PDA

View Full Version : Sunflower Garden

JanB
09-07-2006, 01:17 PM
I wish I could say this was a small quick one....well it's small 6x8 but it was not quick. I am definitely still on a learning curve with gouache :D This took me twice as long as it would have in oils. I'm trying to get a handle on gouache so that they resemble my oils. Having a bit of trouble getting soft edges, same as with acrylic, except I think I'll actually be able to make the gouache do what I want it to do. I also think that the Yarka gouache which I'm using is junk. It smells like the tempera paint we used to use in grade school :rolleyes: Jerry's has Holbein and W&N gouache on sale and I think I'm going to order some today.

I know this is pretty bad, but in the interest of full disclosure I thought I'd post it :D Oh the blues/purples under the front row of flowers are reading much too blue and intense...camera thing :eek:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Sep-2006/48727-sunflowergarden.jpg

idcrisis55
09-07-2006, 08:40 PM
I'm sure you learned a lot during this painting. I've never used gouache but I'm interested in how you come along with it as you paint with it more. What I do like is the grass in the foreground and the happy feel your practice painting has.

Ann

dbclemons
09-08-2006, 09:41 AM
Try starting with very thin washes and build up the opacity as you go. I think this will give you more control over your edges. If you need to cover over an opaque area, like say your yellow flowers over the green, you can wipe down the green beforehand to make it more manageable.

JanB
09-14-2006, 06:43 AM
Oh wipe down before you go back in...I never thought of that!! Thanks!