PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Scumble Sept 5 Thru 10

K Taylor-Green
09-05-2006, 12:55 AM
Welcome to the Scumble, our weekly chat thread where we share stories about our families, kids, jobs, and pets.

A day late, or almost a day. With last week's scumble winding down early, mostly due to the shock and sadness of losing our beloved Guide, Sooz, I felt an extra day wouldn't come amiss.

But there is good news! E J has a new baby girl! Her name is Melody, born August 28.:heart: E J, we hope to see more photos here.

Pat Isaac
09-05-2006, 10:29 AM
Congratulations, E-J!! What a beautiful baby. Thanks so much for the pictures and hope you will send more.

Fall has kicked in here as the school buses are rolling today.

Pat

skintone
09-05-2006, 10:53 AM
Congrats E-J!
Well Janelle and I have just 6 weeks left. She has finally started to get those Braxton Hicks things. I think that's what it's called. Anyway we went to Hilton Head Island this weekend. We've been there every year for the last year for the holiday. We love it because it's hurricane season. Usually there are great waves and no people. Not the case this year. Way too many people, but it I got some good sketches in. BTW have you ever seen a pregnant woman bodyboard? It's hilarious. Wish I had some pictures of that.

Josie

Deborah Secor
09-05-2006, 12:29 PM
Fall is in full swing here and drop-dead GORGEOUS. Here's a photo I took a half hour ago of my driveway:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Sep-2006/23609-daisies_sep_06.jpg
These are cowpen daisies, which are literally waist deep, almost chest deep in places. As I walked through taking photos I became quite yellow and wet. The scent is heady--I'm so grateful I don't have allergies to the pollen. If there is ever a time when NM is more beautiful than usual, this is it, especially since we've had something like 7" of rain in the last two months (unheard of!)

Just thought I'd share the bounty with you!

Deborah

K Taylor-Green
09-05-2006, 12:32 PM
LOL Josie, as versus a pregnant MAN bodyboard? :eek: That would be funnier! Sorry, couldn't resist.:D I'm bad.

Another loss to the world was the untimely death of Steve Erwin, 44, also known as The Crocodile Hunter. He was stung in the chest by a stingray and died at the scene. His work with kids and the animal world will be greatly missed.

K Taylor-Green
09-05-2006, 12:33 PM
Deborah, we crossed! This is your driveway!? I want it!! So beautiful. I want to move west.

Deborah Secor
09-05-2006, 12:53 PM
Yep--the driveway! The cars were parked behind me, but we used to drive down this hill to park. My 20-year-old (going on 11) son drove his car into the center of them about two weeks ago and parked there, just because he wanted to. I coulda killed him!! He squashed a bunch of the daisies...but in the end it didn't really matter, I guess.

Come on out--the weather is about perfect. Seventy-five degrees, blue, blue, blue skies, clouds and an occasional scenic rainstorm in the afternoon. This is THE BEST time around here. I call it yellow season--sunflowers are starting now, the chamisa will be coming into bloom in a couple of weeks, and this year there are a lot of seldom-seen yellows that I don't recognize by name. Oh--and in yellow season, God arranges a lovely contrast: PURPLE asters, as well as a lovely little morning-glory that has delicate lavender flowers, and this year something that is spectacularly magenta! I tell ya, it's about as good as it gets right now. I'm painting out on Thursday and on Monday!!

Deborah

Pat Isaac
09-05-2006, 01:32 PM
Your driveway!!! Wow, I want it too.....gorgeous.

Bodyboarding.....Hmmm, Josie you have just got to carry that camera around more. Those six weeks will go fast.

Pat

scall0way
09-05-2006, 01:51 PM
Gee, I'm just back from my two weeks in New Brunswick, Canada - to read about the passing of our dear Sooz. I'm so devastated. Sooz was such a lovely person, and such a delight to chat with in our VPON chat sessions. I just can't grasp that she will not be there again. :(

I did have a fine and relaxing time on vacation, and painted six pictures there, all of which I did post over in the SPS. Now I'll have to catch up on what everyone else is doing now that I'm back to a broadband connection.

This week begins the beginning of a busy fall. Gee, when will I have time to paint? Monday nights I've signed up to take a Spanish class. Tuesday is Oratorio Society, Wednesday is art class, Thursday is choir rehearsal. Not to mention working full-time. Busy busy indeed.

PeggyB
09-05-2006, 01:52 PM
So much sadness to start the week, and then there is the wonderful news of E.J.'s new baby Melody. That's exactly what we all needed was a gentle reminder of the gift of new life. Congratulations E.J. - my d in l is also "Melody", and her baby is now almost 5 months old.

Dee that photo is absolutely inspiring! No wonder you will be painting plein air twice. Hope you have enough yellow pastels. These will be a huge contrast from your more recent night scenes.

I leave for Oklahoma City tomorrow. Hopefully the weather will be as nice as it is in Albuquerque. On Friday my sister and I will meet with another pastel friend, Ron Chapman (he's from Buffalo OK) at the Cowboy Hall of Fame and Heritage Center to see the Prix d West show. Since my sister is also a painter we will be having some fun art days while I'm there. I'll spend the weekend in the city with my daughter and her husband (my sis lives about 25 minutes south of OKC in the country). I'm so looking forward to this trip! Not the plane ride though. I remember enjoying airplanes about 10 years ago, but not any more - so crowded and seldom on time not to mention the hassle of security.

Peggy

M Douglas
09-05-2006, 02:47 PM
Wow Dee that view is enough to make me want to take up plein air!!

Josie....Hmmm pregnant bodyboarding..... lol now that would be a sight. Just imagine the stories you will be able to tell the little one lol.

Debbie i'm saying the same thing...." when will I be able to paint" i've signed up for 1 class at the college and i'm on the wait list for another if all goes well I will be taking classes 3 nights a week. Mon, Wed and thur. I've also joined our local art guild and they have life drawing classes 2 times a month on tuesdays which i'm hoping to get into. Oh yeah and that work thing.....Work sure cuts into life doesn't it. lol

Peggy.....it sounds like you will have a fantastic holiday. Its always nice to be able to go out and do art things with others that have the same interest. I'm sure I drive my non artist friends nuts when I drag them into art stores and debate over what pastel color or brand to buy. Have a great time and take pictures.

Melodie

Pat Isaac
09-05-2006, 04:30 PM
Have a great trip, Peggy. It sounds like a fun time.

Glad your trip was relaxing and artful, Debbie. You sure sound as if you will be one busy lady in the coming weeks. i'll have to go ever and look at your paintings.

Pat

meowmeow
09-05-2006, 06:35 PM
Congratulations E-J! That is so exciting...a baby girl! Enjoy her!
WE are waiting with you Josie! I remember those last few weeks still...and it was a long time ago!

It has been a rough week here on the WC pastels forum. I think we are all feeling the loss of Sooz.

We drove back home from Maine this morning. The cars are unloaded and some stuff is put away..but there are piles of debris everywhere. Stuff to be sorted and dealt with...blech! The only one who picks right up where he left off is the dog...up in Maine he sits int he driveway and barks at all the dogs that go by...and right now he is in the backyard...barking at the dogs that go by! :D

I've had a really sore stiff neck off and on for a couple of weeks...I am getting very annoyed with it. I get it periodically and I know it will clear up eventually, but having to move boxes and clean up stuff isn't helping...and being in pain makes me feel tired and aggravated and grumpy. Grumble...grumble...

Anyhow, I'll survive...or maybe they will have to amputate at the neck! :D
You all have a good week...I know I will be around and checking in to see how everyone is doing.

Sandy

skintone
09-05-2006, 06:35 PM
Dee, I thought that was a painting when I first saw it. It's a great picture.

Kate, LOL you're so crazy. You've never seen a pregnant MAN on a bodyboard?

I do need to take more pictures. I even had one of those water proof disposables on the beach. Forgot to take it in with me.

Josie

Pat Isaac
09-05-2006, 06:48 PM
Sheesh...Josie and I think I get brain fuzz....:lol:

Hope your neck gets better soon, Sandy. No fun.
Pat

PeggyB
09-05-2006, 06:53 PM
Congratulations E-J! I've had a really sore stiff neck off and on for a couple of weeks...I am getting very annoyed with it. I get it periodically and I know it will clear up eventually, but having to move boxes and clean up stuff isn't helping...and being in pain makes me feel tired and aggravated and grumpy. Grumble...grumble...

Anyhow, I'll survive...or maybe they will have to amputate at the neck! :D
Sandy

Ummmm - Sandy? Wouldn't it be easier to go to a good chiropractor? :confused: That's what my oh so hesitent husband finally did a couple weeks ago for a pinched nerve in his neck, and by golly after me telling him for ages that is what is sometimes the best he now agrees with me. :lol: Of course knowing the right one to go to can be problematic.

Peggy

Pat Isaac
09-05-2006, 07:01 PM
Good idea, Peggy. I go to one all the time. I have a very good one and fixes all my stiff necks and back problems. I finally convinced my DH to go a few years ago after he suffered peiodically from a back problem. Worked like a charm.

Pat

meowmeow
09-05-2006, 07:17 PM
If it doesn't clear up soon I'll check with my doctor....I know chiropractors can be great...and physical therapy.
We have a problem with our bed in Maine and will have to break down and replace it. I think the combination of the bed and the chair I sit in when I read do not do my neck any good...we just didn't want to spend a fortune on furniture for a second home but slowly we will have to replace stuff.
Now I'm back home and have a good chair and a better bed so hopefully if I am careful it will get better.

Yeah...we want a photo of you on the bodyboard, Josie!

Sandy

KA Obee
09-05-2006, 10:54 PM
I just tuned in after being a way for a few days only to see the sad news about Sooz. She was such a love, always so encouraging to us newbies. I am going to miss her so much.
I thought I remembered her posting something about EJ's baby back when she first let us know, so I did a search. Back in an April Scumble she said

"As the mum of two pink babies, I can assure you that you're in for some fun times and lovely snuggles! Girls are so cuddlesome and you aren't nearly so worried about them turning out tough enough. I also tend to think of girls as closer friends once grown...poor boys have so many far reaching obligations seems like. At any rate, I wouldn't trade either of mine, tho I'm sure mums of boys feel exactly the same.

I also prefer pink as a baby color, so you're set! And I agree, if you have to lose a studio, what better way to do it!"

I think she was very excited about the birth of this baby - and as I read the thread some more I saw that we had talked about doing little sketches of the baby when she arrived for her baby book. Wouldn't that be a fun little thread to start!

KA

Shari
09-05-2006, 10:58 PM
If it doesn't clear up soon I'll check with my doctor....I know chiropractors can be great...and physical therapy.
We have a problem with our bed in Maine and will have to break down and replace it. I think the combination of the bed and the chair I sit in when I read do not do my neck any good...we just didn't want to spend a fortune on furniture for a second home but slowly we will have to replace stuff.
Now I'm back home and have a good chair and a better bed so hopefully if I am careful it will get better.

Sandy

We replaced our bed a few years ago with an air bed, NOT a selectcomfort, but from a place in NY I think advance sleep or ABED, something like that. Anyway, it is the last bed we will ever need to buy. It is remarkable. You can make your side as hard or soft as you need, which changes with your back; and your husband can make his side a different hardness or softness. We love our air bed, we like it much better than an expensive tempurpedic. We did get a good discount because my husband IS a chiropractor and that really helped, but it is worth the investment in MHO. Please get help; I let my back pain go way too long and ended up having surgery, which I don't wish on anyone.

CindyW
09-06-2006, 12:33 AM
We replaced our bed a few years ago with an air bed, NOT a selectcomfort, but from a place in NY I think advance sleep or ABED, something like that. Anyway, it is the last bed we will ever need to buy. It is remarkable. You can make your side as hard or soft as you need, which changes with your back; and your husband can make his side a different hardness or softness. We love our air bed, we like it much better than an expensive tempurpedic. We did get a good discount because my husband IS a chiropractor and that really helped, but it is worth the investment in MHO. Please get help; I let my back pain go way too long and ended up having surgery, which I don't wish on anyone.
Shari, I am convinced reading this that my husband and I need an air bed, as you suggest works for you. It's just one of those purchases that seems so costly and so hard to predict what kind of bed would be best without buying and returning a couple styles and the hassle that could end up to be. But, thinking about the fact that we will continue to go to sleep each night for many long years to come on a bed that makes our backs wish we hadn't gone to sleep at all isn't very appealing. I'm so sorry you had to endure back surgery and hope you are healed and painfree.
Cindy

Shari
09-06-2006, 02:25 AM
Dee,

Um, do you have a guest room? That has to be the most beautiful driveway I have seen!!!

Cindy, we really researched the beds before we bought and we got an especially nice one. I do not recommend select comfort, which are at malls, as they are very cheaply made. The one we got has about a 1" new zealand wool top on it and the frame is made of real wood. Also, the rubber that the inner chambers are made out of do not offgass, very important. And thanks, yes, after three arthroscopic (thankfully) back surgeries, I can walk, swim, dance, do just about anything, though I have not been able to go back to belly dancing since the surgery.

Tressa
09-06-2006, 07:46 AM
EJ what an adorable little one...

Dee, I would love to have that view to look at every day...I know you are gonna miss it when you move...

Peggy, have a great time with your family, and do LOTS of fun stuff!!!!

Hi KA!!!

Kind of a quiet week here so far, and it is nice to have a bit of calm...this Saturday is the reception for the Maryland Pastel Show...hope the weather is nice, as the museum is located in a beautiful area in DC (on corner of M and 17th) and we are planning on walking somewhere for drinks and dinner after the show...
Tres

meowmeow
09-06-2006, 07:58 AM
Wah! Where is the picture of the baby! I wanna see the baby!!!!! I think I missed it....obviously.

Sandy

Pat Isaac
09-06-2006, 08:45 AM
Hey, Sandy. It is in last weeks Scumble.

Talking about beds, we have been researching that for almost a year now and still don't know what to get. We did look at the select comfort, but decided against them. Still looking...

Good luck at the opening Tress.

Pat

skintone
09-06-2006, 09:32 AM
I recommend the Physical Therapist or even an Occupational Therapist. My wife is an Occupational Therapist, but works with the PT's often. They have this great thing they do called Myofascia release. (I'm sure I spelled it wrong) Anyway it helps you unwind all of the tight tissue and muscles that pull the vertebrae out of whack in the first place. An hour long setions can take you back to how loose you were when you were a baby. It's kind of rough though. You have to find someone that has been through the training though.

Shari
09-06-2006, 11:47 AM
Hey, Sandy. It is in last weeks Scumble.

Talking about beds, we have been researching that for almost a year now and still don't know what to get. We did look at the select comfort, but decided against them. Still looking...

Good luck at the opening Tress.

Pat

Pat - check out www.abed.com which is where we ordered ours from. They are well made. We got a king size because we had never had one before, but I think it's too big; wish I had gotten the queen, cause we like to cuddle a lot.

EJ, congrats on your beautiful baby girl. Hope your birth was an easy one, not too long. We raised two beautiful daughters, and though the teen years were a bit of a challenge, I see what amazing beings they are and I know we did well. The great thing about children is that they will always be a mirror for you; they are great teachers.

meowmeow
09-06-2006, 12:07 PM
Thanks Pat...I just went back and found it...yep...she is a cutie for sure! Thanks for sharing, E-J. You enjoy that precious little bundle!

Sandy

watergirl
09-06-2006, 03:24 PM
Hello all! The light is changing here already, I can feel the chill in the air even though it will be 70 today, we have so been used to 70+. This summer has been one of a kind. Anyway, the fog moves in over the water in the nighttime and slowly burns off. I would like to capture this in a painting but so far only have it on film. Dee, that pic is stunning! I would so love to see those flowers and you describe the colors so beautifully! Peggy, have fun and hurry back! I have a myofascial release massage once a month-it allows me to move freely for several days until the fibromyalgia sets back in but is totally worth it! We are also considering a new type of bed...ah, well. Take care everyone and have a great week!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Sep-2006/43083-fallfog.jpg

Molly

KA Obee
09-06-2006, 03:50 PM
We're looking at the temperpedic beds... I know they are expensive, but everyone I know who has one just raves about it. My husband has a bad back, and Im just getting old and stiff all over.
One of the reasons I haven't been around much is that I'm taking an on-line psych class. I'm getting ready to go back to get certified to teach art in public schools. There are a couple of undergrad classes I need to get under my belt, and I was thrilled to find I can take them on-line. I'm feeling a little overwhelmed with trying to juggle my work/family schedule and get in the time to do all teh reading for this class - but I think I'll do o.k.
KA

Pat Isaac
09-06-2006, 03:55 PM
Thanks, Shari, I'll look into it.

Molly, what a beautiful setting. I'd like to see that every day.

KA, good for you getting back into school and preparing to teach art. I loved teaching art for the 30 years that I did it. The kids were just great.

Pat

makinart
09-06-2006, 04:14 PM
Good day all,
Those photos from Deborah and Molly are terrific. I'd like to set up camp at either place.
This site is the place to be for blood pressure or bouts of angst. It really has a calming effect. Everything is topical, not only art.
I don't know most of the individuals you talk of but you are closer than many families.
Hope this week is brings inspiration that goes on and on. Harley

meowmeow
09-06-2006, 04:20 PM
Molly, what a gorgeous view! WE lived in Tacoma, Washington for 5 months back in 1970 or so, when hubby was stationed at Fort Lewis. It is very similar to Maine in many ways, and yet different.
I love seeing pictures of differeent parts of the country (and the world)...very interesting.
And yes, Harley, we are like family. It is amazing how close you can feel to people you will probably never meet. But there is a special kinship here. It's a terrific bunch of people.
I'm in the process of setting up a studio area in the basement. We still have the house on the market, which is a pain in the you know what! But I need a place to paint. All last winter I sat on a futon in the back bedroom...well it did work. I did some nice things....but it wasn't all that comfortable. This will be better. I just laid out my pastel trays on a big counter we have down there. I'll have my husband haul my easel down later.
Of course, I should still be able to get in some good "on location" painting here and in Maine when we go on the weekends. But sometimes that doesn't work, especially in January in New England!
Anyhow, you all take care of those old, decrepit backs and necks! :D

SAndy

Sandy

Tressa
09-06-2006, 04:47 PM
LOL, Harley, just like family, ya neva know what topic is gonna show up in here either:lol: , from bad backs to ADD artists going to Psych classes!!

Ka, watch out for those chickens:evil: ...Seriously, you'll be fine, after you get into a routine..Mark took some online refresher courses, and they were tuff...but he got into the swing before too long!! Y"A"Y for you, for getting your cert!!!

Molly, I always enjoy seeing pics of the Northwet, but I had a hard time adjusting to the weather when I lived there... what a beautiful view!!
Here is a pic from my front garden.. all from seed...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Sep-2006/76189-PICT0013-1.JPG

To the right out of the picture is the herbs, I have mint, rosemary,basil,tansy,and few others...
Tres

watergirl
09-06-2006, 04:58 PM
Thanks for the kudos on my photo-I do love the view and spend way too much time just looking at it. I feel so lucky to be here and have lots of bruises from pinching myself. It does get dark in the winter however so just remind me of how great it was this summer okay! Love to see pics from your gardens and houses too! More, more!

M Douglas
09-06-2006, 06:37 PM
You have such a beautiful view Molly I could easily look at it everyday.

Sorry about all those old creaky backs I can relate. I faithfully go to my chiropractor once a month...(it does help that he's young and good looking):evil:

Northwet??????? :confused: Tres your lawn is greener then anything around here it all looks so lush.... it has been extra dry here this summer. I went to a gardening center on the weekend where they have incredible lawns and flower beds but even there it was dry and brown. But don't get me wrong i'm not complaining lol.

Melodie

Pat Isaac
09-06-2006, 06:52 PM
Yes, Harley. It's just as Tressa says, one big family. And....it is possible to meet some of your WC friends. I have already met 2 since I have been at WC and that is only for 2 years, so you never know.
Wonderful garden Tressa.

Pat

Deborah Secor
09-07-2006, 05:58 PM
Wish me happy birthday, family! I celebrated with my wonderful students painting out and going to a great lunch. They surprised me with a sinfully chocolate cake and the :music: birthday song. :music: Such sweethearts! :heart:

We had a great morning in the valley. Here's what we were painting:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Sep-2006/23609-NValley1.jpg
As a mater of fact, this is one of the locations I want to take the folks who can come to the pre-convention workshop. It's just luscious! Today the sky was a bit overcast, so it isn't at its best, but it sure can be.

Here's another charming shot:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Sep-2006/23609-ditchbank_flowers.jpg
The water is muddy because it's been so rainy, but that makes for some drop-dead gorgeous reflections like this. The entire Rio Grande looks this way some days.

I'll post a couple of paintings in their own thread when I get a few shots of them. You should have seen what my gals painted--I wish I'd gotten photos. They really did some nice work...

Deborah

Pat Isaac
09-07-2006, 06:11 PM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DEE!

Beautiful shots to paint even though I don't do landscapes, but I like to look at them.

Pat

M Douglas
09-07-2006, 06:15 PM
Happy Birthday Dee!!, sounds like you had a wonderful day. Those photos are beautiful.

Melodie

KA Obee
09-07-2006, 06:52 PM
What a wonderful way to spend your birthday - pastels, chocolate and good friends - what more could you ask for?
Happy Happy Day!
KA

meowmeow
09-07-2006, 07:12 PM
Happy Birthday Deborah! Sounds like you had a very appropriate day! Your painting spots are beautiful....the "muddy" wter one is terrific....the water is shoing up purple here on my screen...which is gorgeous with the yellow flowers!

Sandy

Tressa
09-07-2006, 07:27 PM
What a wonderful way to spend your birthday - pastels, chocolate and good friends - what more could you ask for?
Happy Happy Day!
KA

Yea! Definitely a trio to appreciate on your B-day!!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!
Tres

Deborah Secor
09-07-2006, 08:58 PM
Thanks gang! It's turning out to be a calorific birthday, but who cares? :lol: Now hubby is cooking steaks and baked potatoes and salad...plus we have that incredible chocolate cake for dessert...!

Sandy, the water did look purple, but probably not as saturated as that photo made it. It's more of a red-earth muddy water + gray-blue sky reflections= lavender. You should see it on days when the Rio Grande is lavender, in the fall when the trees are yellow and orange, and the sky is clear blue!! Whoooo--eeeee! I've almost driven off the bridge for looking at it.

FYI, I posted three of my little painting studies in the SPS, too.

Deborah

meowmeow
09-07-2006, 09:14 PM
I believe you, Deborah! I just love how the different parts of the country have such different forms and colors....and this is the best place to see it, here on WC.
I saw your paintings and commented...you are having quite the day! Eat up and enjoy!

sandy

K Taylor-Green
09-07-2006, 09:27 PM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEBORAH!!:clap:

I love that second one. And since it LOOKS purple, I'd prolly PAINT it purple. It's gorgeous.

Tres, Your garden is pretty, two. Mine is way past it's peak, though the roses are still blooming and the spider flowers have taken over for the daylilies.
Actually, I need to catch up on the weeding, get everything ready for fall mulch.

Gorgeous pics from you too, Molly. I should weed out some from this summer's garden and show them. Oh well.

School starts for me tomorrow. I am not on a public school schedual as I work for a homeschool group. I get longer vacations!:evil:
I just finished the supply lists to hand out, still have one lesson plan to type up. Hey! Nothing like waiting til the last minute!:D It's what keeps me mentally sharp!:thumbsup:

Harley, from one family member to another, you could show us some of YOUR Southwest pictures.

makinart
09-07-2006, 11:19 PM
Hi Kate,
Actually, I love to look out my window at the our Arizona version of greenery and wildlife. Wonderful and calming.
I will look for an area that speaks for me.
Harley

AnnieA
09-08-2006, 12:01 AM
Happy Birthday, Deborah!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Aug-2006/85002-birthday2.gif

(There are only virtual calories in that cupcake! :lol:)

...and those are gorgeous photos! :)

Deborah Secor
09-08-2006, 12:10 AM
Oh, good Annie! I'm about maxed on anything but cyber-calories.

You all are so sweet--thanks... :heart:

At the moment we're having a thunderstorm with hail and lots of rain. Good old New Mexico--the State Fair starts tomorrow. It's a tradition here for it to rain for 2 1/2 weeks during the Fair. :smug:

Deborah

Shari
09-08-2006, 12:52 AM
HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEBORAH!!! hey, nothing wrong with chocolate, I eat a piece every day, vitamin CH - it's good for you!!! Glad you had such a wonderful day.

Kathryn Day
09-08-2006, 01:14 AM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! Deborah, so nice to see you had a wonderful time. I am going now to look at your plein air paintings. It's raining here in Gallup, now too.

CM Neidhofer
09-08-2006, 04:02 AM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEBORAH!! :music: :music: :music: :clap: :clap:

Christine

makinart
09-08-2006, 04:24 AM
Hi Deborah and Happy Birthday to you. Hope you're having plenty of fun.
With big hugs all the way from Tucson. Harley

CJMonty
09-08-2006, 07:08 AM
Happy Birthday Deborah :clap: It seems that every where at the moment, Nature is busy putting her favourite colours together. Loved your picture of your driveway Deborah. At the moment our local Freeway is lined on both sides and down the middle with the bright yellows of the Wattle and the Purples of the Geralton Wax, it is so pretty, unfortunately you are not allowed to stop on the Freeway so I can't take any pics which is a shame. The yellow of the wattles is so intense it is almost an orange yelow if you kbow what I mean and the Geralton Waxes vary from an almost white flower throught he whole range through pink to deep purple. :)
Carolynn :wave:

meowmeow
09-08-2006, 08:31 AM
bright yellows of the Wattle and the Purples of the Geralton Wax

I had to laugh at that because now we all know what wattle is...from Susan's painting! :D I remember when she started it and had "wattle" in the title and everyone asked what it was! So now I have a lovely image Carolynn.

So why didn't you share your chocolate cake with us, Deborah!!!! Virtual calories are definitely better for us, but sheesh...I would love a nice big bite of chocolate cake right about now.

Have a good weekend, everyone!

Sandy

Deborah Secor
09-08-2006, 04:12 PM
Thank you for your good wishes, everyone! I may be older but I'm richer in friends, that's for certain. :D

Um...Sandy...the cake is, uhhh, almost gone! Would ya care for some cyber-cupcake? We have lots! LOL <Deb passes the plate heaped with cyber-cupcakes to everyone>

Wattle we know. (Acacia!) Geralton Wax is a mystery to me...It must be strictly Aussie! This calls for research. Found it...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Sep-2006/23609-purplepride.jpg
I bet that is lovely CJ!

It's raining here today. Gray, gloomy, cool, with a lovely dripping melody. So unusual for us to have it do this almost all day--or even more than 15 minutes. Rather refreshing, although I admit that I keep thinking I need to turn on the lights. We're used to sunlight, that's for sure.

Deborah

K Taylor-Green
09-08-2006, 04:38 PM
Whoa, what a day!!! First day of school crazies! No one knows where they are supposed to be or when they are supposed to be there. Fees being paid all at once by all students. Some parents withdrawing kids because they didn't understand the fees. All this despite the newsletter sent to everyone, that they didn't read, only skimmed.:rolleyes:
Next Friday has got to be better!:eek:

Tressa
09-08-2006, 04:40 PM
Glad you had a fantastic birthday Dee!!

Ok, wish me luck, tomorrow is the artist reception for the national show I'm in, and the awards:eek: , lots of wonderful pastelists in the show, so I am just glad to be IN IT!! , but it would be nice to get at least honorable mention:o ..Tres

Pat Isaac
09-08-2006, 05:09 PM
Good luck, Tressa and thanks for the info, Dee.

I didn't know what either one of those were. Must be beautiful along the roads.

It is always amazing to me how people don't seem to read notices anymore, just assume its useless info.

Pat

meowmeow
09-08-2006, 05:57 PM
Good luck, Tres!

Okay, Deborah....since you at most of the other cake, here is some more for everyone to share!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Sep-2006/15050-Bdaycake.gif

Sandy

Shari
09-08-2006, 08:11 PM
Unfortunately, I have had a very bad day, tore my lateral meniscus and have to have knee surgery, UGH!! Because my deductible is so expensive, I have to wait until January, so I am hobbling around till then. Trying to think positive thoughts and get through this disappointing turn of events. I swear, I have had enough surgery for one lifetime!!! On the good side, I will have more time for art!

M Douglas
09-08-2006, 10:55 PM
Good luck Tres, i'm rooting for you! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Shari i'm so sorry to hear about your knee, how did you hurt it? I imagine its very painful. Poor you! :crying:

Melodie

K Taylor-Green
09-09-2006, 12:23 AM
Good heavens, Shari! What an awful thing to happen! Does ice help?

Me, I'm just mucho aggravated! On top of the first day of school crazies, my hubby decided to pull an almost double shift, without telling me! Matter of fact, he told me he would be done early. And does he bother to call? Nada. And where is his cell phone? In the vehicle he did not drive! Grrrrrrr. And am I going to feel guilty for worrying myself sick? You got it........NO!
Men........Can't live with em....and just can't, well.....you know!

meowmeow
09-09-2006, 09:12 AM
Shari, I'm sorry about your knee...and thatyou have to wait to get it fixed. It sounds very painful....although if it means you will be able to paint more that's a good thing....but not a good way to have that happen.

Yep, Kate, men...what is it!?!? Mine always gets upset when I don't let him nkow where i am but never thinks to leave messages or notes for me. Well, at least yours got home safe and sound...but who needs the worry!

We had supper with my dad last night. He is really doing much better than ever since my mother died in March, but it really is sad. He is redoing the apartment, which is nice. They had not gotten anything new for years but now he is having it repainted and has gotten some beauitful modern prints and all new furniture. He is spending a lot of money, which is fine since he can afford it...yet the fact that he is 86 makes it seem a bit strange, honestly. It's sort of a defiant attitude about age, I think! :D But our conversations with him are so odd...sometimes he is coherent and even interesting to talk to...but other times he just sort of fades out...I know even with the hearing aids his hearing is not that great. I think he misses whole chunks of what we are saying and then tries to fudge it...which makes for some strange responses on his part. But all in all he is so much better, I really can't complain.

Enjoy the weekend!

Sandy

Tressa
09-09-2006, 09:52 AM
Shari, what a bummer!! Hope you feel better soon.. try that ice pack!!

Sandy, I think it is great that at 86 your dad is interested in redecorating!! A good project to keep him focused!!
Tres

Tressa
09-09-2006, 05:52 PM
Just got back from the artists' reception, and I did not win anything, but that is ok:wink2: I am just happy to be in the exhibit!! Over 340 entries and only 86 accepted. Not only that but I am sharing wall space with Jack Pardue:smug: ..just him and me on the first wall as you enter the exhibit!!
The reception was very nice, and of course very Washington, people in black suits, or flipflops:lol: ...
Tres

Pat Isaac
09-09-2006, 05:55 PM
I laughed at your description of the reception. BTW Congratulations on getting accepted as I always think that is just great given the amount of entries and what they accept. Anyway, Boston is just like that...tails to torn jeans....:lol:

Pat

M Douglas
09-09-2006, 06:28 PM
Congrats on getting into the show Tress :clap: and just think you have one of the best spots for your painting to hang. I find for myself that I tend to pay more attention to the first paintings I see especially in a big show.

people in black suits, or flipflops:lol: ...
Tres Guess that really does pretty much mean anything goes these days. I find I stress over what i'm going to wear to these type of things then get there and find out it really didn't matter :lol:

I just got back from hanging my paintings at Grab-a-Java, a local coffee shop. Our graphic guild has an arrangement with the owner to have monthly showings. This is the first time i've shown so we shall see how it goes. So far the reception to my paintings was very encouraging.

I also have to do a write up and send it to the paper and maybe they will post it. And a photo .... I hate photos:mad: ... why can't I just paint :lol: anyways here's a photo taken at the shop which I will send to the paper.

Melodie

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Sep-2006/51357-IMG_1774email_size.jpg

CJMonty
09-10-2006, 05:03 AM
Deborah, you picked a nice picture of the Geraldton Wax, it is specific to Western Asutralia, in fact from a Coastal town actually called Geraldton about 4 hours drive North of Perth itself. The flowers on a Geraldton Wax can be almost white it is so pale to almost dark crimson (more towards a Cerise colour if you know what I mean.) It is a eautiful flower which last for ages when brought in as a cut flower in an arrangement.
Carolynn

PS Deborah you always call me CJ so maybe I should let everyone do that as several of my friends and family here refer to me as CJ too. Thankyou, I like it.

meowmeow
09-10-2006, 09:31 AM
Looks great Melodie! Good luck....sounds like you got off to a good start with a successful reception...but don't get discouraged if you don't sell much. It's still exposure...a wonderful way for people to get to know who you are and see your work. And your work looks good!

Sandy

Tressa
09-10-2006, 10:49 AM
Great photo Melodie!!! Good luck!! The pics look wonderful!!
Tres

makinart
09-10-2006, 09:31 PM
Hi my art friends,
I'm off to Montana and will be in the deepest reaches of the mountains just north of Yellowstone Park. I've been to these areas since I was a kid coming down there from Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan.
I'll take a couple of shots so you can see what I consider to be one of several areas of paradise in this world.
You are all wonderful people with much wisdom.
Will be back with you in a week or so.
Keep well. Harley

meowmeow
09-10-2006, 10:10 PM
Have a great trip! Paint some good stuff!

Sandy

Kathryn Wilson
09-11-2006, 12:43 AM
Harley, I know you'll have a great time! Take care and come back to us with some paintings.

K Taylor-Green
09-11-2006, 01:02 AM
Have a good trip, Harley! See you soon!

Tressa
09-11-2006, 08:02 AM
Have a wonderful wilderness holiday!! Are you roughing it, or a cabin??
Tres