PDA

View Full Version : Blending Technique - Gouache & Casein

dbclemons
09-08-2006, 02:43 PM
Blending Gouache Gradients

This demonstration is to show the technique I use to blend a gradient of different colors of gouache together. For this project Iíve chosen three premixed tube colors of Titanium White, Cadmium Yellow Lemon, and Burnt Sienna (DaVinci brand.) The painted surface is on illustration board @ 5x4 inches square. Iíve used this same technique for casein and acrylics, even oils. Each of these paints has their own characteristics, but the blending principle is the same.

Brushes: medium sized sable #8, 1Ē blending brush and/or fan brush
Sponge
Small mixing dish or palette
2 water cups: dirty water for cleaning brushes, clean water for thinning paint and blending

Colors:
In this example Iím using colors straight from the tube to speed up the demo. If you want to mix two colors like white and black, you should make your own gray from them, rather than blending from white to black on your surface. The idea is to mix up the values ahead of time on your palette (dish in my case) to facilitate the blending. You shouldnít need to make more than a couple values in either direction. This procedure requires a good bit of paint, so donít be stingy, baby ;).

Prepare the surface:
Slightly dampen the paper surface with a sponge. It gives you a more receptive surface to work on. If youíre going to be working on a previously painted surface, be careful with the water, or you may want to use a brush, but donít get the surface too wet. I also like to slightly dampen the brush before start to help it flow better, but, again, damp not wet.

Step 1:
Lay down the middle value first as your target range. In this case thatís the yellow. Place an even band of paint across the area in a consistent volume. Clean your brush completely (tip: if you have more than one brush, that can be convenient here.) Lay down a band of brown, and another of white, cleaning your brush between each application.

Step 2:
Mix up the in-between values of paint; yellow to white, brown to yellow. Apply bands of paint for those values on the paper. If youíve got a large area to blend you may want to mix up an extra value range, for instance, white-white-yellow and yellow-yellow-brown.

Step 3:
With a clean brush, start blending. I start with short ďxĒ marks along the bands, constantly wiping the brush as I go from one band to the next, and sometimes adding more paint. The last step here is to brush it in smoothly with a large blending brush or fan brush. Sometimes I prefer a more ďbrushyĒ texture, and donít smooth it out. This final brushing also removes a bit of paint, which can cause a problem with irregular volumes of paint. Be prepared to go back over certain bands with more paint to blend them more evenly. This will require more pre-mixing.

Tips:
I canít emphasize enough the importance of a clean brush as youíre moving from one value range to another. If youíre using a blending brush, when brushing perpendicular to the values (light-to-dark,) clean it after you make each stroke. When brushing parallel, clean before you move to a new value range.

Some colors cover better than others (transparency/opacity) and this affects how they blend. More transparent colors can require more volume of paint, but less so if painting over thin washes of more opaque colors. Mixing the value range ahead of time makes blending them easier.

Go easy on the water use. Donít blend the paint in water, blend paint in paint. The only water used in this demo was the tiny bit left on the cleaned brush and the slightly dampened paper. If the paint dries on my palette, I wet it by adding paint, not water.

pinkrybns
09-08-2006, 03:31 PM
Hello David,
Thank you so much for this thread. Enormous help :)

I'm going to mark the thread as useful info with the thumbs up icon.

~ Judy

dbclemons
09-08-2006, 05:41 PM
You're welcome, Judy. Glad you found it helpful. ;)

Sonia
09-08-2006, 06:15 PM
Thanks - look forward to more of these helpful hints. (Hint, hint)

Meisie
09-21-2006, 01:13 PM
Very interesting! Thank you David!

Meisie

Weezy
09-21-2006, 01:42 PM
Thanks David.....have you ever noticed how giving good artists are?:thumbsup:

dbclemons
09-21-2006, 05:33 PM
Well, thanks y'all! :) Pay it forward, as they say.

YKA
06-09-2008, 06:18 AM
Wooh! A great gradient, David.
Very impressive bit of work.

Yves

Lynne Vokatis
08-13-2009, 10:04 AM
hi david. Thank you for the thread! I am going to be starting casein very soon(just waiting for my paints). ill be switching from pastels,so it should be a challenge. thank goodness i found all these great threads!ive been on soft pastels for awhile now,,,it will be nice to meet everyone here!:wave:lynne

russell44
07-03-2010, 11:44 AM
Try Ron Spears website. Type in ronspears.com then hit his blog. Some intriguing casein paintings also, a real good analysis of value charts.

lovewatercolour
06-18-2013, 01:01 AM
Thanks for the step by step review of how to blend gouache paints.