PDA

View Full Version : Nest Egg

ponting
09-03-2006, 08:13 PM
Hi again

This is a study....in that it's smaller than the one I will evenutally work on. The larger one will have several eggs and a waterfall of fabric and be titled the plural of this one. :lol:

This was one of those times when I had one prop....this lovely length of ivory sateen and was wondering what to do with it. In the process of rooting around in my kitchen, I discovered just how well my brown eggs nestled into it. It's inspired by Kim''s fabric and fruit paintings in that it uses a like colour scheme. Thanks you Kim for that!!!!:clap:

9"x 7.5 inches on La Carte
Terry Ludwigs, Unision and a lot of Holbein pastels.

C & C welcome and appreciated. This ones for you Sooz. You've been on my mind throughout the whole painting and I will forever associate it with your sunshine. :heart:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Sep-2006/34523-Nest-egg.jpg

Merriel
09-03-2006, 08:31 PM
absolutely beautiful. Who would have thought a raw/cooked egg wrapped in
satin. wonderful.

leirrem

KJSCL
09-03-2006, 08:37 PM
Beautifully done Dianna! I love the color of this. The fabric looks very soft and shiny, just like sateen :evil:

Holley
09-03-2006, 09:06 PM
Wow, this is just beautiful!!!

granddad
09-03-2006, 10:12 PM
wonderful, I love it and your style. james

Deborah Secor
09-03-2006, 10:30 PM
There's a new thread posted in Pastel Talk for paintings done in memory of Sooz (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=368956), so I hope you'll post this beauty there, Dianna...

Deborah

prettytulips
09-03-2006, 10:34 PM
Diana,

This is stunning! I just love peach, it's the most sensuous color I think and I can practically hear the satin sing... Very sensual painting!! And it's amazing how small it is for such detail...

Kelly

ponting
09-04-2006, 01:26 AM
Thank you all for your gracious comments and yes Dee, Kat PM'd me with an invitation which I followed up on. Thanks for your suggestion also. :)

I'm glad I took the time to do a small study before moving along to the larger one as this is the first time I have had trouble with La Carte. It think it's the Holbeins flattening out the finish on the paper or possibly a bad piece of paper but it did give me a few tense monents so I will be prepared for the next one.

cheers, Dianna :wave:

M Douglas
09-04-2006, 03:06 AM
Stunning stunning stunning......what can I say!! :clap: :clap: :clap: Can't wait to see the full size one. And a beautiful tribute to Sooz.:heart:

Melodie

kyliecarney
09-04-2006, 04:32 AM
Wow this is fantastic...if you are ever in Australia, please do a workshop! I would love to come!:clap::clap::clap::clap:
Kylie

meowmeow
09-04-2006, 09:00 AM
Lovely!
Soft and hard....just beautiful!

SAndy

valchina612
09-04-2006, 09:12 AM
Dianna, this is an exquisite painting. I just love the way you have done the sateen and the colours used, and the egg sitting within the folds is a perfect composition. Wonderful. :clap: :clap: :thumbsup:

Val. :wave:

Mike_Beeman
09-04-2006, 11:10 AM
Dianna...Beautiful painting, I really like this combination of textures! Mike

raye51
09-04-2006, 11:38 AM
Love it, love it! Dying to take one of your classes, waiting for one closer to Oregon.
Raye

Mikki Petersen
09-04-2006, 11:45 AM
Gorgeous! So much interest here with a monochromatic palette and also a message of safety with the egg nestled into the folds. Looking forward to the larger painting.

Mikki

formerlyunknownart
09-04-2006, 11:53 AM
This is quite stunning Dianna! I've visited a similar theme with my "Inner Glow" painting... the tone on tone with fabric and another prop.Its on the front page of my website if you want to have a peek. I just love painting fabric, espescially satin. What kind of trouble did the La Carte give you? I ran into some problems when I was doing my Shakespeare one. It was very hot and I was using pencils and I think the texture actually melted off. Its been hot these last 2 days, maybe something similar happened to you?

Can't wait to see your larger painting!! I like the simplicity of this and yet you can stare at it for hours, studying the way the light moves. I thought that if one were to pan out, they'd see this egg, wrapped in satin inside a basket heading home from the market, possibly the last egg that didn't sell. This one sparks the imagination and captures the interest. Well Done!

*Marina*
09-04-2006, 12:38 PM
Wow, just gorgeous, Dianna. Love the colours and the subtleties. Looking forward to the bigger painting. What a great idea devoting it to Sooz. She would have loved it.
Interesting theory Melanie, about the paper. I had something similar this summer when I was painting when it was extremely hot. I erased a small area with a click eraser and the paper was all flattened. I managed to restore the tooth by using some sand paper, very carefully. How did you manage to get the tooth back Dianna?

ponting
09-04-2006, 12:47 PM
Oh wow....how did you all sneak in here while I was'nt looking. It's always great to read what people think and even better to find that they see things in your work that even you didn't!! LOL

Thank you guys!! Your great. :thumbsup:

Cheers, Dianna :cat:

ponting
09-04-2006, 01:01 PM
Oh more on the next page....so sorry that I didn't see you there with your questions Mel and Marina...and I will indeed check out your painting Mel.

Well the problem seemed to be in the lighter larger areas where upon blending the colour ended up spotty with a grey cast underneath. I've had the same problems with some Sennelier colours clotting up and not blending but wasn't using that brand on this and I've never had problems with Holbein before. Erasing right down to the paper usually works but didn't seem to help this time. I was by the way an umber shade and was a rather mauled looking piece of La Carte so I will have to experiment further to see if I have problems with the new piece today. Today's...well doesn't that sound confident....more likely three days worth of painting.....anyway today's or this next piece is twice as large so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Cheers, Dianna :wave:

*Marina*
09-04-2006, 01:22 PM
Good luck, Dianna :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Gis
09-04-2006, 01:59 PM
wow!!! I'm speachless....wonderful

Meisie
09-04-2006, 02:45 PM
Gorgeous! :clap:

Meisie

binkie
09-04-2006, 02:48 PM
wOW! Stunning, gorgeous. fantastic!!! All superlatives for your painting(s). I want to attend your workshop in AZ so bad!

binkie

Tressa
09-04-2006, 05:10 PM
WOW! A bed of softness for something so fragile....
absolutely beautiful Diana, I stand in awe sometimes looking at your creative efforts.. I was just studying your piece from last year's IAPS earlier today...
Tres

ponting
09-05-2006, 10:52 PM
Thanks Marina. I will save that thought for the 'big event' Right now I'm working on my dull, boring show paintings. :(

Thank goodness you're not to speechless to write Gisèle :p

Thanks too to you Meisie and you Binkie....sounds like you won't be there....too bad, I'm really looking forward to seeing the Sierra Vista area as we as Tombstone!!

Tressa...Ah IAPS.....still time to enter for the upcoming magazine cover....perhaps we will see you there next year?????....or someone else from Wet Canvas???

Cheers, Dianna:cat:

Bhavana Vijay
09-06-2006, 01:19 PM
The egg almost looks glamorous!!Its gorgeous Dianna!!! Eagerly waiting for the larger version.:clap::clap::clap:

Merethe T
09-06-2006, 01:35 PM
Yes, glamourous! I was looking for a word to describe this, and glamorous it is! It's a stunning piece Dianna, wonderful colours! And what a neat concept, sateen and eggs, I look forward to see the large version - a waterfall of fabric,uhm ain't that something else....

I've had similar experiences with La Carte as you describe,and it seem to depend on the colour of the paper. Might be my imagination though, but I tend to choose the grey paper, as it seem smoother. I've also experienced the surface "melting" when working on hot days, probably because one get sweaty (eh, sorry don't know if that is a word...:D),so I try not to paint on La Carte when it's to hot.

Wonderful work, I'm so glad you're back painting and posting...I think you might be my pastel-hero...:D

ponting
09-06-2006, 02:56 PM
Merethe and Bhavana....glamorous is a word I never would have expected to use with an egg but I can certainly see where that might be the feeling with being swathed in shimmery fabric. Now didn't Kelly use the word 'sensual' in here somewhere?? We had better keep our eye on this or there may be a lot of little eggs rolling about. :lol: Eggettes?? Egglings??

It's definitely time to go....Cheers, Di:wave: :cat:

silverflagon
09-07-2006, 03:18 PM
It's beautiful Deborah. the colour is the same but there the similarity ends, the texture is all! :clap: :clap: :clap:

ponting
09-07-2006, 04:56 PM
Thanks Stephanie

You're so right....texture is what it's all about. I truly enjoy the challenge of textures which is why I so much loved doing the one I posted in the still life forum called Stitch in Time”. The texture changed with every square inch keeping it continuously interesting.

Cheers and thanks for stopping by.....Dianna :wave:

diash
09-07-2006, 05:25 PM
Hi Dianna - I had been browsing the SP forum and spotted your new posting. Your painting is absolutely wonderful; it is soft and sexy, the contrast between the hard egg and the soft satin washed over with the same tonal colour reminds me of a Galaxy Chocolate advert from a few years ago. It would in fact make excellent advertising material.
The depth of your talents holds no bounds. Another fine masterpiece from the house of Ponting!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

ponting
09-07-2006, 07:48 PM
Hello Sunshine...how nice to hear from you and such nice words you speak too :lol: Would like to have seen that ad...
Now we're into sexy, sensuous and glamorous....all for an egg :wink2: ......I tell you we will have egglings before long.

Cheers and thanks Diana....Di

K Taylor-Green
09-07-2006, 08:04 PM
This is where we need a jawdrop icon. *Sigh* It's the only response to something this shimmery and realistic. Where do you get the patience?

ponting
09-07-2006, 11:11 PM
Thanks Kate. It's not a very large painting so it only took about 5 hours so I didn't have time to get bored. :lol:

Cheers, Di

scall0way
09-09-2006, 12:44 PM
Wow, I can't get over the detail for such a small piece. The fabric is absolutely silky and luscious. I want to grab it and just run it over my cheeks - removing the egg first of course! No need for yolk on my cheek, :lol:. It's just the sort of stunner I always know to expect from you!

JamieWG
09-09-2006, 01:55 PM
Beautifully done as always. 'Love the warm, delicious color and the sheen.

Jamie

whizzysha
09-09-2006, 02:22 PM
everyone's already said all the words I was thinking, so ditto!!!!!!!!!!!:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

HarvestMoon
09-09-2006, 03:28 PM
Oh, my this is totally amazing. Can't even believe it. Lovely. Perfect.

ponting
09-09-2006, 05:32 PM
Debbie, Jamie, Sharon and HM...thanks so much for stopping by. I actually didn't think much about this painting one way or the other when I first finished it....just another piece of work but as I go by it every day now hanging on my wall awaiting framing....it'r really beginning to grow on me...possibly even excite me and it's been a while since one did that. :) Perhaps it's all the great comments from the likes of you all!!

Cheers, Dianna :cat: :wave:

*Deirdre*
09-09-2006, 06:19 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Sep-2006/33616-11613-jawdrop.gif http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Sep-2006/33616-icon_salut.gif http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Sep-2006/33616-23460-smiley_bow.gif All the words I wanted to use have been used already....except fabulous!:wave: :D

ponting
09-09-2006, 06:50 PM
Thank you Deirdre...http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Sep-2006/34523-kiss.gif I think your predjudiced. :lol:

*Deirdre*
09-09-2006, 07:14 PM
Thank you Deirdre...http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Sep-2006/34523-kiss.gif I think your predjudiced. :lol:

And what, may I ask, makes you think that, your Majesty?:wink2: :wave:

Morris T. Howard
09-12-2006, 02:09 AM
Hi Dianna,

I love your work.:):clap: :clap:

Morris

ponting
09-12-2006, 02:55 AM
You have to go to sleep Morris....it's way past your bedtime in Tennessee. You can read all of those threads tonight. :lol:

Cheers and thanks so very much.!!

Dianna :wave:

Morris T. Howard
09-12-2006, 03:21 AM
Dianna,

I'm taking your adivce! Good night! :wave:

Morris

Mary Brigid
09-12-2006, 04:57 AM
I can feel the silky texture of the satin. It is just fantastic. I have tried to do fabric and failed badly. Well done to you.

ponting
09-12-2006, 11:19 AM
Hello Mary. Perhaps your interests are elsewhere like in the lovely landscapes that you do. I find that possible subjects in that category have to either thrill me or at least inspire me a great deal or I lose interest in them very quickly and hence don't do a satisfying job in the end. I've just recently in this life realized how much I love still life....I mean truly love it! Perhaps that's why I do it well and you paint your beautifly Ireland well. :p
Thanks so much for taking the time to comment

Morris...thank you for your dedication expressed by staying up so very late. Morris PM'd me with his plans of reviewing all of my threads this past evening and I believe he actually did it! :lol: We have a mutual admiration society beginning here and you might join in by checking out his wonderful work. :thumbsup:

dbjs
09-12-2006, 02:19 PM
wow! That is absolutly beautiful! I really like the toning and the "flow" the fabric has. Great job! how long did it take to do?

ponting
09-12-2006, 02:23 PM
Hello Dorte....nice to see you here. This was a one-day project so it ran me about 8 hous. The sateen was a new challenge for me and I really enjoyed it though more than 8 hours on fabric may not be so much fun the second time around. :lol: