PDA

View Full Version : What's the difference.....

screechin
09-03-2006, 02:04 PM
:clap::clap: I'm sooo happy!!! I recently discovered that I can get the Utah PBS channel on my satellite and it carries Jerry Yarnell!!! I've been enjoying watching his programs the last few weekends. What a talented man!!!

While checking out his website, I noticed that he uses #2 soft Vine charcoal to sketch his painting subject on his canvas. I also was checking out Dick Blick to compare prices, but I only found 1 Vine charcoal and lots and lots of Willow charcoal and other various charcoals. So what's the difference between "Charcoal", "Vine Charcoal" and "Willow Charcoal"? Are the differences significant enough to really make a difference? And what do you use to sketch/draw on your canvases, charcoal or graphite?

Lady Carol
09-03-2006, 02:06 PM
Essentially what it is made from...willow is made from willow, vine from vine, etc. I do not know of the differences. Maybe some one else does.

timelady
09-03-2006, 04:31 PM
Found it here: http://www.universityart.com/news105.htm
Scroll down to 'Ask Bramschandoz'. :)

Tina.

dreamz
09-03-2006, 11:19 PM
the number denotes the softness just like in pencil lead, or is that hardness? You might want to also ask in the Drawing section..

tamiboo
09-04-2006, 12:45 AM
:clap::clap: I'm sooo happy!!! I recently discovered that I can get the Utah PBS channel on my satellite and it carries Jerry Yarnell!!! I've been enjoying watching his programs the last few weekends. What a talented man!!!

I get him here in NC on Saturday mornings on BYUT at 10:30 and 4:30. I do like to watch him paint and I have picked a lot of good pointers from him...