PDA

View Full Version : Media Differences

dvallere
09-07-2006, 08:59 PM
Hi all,

I am beginning a multimedia project which will require a heavy, though not impasto, layer of paint in parts. I have experimented with both gouache and water-mixable oils from my local store. I want to experiment with egg tempera too, but don't want to place an order for one tube!

My question is whether egg tempera is shiny or matte when dry. The gouache I've tried is matte; the water-mixable oils are shiny. I'm shooting for an "old masters" look on this painted portion, so I'm leaning towards the w-m oils, but (a) they stink and (b) egg tempera is probably more historically accurate. That is a minor detail but it would please me to use it for that reason.

So, if you can let me know, please do!

Thanks,

D.

andymathis
09-07-2006, 10:49 PM
Egg tempera has a little bit of sheen to it- from the fat in the egg yolk, me thinks.

Richard Saylor
09-08-2006, 08:36 AM
Hi all,

I am beginning a multimedia project which will require a heavy, though not impasto, layer of paint in parts. I have experimented with both gouache and water-mixable oils from my local store...Probably the best medium (besides oils) for a really heavy layer (even impasto if you wish) is casein. When dry it buffs to a satin finish, or you can varnish it with shellac for a more glossy finish. Casein is more convenient to use than egg tempera.

Richard

dbclemons
09-08-2006, 09:32 AM
Casein can have something of an impasto, but it needs to be built up gradually. You'll likely find Shiva caseins to be more "stinky" than oils. You can make the oils less shiny by using emulsions of egg, casein, wax, or methylcellulose. Tubes of egg tempera have preservatives in them to extend their shelf life, which makes them behave a bit differently than the homemade variety. If you have some pigment around, it's not too difficult to make your own, even from ground up pastels. Have you considered acrylic?

dvallere
09-08-2006, 10:50 AM
I didn't consider acrylic because the general feel of the painting is going to be vaguely Renaissancey and I wanted to use something more authentic. I'll order some casein and see how it goes. Thanks, all.