PDA

View Full Version : Dad's Watches

Robin Neudorfer
09-03-2006, 02:18 PM
This is also from a few years past. I gave it to my father as a gift at some point, and when he passed away, it was given back to me. I will always think of him when I see this, because he had a collection of these pocket watches.
Gouache 4x6 illus. board

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Sep-2006/30341-Time_Piece.jpg

JamieWG
09-03-2006, 03:02 PM
Beautifully detailed, Robin. You really captured the glistening golds. I love your knock-out on the left side.

Jamie

JanB
09-03-2006, 05:46 PM
Very refined and wonderful draftsmanship. How lovely that you have this as a reminder of your dad, very special!

pinkrybns
09-03-2006, 05:49 PM
Wonderful!!

What brand, or sort, of illustration board did you use? I'm guessing a very smooth surface, right?

Robin Neudorfer
09-03-2006, 06:44 PM
Jamie - thanks! I had fun with the irregular edge, but I remember it was a paint to cut.

JanG - Yes, it is very special to me.

Judy - TY, I don't usually like slick board or paper, so I am thinking it most likely is cold press, which I don't find to be very rough, just a bit of tooth to grab the paint.

Sonia
09-04-2006, 07:41 AM
Great reflections - you've obviously got the measure of this gouache!

AriadneArts
09-04-2006, 09:29 AM
Excellent piece! How beautifully you've captured the detail in gouache. I simply MUST try this medium soon!

And isn't it wonderful how a painting can garner more and more meaning as time goes by......?

Robin Neudorfer
09-05-2006, 10:33 PM
Sonia - I love gouache. It's creamy texture is really luscious.

Eileen - thank you very much. Start small if you do attempt this.
I love paintings with meaning. I am getting involved with some drawings that have personal stories. I hope that they are successful. I have never worked with that in mind.

Jon
09-06-2006, 04:33 PM
Well, I need to visit this new forum more often!
This is a beautiful piece of art and a thoughtful
and treasured gift, I am sure.. Well done!

Robin Neudorfer
09-06-2006, 05:40 PM
How kind you are Jon.
I think it would be a good idea to stop by more often.

ponting
09-06-2006, 05:58 PM
Exquisite painting Robin....right up my alley and pandering to my exact tastes.:clap: :clap: :clap:

Cheers, Dianna :wave:

Robin Neudorfer
09-06-2006, 07:21 PM
Wow, Dianna. What nice things you say. Thank you for that.

Richard Saylor
09-07-2006, 07:07 AM
Robin, you have really done some impressive work with gouache. I like it very much!

After reading that some photorealist artists, such as Tennant, use an airbrush in order to obtain very smooth shading, I've been interested in trying it myself. However, it seems like such a cumbersome implement, rather like trying to do a digital painting with a mouse. I wonder whether you have ever used gouache or watercolor in an airbrush, and if so, what do you think of it?

Richard

Dallen
09-07-2006, 12:19 PM
Exquisite! The mother of pearl watch face is incredibly well done and the metal sings. How delighted your Dad must have been to see his treasures so lovingly depicted in this painting. The composition is wonderful.

andymathis
09-07-2006, 12:24 PM
I have used watercolor in an airbrush- very helpful for pushing objects into the background.

Robin Neudorfer
09-07-2006, 02:23 PM
Thank you Richard.
Yes I knew artists that used the airbrush also. I bought one, but I just did not like it. I really am in love with the brush. I think after practicing to gradate and layer the medium, one can get smooth results with a brush.
I have been told I would love digital drawing, but I really love paper, pencil, water, paint, etc. Plus there is something to be said about seeing my hand and heartbeat in the work.

Thank you Dallen for you nice comments.

Andy - yes I have seen the air brush used with in marvelous ways

lonestar
09-08-2006, 10:18 AM
Wow! absolutely stunning - beautiful, touching piece of work.
dawn

Robin Neudorfer
09-08-2006, 12:16 PM
Thank you Dawn. Very kind of you to say.

tentativeartist
09-08-2006, 12:59 PM
This is absolutely beautiful! :clap: I imagine he was very touched by this gift. Your "heartbeat" (as you called it ;) ) is very evident in this work. You've inspired me to order some gouache myself! :D

Robin Neudorfer
09-08-2006, 01:38 PM
Gosh... I love it when I have inspired someone to try something new.
May I suggest, that you practice with paint swatches before you launch into your masterpiece.

Fireman's kid
09-10-2006, 11:25 AM
Robin, I didn't know you worked in gouache. I had seen the Porsche before but didn't know what medium you used. Both that painting and this one are wonderful!! Wish I could see them in person.

I think I'll add gouache to my list of things I want to try "someday". Although I doubt it will be someday soon since my list is longer than I am tall. :lol:

Robin Neudorfer
09-10-2006, 06:30 PM
Thanks for stopping by Stacy. That gouache may dry up before you get around to using it. I know... mine did.

Desiree
09-10-2006, 06:46 PM
Robin,

This piece is absolutely beautiful. Your reflections are wonderful, I want to reach out and pick one of them up! I think I love the story behind some of your pieces almost as well as the piece. I think it helps bring the viewer into a private place often only known by the artist. It now is more than a wonderful painting, it is a memory for all of us, a tells a special story about you and your dad,thanks for sharing.

yogi
09-11-2006, 09:51 AM
((nods in agreement at Desiree's comments)) It is a beautiful work, Robin. Touching. Thanks for sharing this.

Robin Neudorfer
09-13-2006, 12:24 PM
Desiree - Hi there! I always consider how personal I am going to be when posting a particular piece. For me the good art that I do goes deep within. So to share a bit about the why and how, gives the art strength.
Thank you for your kind words. It helps to know that it has touched someone else.

Yogi - Thank you I appreciate that.

Weezy
09-13-2006, 02:53 PM
I know what you mean Robin. I have an oil that I did of my husband's pipe, coffee cup and ashtray (thank god he doesn't smoke anymore), and it means the world to me, regardless of quality(it sucks). He was a sailor for 21 years, and when these things were out, it meant he was home. So its entitled "Dick's Home",. Lousey painting, but I could cry when I see it.

But this one is anything but lousey. Its very, very nice. Confidently handled and ingeniously composed. Lovely.

eclair
09-14-2006, 07:31 PM
Hi Robin. I am fairly new here and saw your Porsche here a few weeks ago and I saved the link to show my 18 year old son who is a car freak (a relative also is a Porsche mechanic, so we've seen a few in our day!). Anyway, showed it to my son, he said, oh yeah it's nice - then I said, it's a painting....well, he nearly fell over (and he said something totally unrepeatable here but extremely complimentary!!!). My son does art too and it takes a lot to impress him, but your work did!

Anyway, I love your artwork and I am so reassured now I realise you use the other mediums as well.... I don't feel so guilty for alternating now to suit my mood! So lovely to see someone really put their soul into their work - that is something to admire.

ps. Am putting Gauche on my list soon! After I tackle oils and manage to post something on this site!

eclair
Hi Robin. I am fairly new here and saw your Porsche here a few weeks ago and I saved the link to show my 18 year old son who is a car freak (a relative also is a Porsche mechanic, so we've seen a few in our day!). Anyway, showed it to my son, he said, oh yeah it's nice - then I said, it's a painting....well, he nearly fell over (and he said something totally unrepeatable here but extremely complimentary!!!). My son does art too and it takes a lot to impress him, but your work did!

Anyway, I love your artwork and I am so reassured now I realise you use the other mediums as well.... I don't feel so guilty for alternating now to suit my mood! So lovely to see someone really put their soul into their work - that is something to admire.

ps. Am putting Gauche on my list soon! After I tackle oils and manage to post something on this site!

eclair
Oops got so excited I double posted but can't delete the message, only the contents!:D

Robin Neudorfer
09-14-2006, 07:58 PM
Weezy - Thanks for sharing you story. It truly gives you a connection to the art work. I appreciate your kind comments.

eclair - got a double blip did you? Two for the money... haha
First of all Welcome to Wet Canvas.
A car freak in the family, oh no! I went to school with just a few too. Now they are off and designing them.
No, never feel guilty for alternating medium. Especially when you want to learn a new method, it is always reassuring to come back to that which is comfortable.
Your words are so kind, and made my day. It hasn't been an easy one, so to end it on an upnote, is greatly appreciated.

Fozbot
10-12-2006, 10:17 PM
Robin, these watches are absolutely exquisite! great job on the gold and the reflections make this really shine in more ways than one!

HarvestMoon
10-13-2006, 08:01 PM
Robin, that is totally amazing how you got that shinyness on the watch cases!!!
cheers,
Linda

Adriela
11-08-2006, 03:47 AM
I don't even know what to say, this is so beautiful. Perhaps it needs no words.

Robin Neudorfer
11-08-2006, 09:22 AM
Billie - sorry for not being here to say thank you before this. Life has been topsy turvy, as you well know. Thanks for having a look

Linda - There is something about gouache, it likes to do "shiny" very much. Thank you so much for your nice comment.

Adriela - I do appreciate the words that you did use Adriela. So kind.
I also enjoyed looking at your work. Beautiful website.

Adriela
11-09-2006, 02:05 AM
Robin, you were very kind to do so, thank you..:) I have a tube of zinc white gouache, and titanium white gouache and they both scare me to death. Actually, I'm sort of kidding, but if I buy any more paints. Or paper, or brushes, I think my husband is going to have a coronary.

Robin Neudorfer
11-09-2006, 09:08 AM
Adriela - I think there are many here that are in that same club with you. However, as a carpenter needs a hammer and nalls, I have no choice.

Adriela
11-10-2006, 10:44 PM
I just keep coming back here to stare at this..:)

Robin Neudorfer
11-12-2006, 03:40 PM
You are very kind.