
Richard, I do like how you paint! One can easily imagine the roughness of the mountainside.

Ann

dbclemons
09-09-2006, 10:07 AM
This reminds me of textures in Escher paintings. I might suggest not having such a strong contrast on the mountain. The sharpness makes it seem close up, and the edges are rather hard too.

Richard Saylor
09-09-2006, 04:52 PM
This reminds me of textures in Escher paintings. I might suggest not having such a strong contrast on the mountain. The sharpness makes it seem close up, and the edges are rather hard too.Thanks. Great suggestion, but I'm only a representationalist, not a realist painter. Check out my sig. :)

Richard

dbclemons
09-09-2006, 06:21 PM
Well, that must make it easier for you I guess.

Gaaa, I thought Ernst and wrote Escher. Where's my brain?

Richard Saylor
09-09-2006, 07:49 PM
Well, that must make it easier for you I guess.

Gaaa, I thought Ernst and wrote Escher. Where's my brain?I like both Ernst and Escher.

A lot of the conventions of realism are symbolic. They are based not on reality but on what creates the illusion of reality. They are therefore tricks, but that does not make them bad. I sometimes impose the conventions of realism, but not consistently. I'm probably more of an illustrator than a genuine artiste.

Richard

JanB
09-14-2006, 06:58 AM
Wow I never even considered using casein with a painting knife....yet another possibility to try. Very emotional painting here....gives you cause tro pause an think for a moment I like that!

JamieWG
09-14-2006, 08:27 AM
Richard, the shadows in that mountain really make the painting! I too never thought to use a knife with casein. I guess if you do that on paper, you have to mount it on a hard surface so it won't crack???

Jamie

Richard Saylor
09-14-2006, 12:31 PM
Richard, the shadows in that mountain really make the painting! I too never thought to use a knife with casein. I guess if you do that on paper, you have to mount it on a hard surface so it won't crack???

JamieA rigid support is always best, especially if the paint is thick. Actually I used a fairly thin application of paint in this one. It's possible to apply a thinner layer of paint with a knife than with a brush. Probably most oil painters use the knife for impasto, but it can be used in other ways too.

Richard