PDA

View Full Version : Disturbing portraits

abillion
09-07-2006, 01:10 AM
hello all -
Thanks to all who commented on my previous post "Surreal or Outsider or Fantasy...?" about my Girl with Violin and Fish painting... Here is my latest - three 10"x10" portraits that are meant to go together though do not join...question...does that make this a tryptic? What is a tryptic?

These are ficticious portraits culled from Victorian era photographs.

The colors vary on different monitors, the backgrounds are not blue but a cold grey green-teal.

I would love any critique! Thanks!

Cryogenic
09-07-2006, 05:53 AM
the second portrait looks like a very startled Jerry Sienfield ;)

3chaway9
09-07-2006, 07:36 AM
Hi Clive....i like your paintings...tryptich...as i understand it are three paintings which can all connect together to be hung as one larger painting...they can stand alone also ...(as your paintings) or not...(needing the three to make sense)..either way... if you wanted yours to connect ..the rope could be painted in such a way that it follows through across from the second to the third ...then around the thirds neck....i like the colours you used and the shadows of the ropes ...nice... well done...:thumbsup: :clap:

dreamz
09-07-2006, 07:47 AM
very cool almost macabre paintings, like something in a haunted house:thumbsup:

timelady
09-07-2006, 11:15 AM
Mmm... interesting! I like them. Yes, they can be a triptych. A triptych can be a set of 3 painted together to be one or a set of 3 intended to be shown as the 3 together.

Tina.

deadsam
09-07-2006, 02:34 PM
I love the eyeballs you put in your paintings :)
looks like me when shocked :lol:

Keep it up you got a great style going on there. I enjoyed the other one as well you did with the fish heads

AndyMcC
09-08-2006, 12:41 PM
I'm not normally a lover of painting like this, but the way you've tied the three together and the startled looking eyes are great :)

roony
09-09-2006, 02:32 AM
Oh my, how interesting.

LarrySeiler
09-09-2006, 10:37 AM
always interesting to see different aesthetic ideas played out...and this is a unique styling which I would imagine would stop anyone interested in art to check it out...! :)

abillion
09-10-2006, 02:00 PM
Thanks kindly for the comments -
Insight into defining tryptych has been most helpful. I must say it is nice to read such positive comments on my none-too-mainstream artworks (though I also welcome bashing)...a startled Jerry Seinfeld in a haunted house...it's cool to read what you see in them...
More eyeballs on the way, deadsam....!:) :eek: