PDA

View Full Version : Best Way to store Gouache paintings

JanB
09-03-2006, 05:51 PM
Since it's unlikely that I will frame my gouache paintings as I complete them what's the best way to store and protect them? I just read Robin's thread where she mentions that they are somewhat fragile. Can you use plexi-glass when you frame???

Richard Saylor
09-03-2006, 06:35 PM
Since it's unlikely that I will frame my gouache paintings as I complete them what's the best way to store and protect them? I just read Robin's thread where she mentions that they are somewhat fragile. Can you use plexi-glass when you frame???Yes, but as with any painting, don't let the plexiglass touch the paint surface.

It seems to be okay to stack gouache paintings, one on top of another, and keep them in a clean, dry environment. Just be careful when you handle them.

Richard

JanB
09-04-2006, 07:56 AM
Just be careful when you handle them. I'm such a klutz :rolleyes: I'd better put them away and only take them out when I'm ready to frame :lol:

robertsloan2
12-22-2017, 11:42 PM
Glassine over the painting surface would probably help with stacking them. That way if any moisture did get into the closet or the box, they won't stick to the back of the painting above them.

I either do them in bound sketchbooks and journals, where they get shelved with the book shut when it's full and are protected by other pages while I work on my current page, or I put them into Itoya Profolio binders with clear archival page holders over a black archival backing sheet. Some are stored in Blick archival clamshell storage boxes with glassine between the layers.

Merritt
12-30-2017, 06:11 AM
I have painted gouache for many years, once I have finished each painting, it gets a good spay of artists fixative, this does two things, it pulls the colour up like a matt varnish, and gives it a protective coating so it won't chalk/rub. I can then stack them with a slip sheet of baking paper between each one. Hope this helps you all, fixative is the secret do a small test painting to see how it performs.