PDA

View Full Version : digital prints on eBay...

Laura Tasheiko
03-21-2002, 07:10 PM
Is anyone else selling digital prints on eBay?
I've been for about a month and sold about a dozen, maybe 15 in all. I only have 3 feedbacks, all positive so far. They cost me $5.00 to produce and so I sell them for $15.00 - standard production formula. I do not think I misrepresent the product at all, and that they are a good quality product for the price.

Only one person inquired before bidding whether it was a "signed, number print"! I was very polite - even gave her the option of an individual signing upon request. Two people expressed "disappointment" after receiving their prints. I offered to refund their money. Do some people have unreasonable expectations, or are they just ignorant? I don't know what planet they live on, but I can't even buy a half a bag of groceries with $15.00. Any thoughts? Link to auctions below. Appreciate your comments. L

http://search-desc.ebay.com/search/search.dll?MfcISAPICommand=GetResult&SortProperty=MetaEndSort&ht=1&query=tasheiko&srchdesc=y

hairballsdotcom
03-21-2002, 10:26 PM
Hi Laura,

What exactly have the complaints been that you've gotten? I've been having great success, so lets see if we can't figure out what the problem is. I'm sure its not your art -- you have some beautiful stuff!

I've been selling digital prints on eBay since November last year. I have had excellent response. I started them out low (too low), $8.95 but have gradually increased the minumum or reserve and most sell between $14.95 and $24.95 now -- these are 5x7 and 8x10 prints. I've even sold a couple in the $70 range and one (I think it was a Christmas excitement thing) went for $127! BTW, I sell these same digital prints (different subjects than whats on ebay) for $35 on my website and at local shows.

I use an Epson 1270 with lightfast inks and high quality heavy weight mat paper. I do not sell them with mats, but they are in a clear archival sleeve with a backing board and inforamtion sheet.

Feedback (currently 28) has been outstanding and not a single person has complained. Several have even commented how beautiful the picture looked in the auction and how they can't beleive the print is even better. PLUS I've had 7 repeat buyers which speaks for itself.

My "me" page:
http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/cat-artist

http://cgi2.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=cat-artist

Sumafra
03-21-2002, 10:47 PM
I listed prints a few times but only sold one. the buyer was very pleased with it. Otherwise, have not had much luck with prints. What category are you listing in I wonder. I listed in a print category and found that there were few hits. Can you tell us more about the 'complaints'?? Did it not look like the picture, or did they not realize they were prints until they got them?

PS: just looked at your auctions. your work is beautiful, I can't imagine that your buyers would have been disappointed. It must be that they didn't realize they were prints, and perhaps you need to make that clearer.

kjsspot
03-22-2002, 01:11 AM
I too think your prints look wonderful! I would have to agree that the only reason I could think of dissatisfaction is that they were not aware that they were prints. My suggestion is to not only make it clear that it is a print, but to perhaps give some specifics about the prints. IOW, something like what type of paper it's printed on and whatnot.

CathyD
03-22-2002, 01:33 AM
You have some beautiful prints there! I sell prints too, but I put it in my auction title, like this: PRINT of Original Watercolor Painting.
Sometimes I leave out 'painting' to put the name of the print in. I think it's important for them to know that the print is from an original.

I have only had one lady mistake a print for an original, she said she just didn't read it close enough. But she loved the print anyway.
I have two ways of doing my prints, larger ones (8 X 10) I take to a graphics printer, and the smaller ones I do on my epson printer on watercolor paper. So far everyone has been pleased with the quality.

Good luck Laurie!
Cathy

Laura Tasheiko
03-22-2002, 03:50 PM
I suppose things have been going so well, I shouldn't focus on the negative, but it's so early in the game for me I need to troubleshoot a bit - and so I appreciate your responses.
The first complaint was from someone who I should have followed my 6th sense about anyway. I request people use eBay Payments. She wanted to send check. I said OK, but asked her to go thru Checkout anyway and select Other Methods payment, so I could keep records together. She never did that. After she got the print she just said in her email she was "disappointed".
The other said she thought it was not a "print, but a color copy", which it's not. I've had people come to my studio and select that print, so I don't know what to think about these two - other than to just send their money back and hope for at least a neutral feedback. (I think it should still be positive since I do guarantee product and terms of agreement are met, interactions/transactions stay positive, but who knows what someone else will think or do.
Hairball - I'm using a Cannon BJC2010, which I've been happy with. Some prints I have to look carefully at to make sure I'm not sending the original by mistake. It already picks up watercolor paper texture so I print on good quality bristol board type card stock.

hairballsdotcom
03-22-2002, 07:54 PM
Laura,

It really doesn't sound like your doing anything much different than the rest of us so maybe you just happened on to a couple of "flukes" (oops did I misspell that...maybe it should be an 'a' instead of a 'u'? ;) ). I think you just need to continue on and considered it part of the experience. If you get additional concerns that are similar to the ones you've already gotten -- THEN it might be time to re-evaluate the whole process.

Offering money back is really the only way you can take care of these cases. I do put right on my auction "100% satisfaction guarteed by the artist". I've had others say I'm asking for trouble doing that, but I think its the best way to get people feeling comfortable with buying art on the web.