PDA

View Full Version : So do we have some new folks in here?

Axl
09-08-2006, 02:37 PM
..who are just getting back into school now?

Is this your first time, or are you coming back for another year.

What are you studying?

Say hi! Let's make this place a little more friendly :D

peter baker
09-08-2006, 03:04 PM
I havn't studied art since school back in 1977, but have just started at college, doing a dipolma in Art & Design.

It's a bit of a change for me.... :lol:

A big hello at everyone starting or continuing there studies.

Nasubionna
09-08-2006, 08:42 PM
Hello! Brand new to the forum, and brand new to college... after working in unrelated fields for 7 years after graduation, I've finally decided that I should persue my love of art in school. I think I'll just go for an undergraduate degree at a reasonably affordable school first, then maybe graduate school at a specific art college next....????
Anywho... any thoughts on colleges with nice art programs would be appreciated!
Happy to be here on Wetcanvas!

LuLu_
09-08-2006, 11:40 PM
Hello, Ive already posted info similiar to this on the roll call thread so if anyones curious about me its all in that post,but Anyways HI! its nice to see a forum about this subject. Im actually starting a myspace group for anyone whos interested.

Koi
09-09-2006, 10:36 AM
I'm also starting college (in my 30's) and studying art. Anyone not in an Arts college? My college only has a few fine art classes and I admit that I sometimes feel like the only art student on campus. But then, I feel like I stick out anyway due to my age.

Axl
09-09-2006, 12:41 PM
Hello! Great to see some replies :D

Is everyone here returning to school later in life? I love seeing so many "non-traditional" students around this forum. I'm sure it must seam rather encouraging to folks who are contemplating returning to studies after long breaks to here from so many other people who are going through the same thing too. How has the change been going? What made you decide to go back to school, and now at this point in your life? Would you have any advice to give to other people who are contemplating coming back to school?

When I was in school, one of my favourite things about it was the diversity in students. We had quite a few mature students, and it was great having their experiences. I'm actually not in school right now; I had decided about a year and a half ago that I needed to get more life experiences under my belt, so I packed up and moved across the country. I'm glad I made the move, and it has been really good for me I think (it has its moments when I think I should just go home :rollseyes: but for the most-part no regrets. I'm looking forward to getting back to my studies at some point in a few years, hopefully.

We have some good information around this forum. Feel free to dig up old posts and add to them. Or start new posts. Also, feel free to share with us some of your projects, and your thoughts on them. It would be great to discuss some problems in here, and share our thoughts. We have a policy here that discourages constand show-and-tell-pat-me-on-the-back posts, but it would be great to hear about some of your assignments, and how you went about completing them.

Glad you guys decided to say hi!

Aleatoria
09-09-2006, 03:21 PM
Hello! This is my first post on this site :wave: Actually I have been around watching and reading for a while but never made an account. I am starting college in a couple weeks (for the first time, I'm 18) to get into Graphic Design. I will also be taking drawing and painting classes though. (2 of my 4 classes right now are Drawing I and Life Drawing I).

~Megan

Koi
09-09-2006, 08:04 PM
Well, I can't speak for people coming back to college, because I'm going to college for the first time. Family obligations sort of got in the way for too many years.

But it really just boils down to what's going to make you happy. And art makes me happy, so I'm doing my best to go for it.

How about some advice for me? What's the best way to carry around your art supplies? I've got a rolling backpack, but that's not going to cut it next semester when I can (hopefully) take either painting or drawing. I don't have a car right now, so I need something I can carry around all day with me that won't weigh a ton. Before I got the rolling pack, I was starting to feel like I was taking Modern Sherpa. :lol:

quirky
09-10-2006, 05:43 AM
Hi,
I am a very mature age art student. I was in software development for many years, but with the downturn in that industry in 2001, there was no work around and eventually I went to art school (which I had always wanted to do). I finished a three-year full-time Advanced Diploma of Fine Art at TAFE(technical & further education.) That was FABULOUS. Then I decided to go to university and I'm now doing final year in my major. I will still be there first semester next year, because I have 2 theory classes and an elective still to do. I am not finding university anything like as good as TAFE, and it drives me nuts sometimes, but I've got used to it & just hanging in there, waiting to get a degree and not expecting to be taught anything. My major is 'painting and drawing' but I am actually doing digital imaging for that project, as I've been encouraged to do so.

Does anyone else's art school drive them nuts?

kimeart
09-10-2006, 10:47 AM
Hello Everyone,

I am just entering my third year as an online student at the Academy of Art University enrolled in the Bachelor of Art – Painting and Drawing.
Very excited and working hard already.

Axl
09-10-2006, 01:55 PM
Ofcorse I type up a big reply and my browser crashes on me. :)

Megan, how are you enjoying your life drawing classes? Or is it still too soon to tell? One big possitive for me was being introduced to live drawing through school, and I'm happy to say that even tho Im not in school, I still attend instructorless drawing sessions regularly and I really love it.

Lugging around lots of stuff all the time can be a big pain at school. I can totally relate. There was a point during my last semester that I'd have a history lecture in the morning, followed by 4 hours of a drawing studio, followed by 3 hours of animation, which basically meant me carying around everything I owned, including my laptop and kitchen sink (well felt like it) all day that entire day. Exhausting yeah!
You might want to check with your school and see if they offer any storage solutions. There were lockers available for students at my school (ok i donno how I lucked out of that one....). Painting students actually would have their own studio space (I believe sculpture and other programs also had some sort of storage options for their students) so thjey could leave their stuff there. Also, many teachers offered keys to the classrooms, so this ment we could leave some of our stuff there for class, and collect it at the end of the day or in the morning. Ofcorse, since other ppl have a key its not 100% safe, however, saves carying around lots of paper and tools that can get heavy all the time.

I cant stress the value of a good backpack (preferably a hiking backpack) with lots of pockets and things, and bungie cords and stuff to make the best use of the space. Also, having one of those extendable paper tubes was great, since I could attatch it to the backpack and forget about it, yet it was always there. Many proffs also stressed the importance of keeping drawing papers flat, so having one of those portfolio bags with a really good strap also was key for me (not all of them came with straps, I noticed, so impotant to get one!)

There was more I had typed before but I cant remember what it was. :confused:

Koi
09-11-2006, 07:03 PM
I'd been thinking about getting a portfolio bag. But my college is very small, and while they do have a few lockers, I believe they are for the acting & choir students. Not to mention the fact they are only big enough to store a pair of sneakers.

Can we complain about our school in this thread? I understand what Quirky is going through. It feels like I am learning more just looking through the art books in the library right now. The art section is off in it's own wing and it's almost always empty. So I just pull up a chair and have a go. :heart:

zheni
09-12-2006, 10:28 PM
Hi! I am 44 and returned to school two years ago part time. I have a BA in History, since I didn't think art was a viable option to make a living. I wanted to get out of my basement and into the world with my painting, now that my kids are bigger. It has been a great experience, allowing me access to print making and sculpture and graphic design, which I could not do on my own. Fortunately, the university takes a classical approach, so I've learned a lot. I am considering a low residency masters program, such as Vermont College/Union Institute and University or Lesley University/Boston Art Institute. Does anyone have input? Also, I was interested in the reply by the third year online art student at Academy of Art University. Has that really worked out? I am curious and intrigued. I looked into their masters program.

It is a bit awkward being older in the classroom. My teachers are my age so we have some laughs. The kids are great and always talk to me and we have a good time, but I have to admit I feel a little self-conscious. Still, I was probably just as self-conscious when I was 19!

Zheni

Axl
09-13-2006, 01:24 PM
Sure we can discuss anything we'd like about art schools in this forum. Just as long as it is related to art schools lol. This forum is here so students can talk to other students or folks who have been through art school and find advice and help about school-related things. Complaints about schools are as valad as any other topic here. Additionally, other problems that arise for students can also be brought up, like how you deal with your classes/family time/work schedual, issues about student housing, or issues about supplies and things. Just provided it has relevence to the art student experience.

When I went to school I was 19, and I still felt self concious then. Now contemplating going back to school again, I still think I would feel self conscious. Actually, trying to get into the art world anyway, I still feel very self-conscious about myself and my work. I wonder if perhaps this is something that doesnt go away as long as you are an artist? lol

kimeart
09-13-2006, 06:09 PM
Hi Zheni

I very much like the online environment at AAU. The workload is heavy so I don’t get to visit here often. I am 49 years old and also very self-conscious. I have learned so much from the younger students, many are very willing to try and very passionate about the subject at hand. A few of them feel intimated with me and have difficulty communicating for the same reason I suppose: self-conscious and not wanting to look immature or stupid. This online environment has given many mature students a terrific platform in which to pursue continuing education. I have had many online classes at AAU with students much older than I am.
Best to you.

zheni
09-14-2006, 12:34 AM
Thank you for the thoughtful reply, Kim!

I will definitely look more closely at AAU. How much time do you spend doing school work? Are the classes worth all the time and tuition? I guess I would have to upgrade my computer skills to 21st century levels, a good thing. Sounds like it has been a great experience, good for you!

Axl, I am hoping that school can be a transition to the art world, as I would only bumble along otherwise. Portfolio building, putting on shows, marketing, and other professional skills are important. School helps you make contacts, and shy artists need help getting out there! Maybe there are other ways?

The problem is taking the time to go to school and do the assignments, when life is full already. But it can be a great stimulation. I commute over an hour and my drive is always fast because my head is overflowing with ideas after classes. I scribble crazy thoughts in my sketchbook in traffic. Finding the time to carry out those ingenius ideas is another story!

Zheni

kimeart
09-14-2006, 11:17 AM
QUOTE=zheni "Thank you for the thoughtful reply, Kim!"

"I will definitely look more closely at AAU. How much time do you spend doing school work?"

Zheni, I spend approximately ten to fifteen hours per week, per class on my work. I currently have four classes or twelve credits. Sometimes on major assignments I spend much more. I must communicate with other students in a discussion forum as well as communicate with the instructor on a weekly basis. Much like this forum, the class discussion forum sets the heartbeat of the class. The more communication and sharing with others the environment becomes energized which expands and pushes ones learning.

"Are the classes worth all the time and tuition?"

My purpose in life (to which I only have one) is being authentic. The choice of paying the tuition is a very personal decision and a difficult road for me but one that I will finish. Education is worth every penny I spend on it even when I was taking classes at a community college. I will have to work the rest of my life to pay the debt is it worth the risk? I go back to my statement my purpose is to be authentic, no one said it would be easy.

"I guess I would have to upgrade my computer skills to 21st century levels, a good thing."

I have very little computer skills I am learning as I go. I ask for help when needed and many people have stepped up to offer assistance. Yup, this is a good thing.

"Sounds like it has been a great experience, good for you!"

Thank you for your encouragement the experience is life-developing.

Best to you.

Coolie
09-17-2006, 06:02 PM
Hi:) , I am a junior artist I'm still in High School doing Advanced Subjects known as CAPE in the Caribbean region and I'm also doing a 2yr program in Visual Arts. I'm now in my second year and I am quite good and I am still learning and I'm willing to do whatever it takes to be a good artist.

Next year I will be doing my Visual Art exams and all eyes are on me for the top grade, a Grade 1. Hopefully after that I will be able to go to the Edna Manley School of the Visual and Performing Arts.:confused:

amaranth
09-17-2006, 06:07 PM
Hey Guys!
I'm not new, I'm old. well, to this thread I'm old. I've stopped by once and a while to see whats going on, but usually this channel is so serious. Understandable, since it's mostly students looking for colleges, and that can be serious business! I'm in my sophomore year at Western Michigan, and I'm still in the foundation arts program- lots of drawing and design classes. I was trying to get my hazard area otherwise known as a workroom clean so I could start working on homework for said classes, but decided to take a break. I've got a pastel abstract with spheres to finish, and a functional cardboard platform shoe to finish. It's a lot of fun, but definetly not easy. I get nervous before critiques- a couple of times my stuff has been the worst up there, because I have a difficult time with abstract/non impressionistic type stuff. That just makes me want to work harder, though. I dunno who said it first, but I'm appropriating it; I may not be the best, but I'll work the hardest!

Koi
09-18-2006, 09:59 AM
Amaranth, I'm also having a hard time in my design class because the Proff. wants more abstract work from me. I can only come up with so many stripes and swirls. :o Hopefully next semester I can get into drawing so I can do a little bit of figural. In the meantime, can anyone recommend any abstract books to look at?

I'm also having a bit of a problem keeping everything in the air. Why do I keep switching between my subjects when I'm studying? When I study for non-art stuff is when I get an idea for my latest project in design, and vice-versa when I'm hunched over the old drawing pad. :rolleyes:

And I've never been able to handle taking tests, so I'm about to jump out of my skin right now. My first psy test of the semester is today. :eek:

saralindsey
09-20-2006, 01:41 AM
I'm not new but a returning wetcanvas junkie, just finished up my ba in art, working on getting teaching certification and building a portfolio for my application into a masters program. Since my boyfriend is working on his masters and busy two nights a week and work is a little less crazy I may get to visit again.

sue_b
09-20-2006, 07:30 AM
I have gone back to uni this year to study fine art. nearly finished first year.
I am loving it!!

essentialnichole
09-20-2006, 03:38 PM
Hello everyone! I am 26 and a sophmore in a liberal arts college in South Carolina. I worked and tried to develop my art (drawing painting sculpture) on my own, but I never could progress past a certain point. I worked full time and that was an issue too (only so many hours in the day). I decided last year to go back to school. I now go full time (Fine Art major, of course) and I work just enough to pay the bills and get supplies...or really, I get supplies and pay the bills. (Who needs cable when you have new brushes!) It is hard because I am POOR, but my work has progressed leaps and bounds. Being in school has also humbled me. I use to think I was so great, now I realize I'm not, and I have sooooo much more to learn. But that I actually can be great if I keep working. For anyone who trys working on their own...I recommend you NEVER stay alone. It is important to involve yourself with other artists and have them critique your work. (I'm new here..is there an online crit????) Also, keep the company of as many art and art technique books you can get your hands on. AND DO THE EXERCISES! I read many books and thought I understood what the lesson was, untill I tried to do it myself. Point being you may understand how something works but doing is a completely other story!!!
I have 2 more years here and then I plan on going to grad school. Does anyone know of strong studio intensive grad schools? I want to be a professor.

Kimeart-Do you plan on contuining with Academy of Art for your masters?

Hello agian to everyone. I am really happy I have found this site. I hope to hear from you all!!

kimeart
09-26-2006, 02:43 PM
essentialnichole,

I do plan on pursuing my masters. I am undecided as to where.

best to you.

amaranth
10-02-2006, 11:37 PM
Hey Koi!
I can't say that there are any books in particular that have helped me, but studying abstract artists has helped me. Staring at a jackson Pollock, seeing what the other students have done in my class, it all helps. That, and just doing it. LUcky for me, we're getting in to more conceptual stuff, so it'll be lots easier on me at least.

Koi
10-05-2006, 12:01 AM
I will do that. Right now we are working on color wheels, so my main problem now is color mixing. Getting orange from red and yellow pencils is harder then I thought. Not to mention the fact that it would be so much easier to just use that nice *juicy* orange pencil that's sitting in my supplies box. But I can't because that would be cheating according to the Proff. I'm going to go and look around the forums for color mixing info.

Well, actually I can get a sort of orange, it's just not a shade of orange I like. :mad: I don't even want to think about mixing green- it always turns out too yellow or blue. If it helps any, we're using prismacolors on black mounting and illustration board.

dede77
10-06-2006, 12:58 AM
Does Anyone Knows Of Online Courses (not Diploma ) That Involve Pastel Painting ? Also, Any Good Drawing Classes Around That's Worth To Take It? I Travel Around All The Time, Every 3 Months, So, Definitely Needs To Be Online Courses... Not Too Expensive!!!! Thank You