PDA

View Full Version : Juried show question

scall0way
09-05-2006, 03:13 PM
Just before I left on vacation I joined the relatively newly-created New Jsersey Pastel Society. When I got back from vacation this weekend I found in my mail an invitation to participate in their juried show, open only to NJPS members. It would be fun to try to see if a picture of mine might make it, but the way they have it set up makes it pretty impossible for me. I'm just curious how many other shows work this way.

Each artist can submit one and only one painting, for a $25 fee. Okay, I can live with that, and the fee must be sent by September 20. However, if you then agree to participate you must bring your painting to the show venue between the hours of 10 AM and noon on Wednesday, Oct. 4. Then that same day you must return at 3:30 PM to find out if your picture has been juried it - and if not you take it away. The show is that weekend, and the painting must be picked up in person between 10 AM and noon on Wednesday October 11.

So my big problem is that I would have to take a day off from work just to take my picture there, either hang around, or come back later in the day to see if I made the cut, and then have to take another day off to pick up my picture (if I made the cut) the following week. As a working person I just don't have two vacation days to spare for something so "iffy". Are shows typically so unforgiving for the working person?

K Taylor-Green
09-05-2006, 03:31 PM
I'm sure this will all improve as they become more established. As members from the farthur reaches of the state want to participate there will have to be some changes!
Is there a friend or family member you can rely on to make the drop off and pick up? Most places will allow this.
I hope you enter this, Debbie. It will be getting your feet wet, anyway. Good luck!

Deborah Secor
09-05-2006, 03:34 PM
Man, that's a very demanding schedule! What they're holding isn't what I call an 'open' show. To me an open show implies that the members are able to submit a painting without any kind of jurying or prizes given. It's open in that you as a member are trusted to bring good solid work, framed properly.

As for that delivery and pick-up schedule, maybe it's because they're new and you need to give them input. I'd find that a hard schedule to stick to myself. Usually we have hours that include after-work times.

Can they arrange for a member to ferry paintings from a central location? We often have a member meet in the parking lot of a grocery store, ferry paintings somewhere and then return them the same time and place on another day. In this day of high gas prices folks kick in a few dollars for gas, too. Would that be possible? You might suggest this for the next time, if not this one.

Deborah

Bringer
09-05-2006, 04:01 PM
Hi,

If no one agreed, they would have to change the rules.

Kind regards,

Josť

sielograms
09-05-2006, 04:10 PM
Debbie, I belong to the Atanta Artists Center and the way they have submissions for their juried shows works quite nicely. Usually submissions are accepted over a three day period, Thurs, Fri. and Sat. a.m, I'm not quite sure what the hours are on Thurs. and Fri., but having Sat. available helps those with an 8-5 work week schedule. If the work is not accepted it is stored and you're expected to pick it up in a "timely manner". If the group has just gotten started maybe with feedback, things will improve to make it a bit easier for everyone. I hope you can find a way to enter.
Sharon

M Douglas
09-05-2006, 05:17 PM
I recently entered a juried show (my first) with our local Artist Guild, we had 1 day to submit our pieces between 9:00 and 4:00, which doesn't work well for people like myself that work.

Last week I also submitted pieces to be juried for upcoming 2007 year, again it was a one day thing between 9:00 and 4:00. Pick up is usually a predetermined day as well.

Melodie

PeggyB
09-05-2006, 05:31 PM
I agree with Dee - sounds like inexperience or an unawareness of what other members are able to do. As a new organization, it appears they may need some input from the members - namely people just like you who have full time jobs.
The entry fee is a bit steep for a one painting, very limited time frame show, but prehaps they are having to cover expenses for the venue. In that case it is a good thing to share the expense by those interested in at least trying to be accepted into the show rather than the whole membership that may not be interested.

Goodluck in whatever choice you make, but it looks that unless you can find someone willing to assist you this one is a "no go" for you. I'd give the show chairperson a call.

Peggy

bluefish
09-05-2006, 06:23 PM
Debbie:

Sounds like the 'show' is geared to students, teachers, retirees, full time pros or outside sales personnel, all who could meet these time constraints!

Where in NJ do you have to take/pick up the painting?

'bluefish'

pequan
09-05-2006, 07:12 PM
Wow Debbie that is way to limited a time frame.. as a member of the Coastal Pastel Society of North Carolina, and just returning from a meeting devoted to this exact topic....we decided to leave the juried work up along with the non juried for the entire time of the show....however, the juried work would have the ribbons hanging from the painting..........at another show I entered, they had the juried pieces in another area of the show with the ribbons attached to the paintings, and the nonjuried pieces hung for two weeks..... the show lasted the entire month.....with take in day a Sunday and take out also a Sunday...... I agree that is not the best day of the week, but most are available to do it......it sounds like this pastel society is geared only for local retired artists or they would not have voted this time frame in.... perhaps you could dispute the ruling a bit more.....other shows I have heard about did what Sharon said---store the unaccepted work to be picked up in a timely fashion, or at least on a weekend....

Tressa
09-05-2006, 08:01 PM
Our members only show is being juried by digital entries this year!! YAY!!
Debbie, I think it is just what has been mentioned..a new group trying to get their ducks in a row, or money issues...I definitely agree you should offer feedback and suggestions...(also if Stan Sperlak is a member, which I'm sure he is, get to know him...great pastelist)
Tres

scall0way
09-05-2006, 08:36 PM
Well the venue, where I would have to take the painting if I did it, is the Morris County Public Library, so it hardly seems like it would be a pricey venue! This is their FIRST ANNUAL JURIED EXHIBITION. Some notes from the pamphlet:

- Each artist may submit one piece.
- No oil pastels.
- $25 fee and 20% commission on all sales (10% to library and 10% to Society)
- Receiving, Wednesday Oct. 4, 10AM-23 noon, NO PAINTINGS WILL BE RECEIVED AFTER THAT TIME
- All participants must return to the Morris County Library at 3:30 PM to receive jury status and pick up their work if rejected.
- Pick-Up: Pickup Wedneday November 8, 2006 (I see the show is hanging for a month, I got that wrong) 10 AM -12 noon. If you cannot pick up at that time the painting will be stored at the owner's risk and expense.

I'd love to try to participate if I can come up with a painting I think might get in, but there is just no way I can take two days off from work, and all my friends and family work as well.

scall0way
09-11-2006, 05:35 PM
And one more question about juried shows, if anyone bothers to look at this thread again, :lol:. How important is the framing? Obviously I want the picture to look nice, but is there some guideline about what works when framing for shows? I can't afford to spend a lot of money on framing, so want good but cheap. ;)

Tressa
09-11-2006, 07:28 PM
Debbie, at my art reception on Sat. , Duane Wakeham(judge) brought this subject up, and his advice was to have a good sturdy wood frame, not too fancy as to compete with the artwork, and that judges try to forget the frame when they are judging the painting..he says he uses ONE type of frame for all his artwork..the only criteria the show had was no hooks or sawtooh hangers, you had to have dust cover, and screwhook, and wire for hanging..I had this really nice black metal frame with pressure clips to hang the wire, and I sent a pic to the pres asking if this was acceptable, and she said yes....
Here is my story..I had just returned from Scotland LATE Friday night, had to be at a dog show at 8:30am the following morning, and the painting had to be delivered that day between 11-4pm..hubby delivered it, and about 12:30 they called and said the clips on the back of my LOVELY black frame had broken when they tried to hang it..so had to drive back to DC and pick it up ,and go find a new frame, as it fell when they hung it, and the corner seam cracked a bit..I went to a frameshop and could not find a new black frame I liked so went with a simple gold "plein air" frame..it looked really nice, and was not that expensive...so that is probably what I will do from now on, they are wood, and very sturdy...
Lesson, the metal frames with clips, I will steer clear from, even though they looked pretty classy...
Tres

Doodlebug1967
09-11-2006, 11:25 PM
Debbie, I know nothing of shows, being rather new to pastels, but all the above advice sounds good. Can't hurt to call the person in charge and see if they can work with you in any way. All they can do is say no. If they can I think it would be a great experience and one you would be happy to have under your belt. Go for it if any way possible!

Ronda