PDA

View Full Version : Chicago

LuLu_
09-07-2006, 11:24 PM
I was just wondering if anyone has attended or has something to share about SAIC or American Academy. Ive been dead set on attending SAIC for a long time. I have had my portfolio accepted and attended ecp there last year. I would just like to hear someones experience who attended as a full time student at one of the two schools. Im not so intrigued by american academy, but my best friend just started there and he loves it. So if theres anything anyone has to say about these two schools I would love to hear it. Even advice is good. I already know quite a lot, but the more I know the better. Any extra advice on portfolios would be good too as I dont have to submit one, but I am for merit scholarship. Hope to hear from someone soon, Im most interested in hearing about first hand experiences. What are good classes? teachers? did you love it? hate it? etc.

RachelK
09-13-2006, 11:54 PM
I'm a fine art major at Columbia College, but not at SAIC. So if your curious about that I could answer some questions. I have run into a few SAIC students who transferred to Columbia for monetary reasons. SAIC is an excellent school and I would not hesitated to attend if I were accepted. For advice on teachers you can check out http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/index.jsp .
It has actually helped me to decide on classes at Columbia. Where are you from? I've lived in Chicago all my life and have studied elsewhere, but absolutely love this city. What's your preferred media?

Rachel

sir_real
09-19-2006, 02:16 AM
Sorry to bust into a first post to this forum in this manner, but after lurking and seeing this specific post, I thought I should reply.

I attend SAIC (graduating in Dec. though). It's a fine place, I'd say (I could elaborate, but I'll save the ramble for another date). The only caveat I can think of is this: unless you are conceptual and love being so, you may not enjoy it as much as another school. With that said, there are plenty of course that teach you the fundamentals (and rather intensely at that).

As far as portfolios go, with SAIC being as conceptually based as it is, I'd say it would be a good idea to show work that presented a strong cohesiveness to a thought, idea, concept, etc. It doesn't necessarily have to be stylistically pure as long as it shows deep running themes throughout and proves (or at least says that you can improve) that you're not shaky on ideas.

Overall, I loved it. But with anything, there were bad times and good times--and don't even get me started on all the art student egos...

LuLu_
09-20-2006, 04:44 PM
thanx for the responses. I really love chicago too. I used to live up in the north side when I was younger and I got a scholarship to do ecp at saic last year. It was alot of fun. Columbia Im not so sure of, I have a friend who goes there too. Im interested in it for the sake of my boyfriend though. Hes moving with me to wherever I go and he really wants to go to chicago too. Hes interested in journalism and columbia offers journalism plus he could take music classes there, but for me I dont know. SAIC is like my ideal school. It has everything I want out of college and most art schools dont work like SAIC. Im primarily a painter, but I also like mixed media and Im interested in taking some fibers, sculpture, and whatever else I feel like trying along the way. Im going for my bfa then Id like to get my mfa in chicago because the grad studios are awsome!!!!!! I might even go for an emphasis in art education....:D