PDA

View Full Version : Dark photo but......hopefully...

Silveni
09-04-2006, 12:15 AM
This is a 20yr old photo of sentimental attachment, I wanted to try and put on canvas. Parts of the photo are rather dark, especially the cat.:cat:

This is the first stage, after 2 thin layers of paint.....

Silveni
09-04-2006, 12:55 AM
The canvas is 12" by 9".

DorothyC
09-04-2006, 01:06 AM
Fantastic - I'm so impressed with what you are doing with this photo. How often do we have a treasured photo that just can't be seen other than in our minds eye.

The little boy is delightful - chubby cheeks and all. As for the kitty - he sure doesn't look like he's enjoying the cuddle! I think the story being told is wonderful. Congratulations. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Bertoni
09-04-2006, 02:52 AM
The first stage is looking real good! :thumbsup::clap:
Hope you'll post the next steps and the finish!
I've also taken old treasured family photos and turned them into paintings! They mean a lot to the folks who receive them!!!

chammi kaiser
09-04-2006, 05:13 AM
Looking good. Looking forward to the phase and the finished painting. Not easy but you're doing a great job. Chammi.

Mark Newton
09-04-2006, 05:17 AM
Excellent...looks like a note worthy rendition to me...a great memory keeper, well worth the effort.

Gillette
09-04-2006, 05:23 AM
This is going to be lovely.Well painted so far.
I have sometimes scanned old photos and then manipulated them on my pc to assist reproduction.
Jane.

Silveni
09-04-2006, 05:34 AM
Thank you all, Dorothy, Bertoni, Chammi, Mark & Jane.:wave: There is something wonderful about encouragement, it makes you want to do better:) :) The photo was much darker, but Dorothy twiddled it on her computer for me, and I can see the cat in a much better light.:thumbsup:

And Dorothy, a HUGE thank you for throwing open that window for me.....:clap: :clap:

idcrisis55
09-04-2006, 06:27 AM
Looking good, Silveni. I'm looking forward to your next update.

Ann

valchina612
09-04-2006, 06:31 AM
This is coming along really nicely, and I'm looking so forward to your updates. :clap: :thumbsup:

Val. :wave:

DorothyC
09-04-2006, 06:35 AM
DahlisMarie - the talent is all yours.

Ladies and Gentlemen - DahlisMarie had never attempted to paint until recently and her talent astounds me. This lady takes a tiny amount of help and creates with enormous potential.

I have been a porcelain painting teacher for many years and always hope for that one special student - here's mine!!! You bet I'm proud of her! She can paint on anything!
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Silveni
09-04-2006, 07:56 AM
Thank you Val and Ann for your kind and encouraging words:) :)
Dorothy and I are both feeling emotional tonight, because we lost a great Aussie today in Steve Irwin. Someone this country cannot afford to lose.

Lady Carol
09-04-2006, 10:23 AM
DahlisMarie: that poor cat (sorry had to say that). The painting is looking nice already.

Silveni
09-04-2006, 06:00 PM
Thanks Carol:) Yes, I can never forget that poor liitle cat dangling from his arm:cat:

jeff m
09-04-2006, 07:37 PM
Don't forget there are a lot of "oldies" on here, like myself, who may not realise your thumbnails are clickable.:D
Glad to see you have a cat in there, I didn't expect one:thumbsup:

You have done an excellent job on the face, keep going ,great so far.

Silveni
09-04-2006, 09:08 PM
Thanks Jeff:) . HAD to have a cat of course!!! Got to succeed in painting one:D
I was trying to get the photos side by side, tried the thumbnail method, however it didn't work anyway. Back to Image Loader.:wave:

fala
09-04-2006, 10:35 PM
The cat doesn't look too distressed. it's feet are just hanging calmly. I can't quite make it out, is the cat's front leg supposed to be over the child's arm?
Cute picture!!

Silveni
09-05-2006, 12:08 AM
Crikey Annette, you may be right!!! I shall have to dig out a magnyfying glass to try and see on the original photo that is so dark.
Actually it would make more sense if it is!!!:) :) Thanks for that.:clap:

DorothyC
09-05-2006, 12:32 AM
I've peered and adjusted the original and although it makes more sense for it to be over his arm - I think it is under the boys arm. I think he's hugging the cat so tight that it's pushed inward toward the body and the paw is dangling below the boys arm. I think if you paint it how is seems right for you is the way to go. :)

Silveni
09-05-2006, 05:45 AM
Well, Annette and Dorothy - is it under or over, that is the question.:rolleyes:

I found my magnifying glass AND put my glasses on as well and it does seem to hang over his arm. So back to the drawing board.
Thank you for picking that up Annette. You must have fresher eyes:cat:

Jon
09-05-2006, 10:30 AM
Great subject and looking good!

DorothyC
09-05-2006, 06:29 PM
I'm really glad you could find it on the original - whatever you choose to go with will end up looking right. That's the beauty of painting - choice.

Silveni
09-05-2006, 11:34 PM
Yes, I think this is the way to go Dorothy:) :cat:

He's got his leg over and he looks much more comfortable:wave:

DorothyC
09-06-2006, 01:36 AM
Cool!! :thumbsup: Do we have a painting update yet?

Silveni
09-06-2006, 04:18 AM
I've been shovelling dirt and chasing cows today - painting will be tomorrow:cat: Hopefully, it will really start to come together. Thank you for your interest in it - and by the way, I hope you have been blowing bubbles today????:D :wave:

Silveni
09-07-2006, 02:33 AM
Oh dear, here is the next stage. I can see I am going to have trouble with the hat band and the cats eyes in particular. Any hints gratefully received:D
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Sep-2006/86238-P1010002c.jpg

DorothyC
09-07-2006, 03:01 AM
Dahlis Marie - this is looking very good. :thumbsup:
Remember what you are doing with Sam with the light and shadow. :lol:
For the cat eyes you will need to float a shadow across the upper part of the eyes to allow them to sit beneath the eyelid. The light source is coming from the right so you can add a very small hilight to the right side of the eye if you think it's needed. It will have a touch of light on the opposite side of the eye where the light passes through the round part of the eye. It will only be tiny. These two hilight areas may not be necessary - it depends on the size of the area plus the fact that the cat is slightly shadowed by the boys body and hand. The main thing with the eyes is that they are round but the most part is inside the eyelids so they appear oval. You might like to practice the eye shapes on a separate piece of paper to get the feel for where you want the hilights and shadows. There will also be another shallower shadow at the bottom of the lid. Barely noticeable in this one.

You have the texture of the fabric looking great. Again remember about hilights and shadows that you have been doing with Sam. The other thing to bare in mind is that fabrics all give different amounts of hilight. If it's a shiny fabric there is a lot of hilight if its heavily textured like wool then the hilight is more diffused. You may find a little bit of drybrushing will work for the hilight. Alternatively - only create shadow at the sides of the hat to make it rounder. Of course there is more shadow on the left than the right because of the light source.

Finding a number of different values within every area is what will really make the difference here. You will begin to find other areas where you will want to add depth to create that three dimensional look. Essentially everything just needs the fine tuning.

You look like you're really enjoying this piece. :clap: :clap:

Silveni
09-07-2006, 03:09 AM
Thank you heaps Dorothy. That is an excellent lot of advice.:clap: I have pasted it and printed it out so I can follow it as I paint.
I feel I have learnt so much from doing Sam's wall, and this is going to be a huge learning curve as well. Thanks again:) :wave:

jeff m
09-07-2006, 12:14 PM
Just popped in to say,
This is very very good in all aspects, your fabric esp, (I couldn't do that:envy: )
And Dorothy is "pushing" you in all the right directions,
You're gonna be so proud of this :clap: :clap:

idcrisis55
09-07-2006, 02:16 PM
Hi DahlisMarie, just here to cheer you on. Great advice from Dorothy and like what you are doing with that hat band. You are doing so good with your shadow work.

Ann

Silveni
09-07-2006, 05:45 PM
Thank you so much Jeff and Ann, much appreciated:) :) I am finding this so exciting. Scary, but exciting.
Jeff, I don't believe you for a second about the fabric.:wave: